Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have used this in oil using engines in the past with some success:

Engine Restorer

You add it at every oil change. You could also try going to a higher viscosity oil such as 10W40 or 20W50 to slow the usage.

The 2009+ is a different engine, 2.5l vs 2.4l. I've no idea if the existing electronics would work with the newer engine. Even if it did the overall expense would likely exceed the value of the vehicle.
If you are going use additive with every oil change, that is about the same as using 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles.
I had a car years ago that used 1 quart every 800 miles. Some of the older cars may even use more. I went to a single weight oil during the summer months only, and just checked and added oil every week. Much cheaper than an engine job or a new engine at more than $1000.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Be careful not to bend that damper in the hole. Apparently it's so important Toyota issued a TSB about it. You can get a funnel with threads that screws into the hole just like the cap. They are available on Amazon.
You can also use an empty 1 qt bottle of oil with the bottom cut off. Usually fits the threads perfectly on a Toyota.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
You can also use an empty 1 qt bottle of oil with the bottom cut off. Usually fits the threads perfectly on a Toyota.
I use a bleach jug and it works quite well also as a screw on funnel. I can turn the handle when screwing it down.

·
Super Moderator
11,239 Posts
If you are going use additive with every oil change, that is about the same as using 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles.
I had a car years ago that used 1 quart every 800 miles. Some of the older cars may even use more. I went to a single weight oil during the summer months only, and just checked and added oil every week. Much cheaper than an engine job or a new engine at more than $1000.
The point of adding Engine Restorer is that it drastically reduces oil consumption. Admittedly it's a last ditch effort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How much are you actually spending on oil? I'd be willing to bet you're getting several thousand mpg. Just another (practical) way to look at it.
We've got an '09 Camry and it's usingabout 3-4 qts. every 1000 mi. and Toyota has just ignored us and my wife is thinking of buying a used Rav4 I'm trying to talk her out of it since early 80's been a loyal Toyota owner and still have a '96 Tacoma SR5 that's been a pretty good truck but after the way Toyota has treated us never again will I buy or promote anyone to buy a Toyota product again!!!!! I am disabled now and cannot afford to have the car fixed.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
the quart per 600 mile thing is phooey for us. we have been going thru a quart every couple/few hundred miles on our '06, easily. esp. in summer.

this year we switched to 20/50 in summer and that helped alot.

now back to 5/30 in winter (northeast cold), so i would anticipate the usual headache.

that said, compared to a new motor, a bunch of oil is not a big expense by any stretch. but it sure is a pain in the rear to keep remembering to add oil....

i think i just gotta get on a once a week thing to add a quart. i keep doing every month or so.

our car has 140k so far and is very well cared for. it's likely we'll just drive this thing till it stops and relegate it eventually to spare car duty. in that scenario, burning a lot of oil won't be an issue.
Your car can still be traded without a heavy loss since you did not fix the engine. Not everyone knows about the high oil consumption.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your car can still be traded without a heavy loss since you did not fix the engine. Not everyone knows about the high oil consumption.
Well that would be lying to not inform someone of an issue with the car and while that seems to be the norm nowadays in this sin filled world, as both of us devout Christians we couldn't dishonor and sin against God by being untruthful. So many seem to have no problem with it but there is a day coming when we will answer for all we do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are trading in your car to say a mazda dealership, they won't ask. So technically you are not lying if they don't ask.
Anyway our 07 is a burner and like many, during the time of the consumption tests it passed how coincidental.... I'm not going to bother, I check it once in awhile and like others have said, I really only change my oil once a year because I keep adding new oil so it stays fresh. Keep in mind this is a second car to us and maybe drive about 6k kms a year on it for the past 2 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Adding a quart every 6-700 miles meaning every other weekend. Someone said Toyota will lose customers. They lost this one in July. Bought a 2019 Tiguan. By by Toyota.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is this still live thread? ;) I had my 2006 RAV4 2.4L burning/going through the oil (didn't really measure how much). I made an executive decision to replace the cylinder head gasket for there were obvious signs of oil leakage around the head. Job was relatively easy, a bit tedious. The old gasket was dried out and brittle like a thin glass. I hope that will help my Ravy to run a bit longer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just want people to know that I stumbled upon this by accident. I posted here before. We still have our 2006 RAV that underwent the Piston repair at around 90,000 miles. That was the good news and it was covered under warranty even better news. However we made the foolish mistake of keeping the rav and at 160,000 miles guess what the problems back again. Guess what they're not covering it. Guess what the car is now my daughter's because she puts very few miles on it and I check and add a quart of oil every 800 to 1200 mi. Guess what we now own a new Forester and a new Legacy. Guess what Toyota lost a customer over this shame on them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just want people to know that I stumbled upon this by accident. I posted here before. We still have our 2006 RAV that underwent the Piston repair at around 90,000 miles. That was the good news and it was covered under warranty even better news. However we made the foolish mistake of keeping the rav and at 160,000 miles guess what the problems back again. Guess what they're not covering it. Guess what the car is now my daughter's because she puts very few miles on it and I check and add a quart of oil every 800 to 1200 mi. Guess what we now own a new Forester and a new Legacy. Guess what Toyota lost a customer over this shame on them.
I hear ya. See my previous post above. I've had some success using Seafoam engine cleaner. I went from adding oil every 7-800 miles to every 12-1300 miles. It's getting another treatment now. You have to drive it 300 miles with the Seafoam in the oil then change the oil and filter. Might want to consider it.

I never had the ring/piston change done... long story. Looks like I would have been in your situation in the long run. Another good reason to leave Toyota. That said, my RAV is still running fine at 210K miles.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
That engine was poorly designed. Your testament proves a rebuilt engine is a short term solution that will return back.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts