Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a Rav4Hybrid. It is possible I may get a Limited. I do not like the chrome door handles in that trim and prefer color matched. How hard would it be to exchange the chrome with someone who wanted them and had the the correct color? Are locks, keys, etc., swappable? Is the procedure do-able by some one with good skills and regular tools, or are special tools necessary?

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
I appreciate your concern but........seriously? Would a chrome door handle stop you from buying a new car? The worst that could happen would be to take it to a shop that could strip and repaint the door handles to a color of your liking.

Honestly I have to laugh out loud that this minor thing would upset someone. No offense meant at all. I just find it totally amazing. Different strokes I guess. We're all different and I hope you find what you want.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
As a dedicated chrome hater I sympathise with you, but also RTexasF's point is well taken. Apart from accepting the chrome handles as they are, as he suggests the simplest course of action would be to have a good paint shop to have the handles prepped and painted as you wish.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a dedicated chrome hater I sympathise with you, but also RTexasF's point is well taken. Apart from accepting the chrome handles as they are, as he suggests the simplest course of action would be to have a good paint shop to have the handles prepped and painted as you wish.
I am a hands on person and a reasonably skilled mechanic. I've restored several cars and motorcycles with a lot of my effort spent on the cosmetic. I no longer have the facilities, but I still do the work/repairs/fixes I'm capable of for the fun of it. However, I've only painted a couple cars and no longer have the equipment. Taking it to a shop for this is not worth it.

On eBay and other places there are many adds for chrome door handle covers for the Rav4. Since there is a market for this, I thought there might be someone who would like to trade for the real thing. And perhaps someone who could point to the installation/removal process. It's the kind of info I often got on the Honda Element forum.

Further I make my living as a designer. Chrome door handles conflict with the look I hope to achieve with the car--color/wheels/etc.--should I buy it. If the XLE model had an adjustable lumbar support there would be no need for this discussion. In fact my next question on the forum was going to ask if the XLE has the power/wiring to accept the seat from a limited. A search found a coup from recently totaled Rav4 Limiteds.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Lumbar Support

I am a hands on person and a reasonably skilled mechanic. I've restored several cars and motorcycles with a lot of my effort spent on the cosmetic. I no longer have the facilities, but I still do the work/repairs/fixes I'm capable of for the fun of it. However, I've only painted a couple cars and no longer have the equipment. Taking it to a shop for this is not worth it.

On eBay and other places there are many adds for chrome door handle covers for the Rav4. Since there is a market for this, I thought there might be someone who would like to trade for the real thing. And perhaps someone who could point to the installation/removal process. It's the kind of info I often got on the Honda Element forum.

Further I make my living as a designer. Chrome door handles conflict with the look I hope to achieve with the car--color/wheels/etc.--should I buy it. If the XLE model had an adjustable lumbar support there would be no need for this discussion. In fact my next question on the forum was going to ask if the XLE has the power/wiring to accept the seat from a limited. A search found a coup from recently totaled Rav4 Limiteds.

Thanks for the replies.
I too have the XLE and miss the lumbar support found in other vehicles. My wife found the Aerocore lumbar support and seat cushion at Costco for $15. It's made a huge difference in comfort. Not as stylish but doesn't look out of place. Just a thought. I would have paid 3 times as much for the product. Best wishes in your hunt.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Like mentioned previously, I simply bought some cheap chrome handle covers and painted them body colour.
My 2008 Base handles are black from factory and I just hated it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts