Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
mensajero said:
If you have a turbo installed on your rig, is it important to have an Exhaust Temp Gauge on your exhaust, and why? :?
An EGT gauge, as they call it, is not "needed", but, it definitely doesn't hurt to have one... Alot of people will say it's a must if you turbo a non-turbo car... the EGT gauge is another helpful monitoring tool that will show you signs that detonation may occur (in the sense that if temperature gets too high, you will know the reason for it)....
So for you, I would say yes, but I myself haven't used it when my honda was turbocharged.... my other friends that currently have turbocharged honda/acura cars , they DO have an EGT gauge on their turbo manifold....
You would want it installed on your manifold, most likely in the center of the manifold where all the chambers meet....

Just my .02 cents... good luck..

M

·
0 Posts
Detonation

And if you have a to high exhaust temp, that you can be easy on the pedal :)

I'd say it's a -must-, since it will save yourself from major, expensive, engine failures.

M

·
0 Posts
Ok, here is the "real" reason why .

When have a turboed car, the air feul ratio is not stochiometric. You run the cars a little rich to compensate for the higher compression ratio. Even if your AF guage says you are running nicely rich, the actual combustion process can be running a little lean. Lean results in hotter operating temperatures and you can measure this on the exhaust end. This results in fried pistons, rings...... ----> seazed engines, and $$$$ up the ying yang.

You want to know your exahust temperature because most kids turboing cars dont know enough about how engines run and how fsucking important the AF ratio is and how it is highly tuned to your specific car. The exhaust temp gives you something to notice that requires less (let me think) process. If your too hot, easy up off that throttle and get your car tuned a little more.

Basically, its just another tool at identifying how your engine is running.... The reason it is used on newly turboed NA cars is because the ECU/engine compartment and accessories are not designed to run at hotter temperatures and different AF ratios. It is so you can monitor and guage how much you are effecting your car. On a Stock Turbo car, the engineers worried about that for you and designed the car to handle the turbo. Since most people who have turbo's are not mechanical engineers, they need to follow up continiously on their engine's performance to keep it in check.

However

Important -- > AF Guage, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Boost Guage, Feul Pressure Guage (in engine compartment)

Med --> Exhaust Temp, Coolant temp (IMPT if you have a W->A intercooler)

Low importance --> Voltage (impt if you have a trunk full of subs)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts