Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys

I love coming here and get great tips from y'all
I have 2007 Toyota Rav4 2007 FWD with 108000 miles on it.
My car has been running great (no problem at all), but I received a letter from Toyota for excessive oil consumption test. So I went to the dealership for test and it failed. They scheduled me to to fix the issue and recommended do some part replacements meanwhile since I don't have to pay any labor fee during this recall process.
Here are the few options and prices. Let me know what you guys think if I should replace any of them or it's worth it. (again, I haven't had any problems with my car yet)

These are all just parts price since all labor cost is covered.
1. Waterpump replacement
$210

2. Thermostat - $20
Gasket, Water inlet - $10

3. Spark Plug - $45

4. Alternator belt(V-ribbed) replace - $140

I am planning on keeping my car at least 5 more years. I know that I'd save a lot since I don't have to pay any labor price.
Do any of the replacements worth the money at the moment? Or any other parts I can consider replacing?

They said I have 24 hours to respond back to them if I do want to proceed with repair/ replacement.
Please let me know what you guys think asap!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Those seem like pretty good prices, though I think you could get the alternator belt cheaper. All in all, I would go for it--something about coming out of this with a lot of fresh engine components. The water pump is a common wear item, nice to get it done in advance. Some have mentioned they wished they had done the valve seals while the head is off, but not sure about that one, or what the additional cost would be.

Let us know how it goes for you!

Reactions: green4000

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Yeah, go to the dealer parts department and buy the belt for $47, then hand it to them when you turn the car in.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
On rock auto the AC Delco belt is 23 bucks and water pump is less than 50......however if you can't do the work yourself the water pump isn't a terrible price even tho they are screwing you....I would also do as Junebug suggest with the belt...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question

Yeah, go to the dealer parts department and buy the belt for $47, then hand it to them when you turn the car in.
Thank you for the input.
Another question:
I have replaced alternator 2 years ago thru Toyota dealership.
Does that mean alternator belt has been replaced as well or just alternator?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question

Those seem like pretty good prices, though I think you could get the alternator belt cheaper. All in all, I would go for it--something about coming out of this with a lot of fresh engine components. The water pump is a common wear item, nice to get it done in advance. Some have mentioned they wished they had done the valve seals while the head is off, but not sure about that one, or what the additional cost would be.

Let us know how it goes for you!
On rock auto the AC Delco belt is 23 bucks and water pump is less than 50......however if you can't do the work yourself the water pump isn't a terrible price even tho they are screwing you....I would also do as Junebug suggest with the belt...

Thank you for the input.
Another question:

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Thank you for the input.
Another question:
I doubt it, I just recently had my water pump replaced and had a new OEM belt installed. I asked for the old belt back and it looked perfect, in fact I'm keeping it as a spare.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all,

Update: The piston kit finally arrived after a 3 month wait and they took 4 days to do the engine work, they replaced the pistons and piston rings. - Southern California Toyota.

Charged me $230 for new water pump, said it showed evidence of leaking (even tho i had a new water pump installed 1 year ago by another auto shop)

When I received the car everything worked. The engine is a little louder than I remembered and the gas mileage on the first tank driven is somewhat lower than what i was averaging, but the acceleration seems to be stronger than before the piston work.

I will monitor gas mileage on the next tank and if its noticeably lower again, will give toyota a call, but i doubt they can/would do anything.

Total cost: $230 (180 for water pump part and $50 for labor)

They said nothing else needed to be replaced, spark plugs and drive belt were fine (car is at 100k miles)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts