Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice. I own a 2007 Rav4. in March I had the oil consumption test done and the vehicle at that time only consumed .7 of a quart of oil. The dealership said that the vehicle passed the test. No fix was needed for the vehicle. Since that time we are noticing that it is consuming more and more oil. It is eating about 1 quart if not more per thousand miles. This to me is excessive. I had the vehicle back to the dealer in November for a seat belt recall. They did an inspection of the vehicle and I spoke with the Service Manager at the dealership told them my concerns about the oil at that time and he told me to bring the vehicle back in Jan. Dropped the car off and now told the oil consumption program ended in Oct of 2016 and they could do nothing for me. They suggested that I contact Toyota directly. I called Toyota and they basically sounded like they were reading from a script.. same thing. nothing that they can do for me. They suggested that I write a letter to the Executive Office for Toyota located in Plano Texas. I have been a satisfied Toyota owner up to this point. Toyota knows that they have issues with the engine that is in my car. It is a safety issue. Has anyone else experience this type of an issue and if so how did you get Toyota to respond in a favorable manner. I would like for them to do another test on the consumption and if there is an issue to stand behind their product and fix the vehicle. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Bev

·
Registered
163 Posts
Question.......when they tested your engine for excessive oil usage, did they use 5W30? i question them on that, they said its presented by Toy-Corp that way(their guidelines) so 5w30 would "skew" the results in their favor, in my case, vehicle eating a quart every 350- 400 miles no matter what oil weight used, i do all high-speed/rpm driving( consumed at a higher rate) so maybe that was what every vehicle with this issue was to do......high speed driving during most of the test phase. It should state what type oil they used on the report.....carefully look at it, you may contest it and use as a leverage to get a retest using what they delivered vehicle with, which i believe is 0-20w, so i don't know what they will do for you.....if they do a retest, drive it....like you stole it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info .. I checked the original paperwork and they did use Valvoline 5W30. I will use this information when I am writing my letter to all the top personnel at Toyota. Good to know.

·
Registered
163 Posts
if you can get a retest, also make sure you have no oil build up around the valve cover, oil pan gasket seal......anything that would displace oil on the outside of engine, basically steam clean your engine to prove to them there is no visible oil on the outside of motor, that's what i did and then dropped off and took pics of everything where oil could seep out for my records, make sure they take pics of the oil level and condition of any oil seepage before they put security tamper sealing tape on dipstick,oil filter and oil drain plug, stay with the vehicle as much as u can when they prep for test, ask them that you want proof that its at the proper level before test, research everything on this forum related to this issue, don't trust them........i was in good with my testing dealer, my mother buys a new avalon every 4-5 years from them and has here vehicle service by them so i used that to my advantage when the test was complete and failed with rebuild, i did pay for the $xtra$ and now at 50k after rebuild no problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts