Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just installed a new front pipe from Bosal which is supposed to be driect replacement. Once I fixed their botch (they put the pipe together wrong at the flange) it fit up fine. Except for one thing. The flange is wedged against the oil pan. Just the round egde of it. I checked to see if it moves and it does not. Should this be a problem ? Here's the pic of the pipe uninstalled
http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=244

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it does, I don't hear any type of unusual noise since I've installed it. I shouldn't imagine it would because the oil pan and pipe would move in sync with the engine when it starts or moves during shifting. But maybe I could convince you to get strapped to my bumper just to be sure :idea: 8)

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
dnylrq said:
I don't think it does, I don't hear any type of unusual noise since I've installed it. I shouldn't imagine it would because the oil pan and pipe would move in sync with the engine when it starts or moves during shifting. But maybe I could convince you to get strapped to my bumper just to be sure :idea: 8)
You may want to be careful that it doesn't slowly eat away at the oilpan and you end up with a hole in it , that would not be good...
You could always have a muffler shop modify the pipe to clear the pan, or even cut and install a flex pipe in between...
Also to consider the exhaust piping touching the oilpan isn't too good either because of the heat... oil is hot enough as it is, no need to make it even hotter...

A

·
0 Posts
Perhaps you could fit 2 gaskets at the manifold joint to just lower the pipe to a level below the sump ?
Unsure if the joint there is a flat gasket or a tapered ring type though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts