Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Finally I installed cold air intake on my Rav4. It really goes better now, and the sound is cool! :wink:
The second present for my car will be exaust system. Does it make any results if I will only change muffler? Or it will only change the sound? What is the correct exhaust system for R4 - what parts does it include?
Also, what other modifications can I install in order to get some power and/or comfort?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Once you start mingling with the exhaust, you cannot get any comfort out of it unless you're using at least 2mm thick steel pipes. If you change the rear muffler only, you will not notice much gain, but noise only.

Changing the exhaust from the standard to a maximum of 2.25" would be recommended, but you will loose a little bit of low end power, but better response rate at the top end of the band.

There is hardly any pre-fabricated exhaust for the RAV4 in your area, but plenty in Japan and few more Asian countries. Hence you have to do the exhaust system custom.

Remember not to use resonators from the brand "coby". They are really noisy and will be suicidal when you're inside your RAV4.

Welcome and happy raving.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I really like the HKS Sport muffler and custom 2.25" catback exhaust system on my RAV. Not too loud at idle, but definitely noticeable when accelerating. It sounds more like a throaty growl than those annoying tinny high-pitched sound you hear from cheap aftermarket mufflers.

The HKS exhaust system is specifically made to fit your year RAV, and is straight bolt-on. The last time I checked, a few were still being sold on eBay. It is somewhat pricey, but got mines at a heavy discount.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your answers!
So, acording to what you said I should replace the whole exhaust system. Excuse me for my low level of knowledge, but what does it include except muffler? :roll: I know that it starts from header, but what comes next?

·
Registered
302 Posts
header(aftermarket)=====>flex pipe(if aftermarket header is installed=====>high flow cat=====>resonator=====>another resonator(if exhaust is too loud)=====>muffler=====>exhaust tip

recommended pipe size - 2"-2.25"

I myself is looking for a great setup....below is a list what are and where I am planning to get them! I am still on the process of researching so no final decisions yet...

header---$200--i have the alphawerks header for sometime now
flex pipe---$25--tripple mesh stainless steel 2.25"X6", eBay
high flow cat---$54--magnaflow part#53005, eBay
resonator---$?--local muffler shop
muffler---$66--magnaflowpart#12615 round, eBay
tip---app$30--probably eBay too!

Labor will be like.....$60-$100 maybe...

You can ask Derek, Mohit or Mensajero for any other questions, they have the following setups....just click the links below

Derek----->http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=exhaust

Mohit----->http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2047&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=exhaust

Mensajero---->http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=998&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=exhaust http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2943&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=exhaust

Hope other RAVERS would post and take pics on their custom exhaust setups!!!

Oh before i forget I would like to thank for the people who take their time answering questions and posting pics for all of us to learn......like people mentioned above!
:p

GOOD LUCK!!! :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just finished a custom exhaust on our project rav4. We had a Volkswagen Golf R32 dual exhaust system lying around so we had it installed on the 4.1. Sounds great, and its got a valve that shuts at idle to keep it nice and quiet. Its too bad the exhaust itself is @$500 at the dealer or I'd reccomend it for everyone. Ill post pics next time i have the beast in my possession and i can take some pics of it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yes, I was going to say that you could buy a new Rav with the proceeds from an R32 exhaust. What a cracking motor!

·
Registered
33 Posts
ya, the pic you have there is of a aftermarket exhaust. The stock exhaust has a vacuum operated valve built into it to quiet it down at idle/part throttle. In my album theres a camera phone pic of the exhaust installed.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I realised from studiing my city's car market is that they don't have anything for Rav4. The only way is to order parts online.
But I'm not going to buy all system at once. Should I start from header or muffler to get better results?
Also, could you please tell me which exhaust parts on e-bay are price/quality optimal?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Exaust & Stuff

Ckeck out my album [open it below] there are 5 pictures of a catback system as well as pictures of my header etc. there are still systems available just go to WWW.DOGPILE.COM web search and type in "95-97 Toyota RAV4 catback exaust system" or combinations of that untill somthing comes up. You should be able to find something for around $200 it will likely take a couple of hrs, but you should find one. Bosal may still have a rav4 3 door system which you could lengthen.

vicco27

keep rollin :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would reccomend finiding a local shop that does custom exhaust work and then pic a mufler that you like and have them install it. If i recall correctly, on the old forums, there was a girl with a custom dual exhaust using 2 twin tip mufflers and custom piping. I cheated by snagging a used R32 dual exhaust system from my work (VW dealer). I would steer clear of canister style mufflers due to their tendency to be louder than necessary. But check out places like autozone, pepboys, advance autoparts, as well as Ebay for mufflers that float your boat.

Vicco27, with your pacesetter header, you removed the front catylitic converter correct? I noticed on our rav4, that theres a cat built onto the manifold and I was thinking that I may need to add a second cat when we add the turbo kit. Have you had any problems since removing the cat?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Boostology RAV4.1

I understand some Rav4s have 2 catalytic converters, one up by the factory header and one down under. Mine, however, had what I call an intermediate pipe with the O2 sensor bung in it. So, no, I didn't remove a catalytic converter from below the factory header. The sound on mine is kind of a nice burble, noticeably louder under acceleration until you get to a cruise speed, then it seems to kind of go away and blend with the road noise that RAV4s are famous for. I found, after installing my Quantum-tech wheels, the road noise increased. Since you can install a performance cat, like my son has done on his Neon, and it didn't cause any ill affects, I wouldn't think the removal of the upper cat--if legal where you are-- would hurt anything. Worst scenario, you might have to go to a performance cat underneath to release exhaust back pressure. I have a 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z and I've been told putting a high performance cat and catback exhaust on it would help the performance a great deal, but a turbo creates air pressure to the intake and I actually can't see how a bigger exhaust than the one the car came with would be that big a deal in this instance. Besides that, it only has 50,000 actual miles and I want to keep it stock. Anyway, 'nuff said. Good luck with your project. If you need more info, you know where I'm at.

vicco27

Keep Rollin'

·
Registered
33 Posts
well we're turbo charging the rav4 too. I also own a 240sx with a sr20det engine and with the turbo, the bigger the exhaust, the faster the turbo will spool up, thereby reducing boost lag.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Boostology

Well, that makes sense. Does that pertain to all turbo installations or just when you're doing a turbo upgrade? I'm not familiar with the Nissan, was it originally a turbo or is it an upgrade? Like they say, you learn something new every day. If you don't, it was a wasted day.

vicco27

Keep Rollin'

·
Registered
33 Posts
the SR20DET engine is the Japanese engine used on the silvia and 180sx models. Its a twin cam, turbocharged 2.0l engine. One of the best engines from nissan and a popular swap into the US 240sx. So my engine was not stock, but did come turbocharged.

Upgrading the cats and exhaust will make a big difference on both cars that came with a turbo as well as cars that were turbocharged with a kit. With a turbo on a car, theres no such thing as too big of an exhaust. On my 240sx I use 3in (80mm)diameter piping from the back of hte turbo all the way to the 120mm muffler tip. I also dont run a cat on my car but a "test pipe" that fills in the gap where the cat would be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts