Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you with custom exhausts, how loud does your RAV sound when you are accelerating? Is it more of a lower rumble, or is it high pitched and raspy like a weed whacker? I had my local shop install a Magnaflow muffler with dual outlets and it sounded like a go-kart and was headache-inducing loud inside. At idle and when running at low rpm at highway speeds, it sounded decent with a nice, low rumble, but once I put my foot down, it was horrible. Even the mechanic agreed with me. So now i have my car back at the shop for a resonator installation. I told the guys I wanted my exhaust note to be fairly quite (just louder than stock), but with a nice, low rumble to it. They recommended a 30" resonator. I really despise the cheapy-ricer-fart-can exhausts, which is why I wanted mine to be quiet. Should I have gone with a different muffler? Right now, I only had them install a cat-back (with hi-flow cat) since they wanted an arm and a head for a full exhaust from the manifold back, and would charge even more if I wanted a header.

Man, whatta headache.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've got a full sports exhaust system on my RAV now and it sounds much better than just the cannon muffler i used to have :oops: I have a Lukey sports header --> flex pipe --> 2.25" high flow cat --> resonator --> resonator --> Lukey Ultraflow sports muffler. All intermidiary exhaust piping is 2" in diameter. The 2 resonators give a nice throbby exhaust note. The Lukey Ultraflow muffler is sold as the Dynomax Ultraflow in America. Here's a sound clip of my exhaust: http://www.compact4wd.com/rav4oz/RAV4OZ_Team/Mohit/RAV4OZ/lukeymufflersoundclip01.wav

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size and brand resonators did you use, Mohit? That sounds pretty cool. Subdued, but with a racy tone. Does having a header instead of the stock manifold affect the sound much?

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
J-san, any car if you install a header or an exhaust the sound will be louder. You can lower it, but it is gong to cost you. That said, if you don't like the sound now. When you install a Performance filter, it will be even louder. Anything done to the intake and exhust will change the tone of the muffler. On this link you will see and listen to my muffler. Today, without a doubt, it sounds much louder. When I recorded this, I had the K&N filter, not the K&N Apollo filter. I'll try to record it and post it tomorrow.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1439978166339997854

·
Registered
302 Posts
changing your muffler will definitely make your exhaust loud and Magnaflow is no exemption.......now the only thing you can do is change the tone by adding your resonator.......30" is ideal to get that low rumble just like Mohit's.....post sound clips so everybody can hear....Good Luck!...............after this MOD, go for a header to complement the high flow exhaust and a CAI if you have not installed it yet!

·
Registered
62 Posts
so if you install and new or leave the stock resonator on will this decrease the flow ? and not give you all the performance that you could get ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
performance wise an aftermarket resonator can only give you a slight gain but it will surely improve the exhaust tone.

below are setups you can choose from......cat back or axle back....

with an axleback you are only changing your muffler and you are retaining your stock resonator and cat.....overall pipe diameter is unchanged.....

with catback you are changing your exhaust from cat to muffler with that you can change your pipe diameter to a larger one, could be 2" or 2.25".........you can replace your OEM cat with a high flow cat, too. the size of your resonator should at least be the same as your new pipe. length would be the deciding factor for tone......

aside from all of this, serious modifiers installs an aftermarket header and a larger diameter downpipe.......+ CAI...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well guys, I picked up my car and it has a MUCH better sound than before. The 30" resonator really made the difference between a grimace or a smile while driving. Now it is slightly louder than stock and I can put my foot down without fear of being nailed by cops for noise pollution. (police in my area are strict on that). I noticed my RAV seems to pull slightly harder than normal when I am above 4000 rpms. Not much, but a slight gain. I may be able to increase performance a tiny bit more by installing a shroud to completely block my "warm-air intake" filter from sucking in hot engine bay air. We shall see. I would so love to put in that Pacesetter header Mensajero has, but money is tight right now and I don't have a clue on how to do it.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Boo_Duh! said:
performance wise an aftermarket resonator can only give you a slight gain but it will surely improve the exhaust tone.

below are setups you can choose from......cat back or axle back....

with an axleback you are only changing your muffler and you are retaining your stock resonator and cat.....overall pipe diameter is unchanged.....

with catback you are changing your exhaust from cat to muffler with that you can change your pipe diameter to a larger one, could be 2" or 2.25".........you can replace your OEM cat with a high flow cat, too. the size of your resonator should at least be the same as your new pipe. length would be the deciding factor for tone......

aside from all of this, serious modifiers installs an aftermarket header and a larger diameter downpipe.......+ CAI...

So for clarification if i leave the stock resonater on it should not decrease the "value" of added hp I will gain from adding a axel back muffler? the reason I am asking is that if I put on the cat back I dont want it to sound like crap, so I figure I can do an axel back and see how it sounds then if I am brave I can go cat back.. this will incurr of course more labour charges but less then if I go cat back and want to install a resonater after. Anyone have opinions any other opinions on this?

·
Registered
302 Posts
You're right you still gain some by changing your axle back.....you can keep your OEM resonator if you are satisfied with the results...(sound & HP wise)......

·
Registered
62 Posts
well i wont be satisfied with hp until i am running a lexus V8 like that rally rav :) but has anyone ever installed a dynomax superturbo on a rav w/o the resonator? what is the sound like?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I took some photos of my custom exhaust.

http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1690

http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1691

http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1692

http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1693

There she is. I think it looks pretty cool with tips exiting on both sides of the tow bar. I actually had a guy come up to me in the parking lot at the grocery store asking about my TRD RAV-S. To make a long story short, I always wanted to tune my RAV, so as a joke, my dad picked up a TRD and -S emblem from Thailand on his travels and stuck them on my car. According to him, the S stands for "stupid" and the TRD stands for "totally ridiculous development" :lol:

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
J-san said:
Ok, I took some photos of my custom exhaust.

http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1690

http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1691

http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1692

http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1693

There she is. I think it looks pretty cool with tips exiting on both sides of the tow bar. I actually had a guy come up to me in the parking lot at the grocery store asking about my TRD RAV-S. To make a long story short, I always wanted to tune my RAV, so as a joke, my dad picked up a TRD and -S emblem from Thailand on his travels and stuck them on my car. According to him, the S stands for "stupid" and the TRD stands for "totally ridiculous development" :lol:
Just awesome J-san, just awesome. One point if I may. Take a black spray paint, [heat] and spray the exhaust pipe, except the exhaust tip. This will give it years of service without any rust accumulation. Do you live close to the beach? Or do you go to the sand dooms and jump in your RAV4? I see a lot of rust. My advice is to flush it out as best as you can. Then spray paint everything under your chassis, better yet, do some 3M under coat. You need it. It will also keep the vibration and sound out of the passenger compartment. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Mensajero! Yeah, there is a lot of rust. All thanks to living in snowy Minnesota (one reason why I got the 4WD). Every winter, the DOT dumps tons of salt/sand mix on the roads to prevent ice buildup. Great for improving road conditions, but it causes lots of rusting :cry: 3M undercoat. Is that the rubbery spray-on stuff?

·
Registered
302 Posts
sound clip, please.......

looks great!

make sure to spray your pipes with high heat paint to stop rust especially on the weld parts.....the person who made the welds should have treated those welds so it wont rust like that....

when applying the paint make sure to clean the pipe well...You MUST make sure the part you are painting is very clean and oil free.....acetone or alcohol will work...after painting and a bit of drying run your engine for 5 min or so to heat cycle it.....then you are good to go!!!

how's the performance by the way???

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
J-san said:
Thanks, Mensajero! Yeah, there is a lot of rust. All thanks to living in snowy Minnesota (one reason why I got the 4WD). Every winter, the DOT dumps tons of salt/sand mix on the roads to prevent ice buildup. Great for improving road conditions, but it causes lots of rusting :cry: 3M undercoat. Is that the rubbery spray-on stuff?
Yep, once again, the exhaust system look great.

·
Registered
682 Posts
slack31337 said:
well i wont be satisfied with hp until i am running a lexus V8 like that rally RAV :) but has anyone ever installed a dynomax superturbo on a RAV w/o the resonator? what is the sound like?
mensajero said:
I think Moza did that. But is will be very loud, very loud.
Just for the record i do not have a Dynomax Superturbo muffler. I have a Lukey Ultraflow muffler (a.k.a. Dynomax Ultraflow) and i have 2 resonators between the muffler and high flow cat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts