Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had dealer installed mud guards. Four mud guards were $70.00 and labor was $44. for a total of $120. including tax.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You could have purchased them yourself from the dealer or Brandsport online but I doubt they would have been any cheaper.
You could have installed them yourself and saved $44 but depending on your abilities and tools $11 each might be a deal. On some of my cars I've had to remove wheels to get enough room to work.
I'd have charged you $50! :lol: :lol:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shar Pei Puppy said:
You could have purchased them yourself from the dealer or Brandsport online but I doubt they would have been any cheaper.
You could have installed them yourself and saved $44 but depending on your abilities and tools $11 each might be a deal. On some of my cars I've had to remove wheels to get enough room to work.
I'd have charged you $50! :lol: :lol:
Thats good to know. I feel better already.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
McSwine said:
I'm still trying to understand how the OEM trailer hitch is $700-800 installed! :shock:
When you can buy a Class II aftermarket hitch (mine installed using only four bolts) for less than $200 shipped to your door...

It's called price gouging, plain and simple... most of it will be dealer profit.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Found a larger version of that photo in the eBrochure. Note that they're still using the previous-generation RAV4 in the photo. I really don't expect them to be much different, though...

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
McSwine said:
I'm still trying to understand how the OEM trailer hitch is $700-800 installed! :shock:
I wonder what ALL is included with this package :? Larger alternator?, transmission cooler?, trailer wiring?, etc.?

I have heard that the 2006 RAV4 OEM hitch has 48 bolts :shock: Anybody seen installation instructions on this item?

EDIT: I ran across the info (partially) explaining the extreme cost of OEM tow hitch ---> The towing package includes a transmission cooler, a larger radiator, an upgraded fan coupling, an upgraded to 150A alternator, and trailer prewiring.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
karrock said:
Found a larger version of that photo in the eBrochure. Note that they're still using the previous-generation RAV4 in the photo. I really don't expect them to be much different, though...

They are not different at all. That is exactly how mine look on my Black Sport.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
McSwine said:
I wonder what ALL is included with this package :? Larger alternator?, transmission cooler?, trailer wiring?, etc.?

I have heard that the 2006 RAV4 OEM hitch has 48 bolts :shock: Anybody seen installation instructions on this item?

EDIT: I ran across the info (partially) explaining the extreme cost of OEM tow hitch ---> The towing package includes a transmission cooler, a larger radiator, an upgraded fan coupling, an upgraded to 150A alternator, and trailer prewiring.
OK... So the $160 factory option (V6 only) "Tow Prep Package" includes Includes 150-Amp Alternator, Larger Radiator, Fan Coupling & Transmission Cooling... (according to Toyota's website with extra details from KBB) entitles you to the $750 MSRP vice the $850... And all you get is the wiring and the receiver... woooo... :?

·
Registered
1 Posts
karrock said:
Kelly Smith said:
McSwine said:

OK... So the $160 factory option (V6 only) "Tow Prep Package" includes Includes 150-Amp Alternator, Larger Radiator, Fan Coupling & Transmission Cooling... (according to Toyota's website with extra details from KBB) entitles you to the $750 MSRP vice the $850... And all you get is the wiring and the receiver... woooo... :?
I am currently in the process of installing the wiring harness for the trailer lights. So far I have invested $140 for the wiring kit, $22 for special tools and six hours of my time and I still havn't buttoned the interior back up. BTW the towing package does not include wiring, other than a change in the wiring block under the dash. You would think that buying the towing package would NOT require you to tear up the entire lift side of the interior to complete the instalation.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The Towing package sure feels like a rip off considering it has almost everything but the hitch, however you still get to pay almost full MSRP for the hitch :(

kendfw said:
You could have them installed it for $50 when you purchased the vehicle.
You could have them installed for free. I made it a requirement if they wanted to close the deal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought the OEM mudguards a few months back for around $60.00 at the dealer. I did the installation myself and it took about 15 minutes and was really trivial. Just needed a short screw driver to get behind the screws in the wheel wells.

·
Registered
22 Posts
About a year ago I bought them off ebay from Toyota dealership for $45 + shipping. I installed them in about an hour in my fathers garage.

Travis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts