Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm looking for more of a rumble to my exhaust tone. I aquired a tip that you screw on from Discount Auto Parts, but I believe that this is just for asthetics and is minimal in sound change.

I've seen, on other vehicles, resonators being deleted to change up the exhaust note. When I looked under my car, I saw a few bulges in the pipes and a large rectangular object that looks either like the resonator or the exhaust canister itself.

Could anyone clarify if I have a resonator? And which object along the pipes it is?

Any Cats?

Thanks. I have an '08 FWD.

-c240

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
You might want to adjust your profile to indicate you have the I4 engine. However in both the I4 and V6 RAV4 there seems to be two resonators in addition to the thing that is obviously a muffler.

There is a resonator in the CENTER EXHAUST PIPE ASSEMBLY forward of the muffler, and an additional resonator in the TAILPIPE ASSEMBLY near the rear opening.

The catalytic converter on the I4 is very close to the engine. The catalytic converters on the V6 are very close to the engine. They are in the engine compartment more than under the floor.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Kinda itching to remove both of the resonators (before and after the muffler). Need to look around more but has anyone posted the result of doing that? I know there was argument as to if those were cats or not but it appears they both are resonators and the cat is what is coming right off of the exhaust port of the engine, inside the engine bay.

I wish there was a header that utilizes a cat converter tied in it, that merges the piping smoother off the exhaust ports, then the stock one. :cry:

Nice looking setup you have SeriousBlack. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the i4, and I thought the first bulge was a cat so I left it on, but I got rid of the second one when I added my magnaflow.

I went with a straight-through muffler.

And here you can see where the stock resonator should be, but since I had all new pipe run all the way back I lost it. I'm thinking of going back and putting a small glasspack where it used to be to act as a resonator to tone it down a bit.

These are crappy cell phone videos, but will give you an idea of how it sounds.

Inside the car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcoaEeEpcSU

Outside the car on the ground about 2 feet from the tip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQhOkNDmSks

·
Registered
1 Posts
JMC_Automatic Wrote
"I have the i4, and I thought the first bulge was a cat so I left it on, but I got rid of the second one when I added my magnaflow.

I went with a straight-through muffler."

DUDE! I hate to say it but that is worse than my lawn mower. Quiet that thing down please. A few resonators and a much larger muffler are in order here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely working on toning it down but I am going for a louder exhaust. Plus the cell phone videos don't do it justice. They make it sound much more "ricey" than it really is. Does anyone know a place to find just resonators? I would assume a small glasspack would accomplish the same thing so I was planning on buying this Cherry bomb glasspack because it's the shortest lengthwise that I could find and I don't have a ton of room to work with.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/IMM-87522/

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
JMC_Automatic said:
Yeah, I'm definitely working on toning it down but I am going for a louder exhaust. Plus the cell phone videos don't do it justice. They make it sound much more "ricey" than it really is. Does anyone know a place to find just resonators? I would assume a small glasspack would accomplish the same thing so I was planning on buying this Cherry bomb glasspack because it's the shortest lengthwise that I could find and I don't have a ton of room to work with.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/IMM-87522/
It's 20 days later. Did you get a resonator on it? Actually, do you like the sound in the video overall? How does the power feel to you vs when you had the stock muffler and piping on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't think the sound in the video is a very good representation of how it sounds. Especially the video outside the car is extremely distorted. It's loud, yes, but I like the tone. The only reason I was planning on quieting it down is that I sometimes have people in the back seat and they've complained that you can't hear anything but the muffler, haha. As for the power, I definitely think it helped. Combined with the cold air intake run down to the bumper I think it feels like it has more power especially in the mid-rpms range (above 3k or so). Especially at WOT it sounds great. I'm sure nothing close to what y'alls V6's sound like but a vast improvement over the completely silent stock intake/exhaust. I'm thinking I'll eventually move to a larger oval-type magnaflow muffler but I'm not rushing it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think the sound in the video is a very good representation of how it sounds. Especially the video outside the car is extremely distorted. It's loud, yes, but I like the tone. The only reason I was planning on quieting it down is that I sometimes have people in the back seat and they've complained that you can't hear anything but the muffler, haha. As for the power, I definitely think it helped. Combined with the cold air intake run down to the bumper I think it feels like it has more power especially in the mid-rpms range (above 3k or so). Especially at WOT it sounds great. I'm sure nothing close to what y'alls V6's sound like but a vast improvement over the completely silent stock intake/exhaust. I'm thinking I'll eventually move to a larger oval-type magnaflow muffler but I'm not rushing it.

I'm interested to know if you have done anything with your l4 since the last time you posted on this thread. Not sure how long it's been bit I have a 2010 l4 and was wondering. I'm thinking about going with Borla bit keeping the rest of the exhaust stock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Y'all looking for mean exhaust sound should get a chuckle from (I think) BMW who has an 'augmented' exhaust sound. They have a set of loud speakers run via the ECU to make the acceleration vibes seem wicked. I kid you not.

Me, being an iconoclast and hacker would make a drive-by hack that would reprogram them to sound like a messed up VW Beetle stumbling down a steep hill with three cylinders firing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
11,013 Posts
I'm interested to know if you have done anything with your l4 since the last time you posted on this thread. Not sure how long it's been bit I have a 2010 l4 and was wondering. I'm thinking about going with Borla bit keeping the rest of the exhaust stock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Friend you are responding to a post that is four years old. Responses to your post are questionable at best.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts