Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Exhaust Tip 2004 RAV4

7K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Stafford Meadow 
#1 ·
Does anybody know a chrome exhaust tip that doesnt require you to drilling or cut your existing one. I want to install one and the from from Toyota requires you to cut 2 1/2 inches of existing tailpipe to fit.
I just want an exhaust tip where I can just screw onto my existing one.
Any suggestions is appreciated.

#3 ·
If you mean the Pilot PM 551, that's what most of us bought initially.

it looks great and is easy to install, but the inside rusts out very quickly.
I still have mine after almost 4 years though and the outside is just as shiny.

I just prefer people to look at it from the side and not behind :roll:

G
#4 ·
i think most of them will rust from inside... because of the material used to make aftermarket ones.. i got mine from ebay and it started rusted from inside... but the carbon from the exaust is black you can't really tell if you do not look closely.

#5 ·
mine's nasty....

the inside rusted out so much that it's flaking out and the cotton is coming out too! it's gross looking! time for a new one. Should i get the same piece of junk again?....or spend $50 for a the OEM one and cut my exhaust tip?

G
#6 ·
Exhaust Tip

I ordered 2 of the Valor Toyota tips and both required 2" to be cut off the exhaust tip - no thanks. Both were nice quality tips, but were returned due to difficult installations - although both Toyota web sites said no cutting - not so!

The Pilot PM-551 and PM-552 will both fit perfectly. They just screw on with 3 screws. They run about $17-$20, which is cheap.

I did have problems with internal rust within a week, so I would suggest painting the inside of this with a few coats of high temp flat black paint before installing it. After painting the insides, the rust stopped.

#7 ·
I got the tip from toyota couple weeks ago, and spoke with one of the guys that work there and he said that you dont have really cut anything. I just puted the tip on exaust with out cutting it, i think it doesnt look that ba, theres a pic of it on my cardomain web

G
#8 ·
Valor Tips

The Valor tips will install without cutting the tail pipe, but they do tend to stick out about 1-2" more than they were designed to. I've run across two different versions also, one has a long part on the left side, the other just slips on. Most of the photos on the Toyota websites show a straight tail pipe photo, but the one you get is always oval, like in your photos. Just make sure you have the clamp on tight, as mine was always turning around.

Valor do make a high quality part that won't rust inside like the Pilots do. Pilot really need to address the rust issue, and switch to stainless steel inside.

#9 ·
My OEM Valor tip that came already installed is actually rusting, even though I clean it regularly and spray it with WD-40. I was really disappointed when I realized it wasn't holding up as good as I expected. I'll probably see if I can talk them into a warranty replacement, but I doubt that will fly. :(

Becky

G
#10 ·
haha get out your phone book and look for local store, get a stainless steel tip that will only cost about $50 with maybe $40 installed... takes them about 30 mins to weld them and never have to worry about rusting.

G
#11 ·
Chrome Paint

Has anyone tried spraying the stock tip with Chrome Paint? It would have to be high temperature paint. I saw idea that mentioned a while back, wonder if it held up to the hot temperatures, or it just burned off.

G
#15 ·
I doesn't appear like it got scratched, but I didn't have to really rub hard on it either. I'm not really sure what was on it was rust. It may have been just a stain from the exhaust gases and water dripping out because the only area that was tarnished was almost entirely on the bottom rim. Maybe it was a rust stain from the exhaust pipe where it connects to the tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.