Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, glad to see there's a website for others who love ravs. I recently purchased a 97 as my first car. I'm 6'4'', which is pretty tall for a guy, and I want to see if I can make a little more leg room for me. I was thinking maybe creating a longer seat track by welding an additional piece in the back. I also know there's a website specifically to add leg room, but of course, they don't make it for the 1st gen... Any ideas? :D

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,087 Posts
I had a small car when stationed in Japan and I just unbolted the seat, drilled new bolt holes, used new nuts with large fender washers from under the car and rebolted the seat down. Have to look how the RAV4 seat is bolted in and the shape of the floorboard.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
I had a small car when stationed in Japan and I just unbolted the seat, drilled new bolt holes, used new nuts with large fender washers from under the car and rebolted the seat down. Have to look how the RAV4 seat is bolted in and the shape of the floorboard.
Be sure to seal up the original holes to prevent water (and fumes) from getting in!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great idea eodgator, but how would I plug up the holes? Also, what did you use to drill the holes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,087 Posts
That's great idea eodgator, but how would I plug up the holes? Also, what did you use to drill the holes?
Hey Muppetseb,

Parts needed:
1) 4 each appropriately sized grade 8 nuts
2) 4 each appropriately sized large and thick fender washers
3) 1 each cross member similar to the one the front of the seat is bolted into - this was added after it was pointed out that the seat is bolted to a cross member only at the front. The rear of the seat is just bolted into a reinforced area of the floor. The cross member would have to be secured to keep the front of the seat rails at the appropriate height as well. The cross member may have to be welded in.

Tools needed:
1) Hammer
2) Punch
3) Drill
4) Appropriately sized drill bit
5) Appropriately sized wrench
6) Appropriately sized socket
7) Ratchet

Procedures:
1) Look under the RAV4 and make sure you're not going to drill into anything like brake lines, gas lines, wire bundles, exhaust system, etc. Caution: Under the driver's seat in a RAV4 are brake and gas lines
2) Unbolt the seat and pull the carpet back so it cannot get in the way and muck up the drill bit
3) Put the seat where you want it and mark the spots to drill.
4) Use a punch to indent the drill locations so that the drill bit doesn't walk
5) Drill the holes
6) Place the seat into place and check the position, remove seat once confirmed
7) Seal the old bolt holes with a copious amount of marine silicon caulk
8) Replace the carpet and cut holes for the new bolt locations
9) Replace seat and bolt it in...

Happy camper time, you can drive the car without your knees on the steering wheel!

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Just an afterthought, plug up the holes with some seat bolts from a junk yard.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That description was way too simplified. The seat doesn't bolt to the floor. It bolts to a raised crossmember at the front. With some good engineering you should be able to move the seat back further.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
It doesn't appear safe to simply drill new holes into the RAV's floor since the existing holes are clearly reinforced for safety and structural reasons. It would seem that one could weld or bolt new mounting brackets , maybe cut from seating rails obtained from an auto salvage yard, onto the bottom of existing seat mount rails, at the needed points to move the seat back, and use the existing floor mounting holes. That would raise the seat height marginally, which would be beneficial unless the driver is quite tall.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
If you look at my first post it said that you have to look at how the seat is bolted in. My RAV4 isn't with me at the moment so I cannot go out and look. If there is a frame member that the seat is bolted to then you must provide a similar strong point. It would be the same if you upgraded your seats and installed seat rails that didn't exactly match the RAV4s bolt in points.

I edited my instructions to address the cross member at the front of the seat. I wouldn't want someone to try moving the seat without addressing this issue.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would like to have better seats in my Rav4, but these seats have a weird mounting and I don't what else might fit.

But it is nice how far they slide to the front.:smile

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Corbeau Baja XRS

I would like to have better seats in my Rav4, but these seats have a weird mounting and I don't what else might fit.

But it is nice how far they slide to the front.:smile
This link is for a Corbeau Baja XRS Seat (which is on my short list of upgrades) and specialized seat brackets.

Seat: Corbeau Baja XRS Suspension Seat|Pair Ships Free!

Custom Bracket (just choose the RAV4): http://www.racing-seats-usa.com/corbeau-custom-seat-brackets-vehicle-specific-bolt-in.html

It is a suspension seat and has lumbar support and seat heater options.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts