Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I have an 07 v6 I just replaced the factory muffler(rusted out) with a Borla oval XR-1. I did remove the 3rd cat that has no sensor. I have noticed a decline in low end torque.
Has anyone noticed this problem when removing the 3rd cat?
I am wondering if I should put in a new cat.
Any suggestions? The Borla is a straight through flow muffler. Should I change it for something that creates some backpressure?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Some exhaust systems can change the exhaust pressure as you mentioned. Also some muffler produced more power only at higher speed level. So it seems all your power is at the higher end. I am not sure what the fix is but some how the system needs to be balanced to work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Before I removed the 3rd cat it had great low and high end torque, even with 180,000+ miles. I fee I may need to add the cat again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I am ordering a new cat and learning from this for the future. I have been looking for cat back exhaust packages for the Rav4V6 and can only find packages for Tacoma and Tundra and Camry V6.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Thanks. I am ordering a new cat and learning from this for the future. I have been looking for cat back exhaust packages for the Rav4V6 and can only find packages for Tacoma and Tundra and Camry V6.
Check Youtube out. There is a number of drivers with cat back exhaust systems. I don't think there is one made for the RAV4 so most of them must be universal ones. They sound cool but I hate to be in a car for hours listening to that noise. I would get a headache after a short time but it you love waking up the neighbors at 2am then this will annoy them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check out Youtube. I did find a person who put in a aftermarket super charger in his v6 Rav4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Removing the third cat will not effect the performance. It's just mental. You would have to increase the diameter of the piping after removing all the cats before it would effect tq.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
mxer125
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing