Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what would be the best sport cat back system for a 99 RAV4 2.0L 3SFE that would not be to loud. I'm planning on installing headers and a better flowing catalytic as well.

What I really mean is a system that I can install and still listen to my music and not have everyone looking my way when I pass by. Also, I've read some of the forums regarding different brands but not sure which one is the quietest.

Thanks in advce for your advice.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
For that year RAV4, I don't think their is one. I've tried to track Bosal Cat Back, and couldn't find one. Easy fix, do your own. Go to your nearest muffler shop and tell them what you want. Pricey :roll: yes, but you will have an original muffler. While your at it, do the performance Catalytic converter.

:roll: This is it, as you can see, it's not that dificult to do.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best Catalytic

Thanks for your info.

Just wondering what's a good performace catalytic, keeping in mind $$$. As usual money is always a deciding factor at the end in most cases, atleast for me.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
First of all, a Catalytic converter is a part that goes with all exhaust, it is to meet all federal and local environmental laws. But the OEM [Original Equipped from Manufacturer] is very restrictive. If you install a Header, you will have much needed power, [the 3SFE is not known to have much, until you unleash it]. A cool sound, and more gas mileage, for the same style of driving. I installed the header, a performance catalytic converter, using 2.25" pipes with a Magnaflow muffler. [remember I designed it myself.] You might need a flexible pipe. When engine torque, they tend to move, its a natural movement. But if you header is to rigid, it might crack with time. So a flexible pipe is recommended. Cost, about 20 bucks.

The top metal piece is the performance catalytic converter, the lower pipe is a performance resonator. Both of these parts come from the OEM. Only difference is that the diameter is 2.25". The engine will make more power.

After the exhaust, the intake is the next step. K&N filter are the best, without a doubt.

This is how it looks installed. The setup make a lot of power. Conservatively speaking, this engine should be in the neighborhood of about 150 HP, maybe more. The best part is that is has excellent fuel economy.

Money, a deciding factor? Aren't we all there? Welcome to the club. I've been on this fourm for about five years, and I'm still installing stuff. Not all at once I might add. All this has taken me quite a while to setup. :roll: BTW, I've also slept with the dog, my wife hates me modifing my RAV4.1.

:wink:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Catalytic/Resonator

Great ideas and pics. Thanks.

Mensajero or Mohit.

Just wondering with the vast amount of product out there is hard to decide what brand to pruchase. Can any of you give me an idea of which brand of resonator or catalytic convertor to buy. Thanks again for the help. I hate to keep asking stupid questions but I'm new at this and want to make sure I buy what is good.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Well, you get what you paid for. Check with Summit Racing. They have the best prices and shipping is free. Or, go to Froogle, and check for even better pricing.

Header, I think you only have one choice, that is Pacesetter or RAVoz.com [Australia], they also have a header for the 3SFE RAV4.

Mufflers you can go with Borla or Magnaflow. It's a question of personal opinion and your wallet, who is better.

Intake filter, I'll always say K&N. You might here some other opinions on this forum. :roll:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
The Drifter said:
Oh and just to let you know eahrayo, the K&N apollo intake that mensa is using isnt street legal here in the U.S. (hence the reason why its so hard to find one, if youve already tired to look for one).

hmm... wonder why its certified as a "race only" part?
Really, I didn't know that it's illegal to have this filter. Well, know that I remember it did take some time to get here. About a month an a half from Ohio :roll: Beleive me guys it give good power in high gear. You can ask a Corolla XRS and from the looks of it the guys was a racer. But he just saw my license plate and me getting away from him very, very very fast.

http://www.modernracer.com/toyotacorollaxrs.html

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks Mensa. I did not paint the flares. They are meant to be the same colour as the grey bumpers/cladding but look new as the bumpers/cladding have faded badly. I'll be getting all the grey palstic painted body colour when i get my tax return.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
mensajero said:
The Drifter said:
Oh and just to let you know eahrayo, the K&N apollo intake that mensa is using isnt street legal here in the U.S. (hence the reason why its so hard to find one, if youve already tired to look for one).

hmm... wonder why its certified as a "race only" part?
Really, I didn't know that it's illegal to have this filter. Well, know that I remember it did take some time to get here. About a month an a half from Ohio :roll: Beleive me guys it give good power in high gear. You can ask a Corolla XRS and from the looks of it the guys was a racer. But he just saw my license plate and me getting away from him very, very very fast.

http://www.modernracer.com/toyotacorollaxrs.html
I didnt realize it, but K&N even says it on their website (i didnt find out through them, but through one of their distrubutors that i was trying to order it from).... gah, well i tried to post a pic, but its not working, so here http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm look at the small print :roll: at the very bottom of the page

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Well, when the federal government say this. You know that they work great. I'd advice everyone to do the max effort to get them that really make a hell of the difference. On Saturday, I'm installing the Thermo-Tec I got from Summit is order to cool it down a bit so all the air that goes in will be as 8) as possible.

Today I made a little test. I just stopped and pop the clutch and notice when it started to pull. As soon as it hits 1,500 RPM, you feel the engine pulling harder then with the other K&N filter that I had.
I just did what Toysports recommended and it works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts