Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our RAV4 faces a difficult life. It will not be garaged (at least until I sell my most prized possession, my '99 Pontiac Grand Prix, now just a plaything and emergency 2nd car since I walk to work) ... we live in a small town, have two school-aged kids, and there will be many short trips. Temperatures during the year here in NJ range from well below freezing in the dead of winter (the car will be outside) to upper 90s in summer. The car will see minimal highway use and will never be driven off road. It's not particularly dusty here. Anyway, my question...

Once broken in, I plan to run full synthetic. On my wife's last car we did oil and filter changes every six months regardless of mileage (also Mobil 1 full synth).

I will probably use Mobil 1 or Amsoil but am thinking now about changing the FILTER ONLY at six months and the filter AND oil every year.

It seems kind of silly to be futzing around like this to save a few $ on maintenance of a $25k vehicle, but I want what is most economical, efficient and best long term for the car.

Thoughts?

TIA,

-kj-

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Changing the Oil Filter without changing the oil

You can change the oil filter on the RAV4 without draining the oil.

It's super easy to do, and not one drop will spill out of the RAV4.

Just let the engine cool down and carefully unscrew the old filter. Fill up the new filter up with some new oil to make up for the oil lost in the old filter, and to prime the new filter so you don't start up with a dry filter.

This way, you can run longer oil changes using extended synthetic oil, but keep the oil cleaner with regular filter changes. I use Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance oil. I have used Mobil 1 brand of synthetic oil for over 20 years.

The K&N oil filters (HP-1003) are a good buy for $9 from http://www.ajusa.com/. Buy a 1" deep socket, it makes taking them off easier, because the K&N oil filters have a built in 1" nut welded to the top.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I suppose your plan will work although I am unsure how you deterimined the change intervals. Using synthetic fluids add some longevity.

However, the breakdown and dirtiness of oil tends to be more a function of miles driven and less to do with the Gregorian calendar. What's wrong with using the basic plan of changing oil and filter at every 3-5k miles?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I think that will be my plan. Now I need to watch for an oil sale at Wally-World.

The problem with waiting for a mileage interval is that we only drive 3-5k per YEAR, and much/most of that is short trips, very hard on the car. So waiting that long would be bad IMHO. A 1-year interval with intermediate filter changes seems like a logical alternative.

I will be happy to only have to change a filter in the depths of winter ... since my 1-car garage isn't available for the work. I'm going to have to see where the little bugger is.

I got a NAPA Gold 1396 for $6.50 at my local NAPA. It's a Wix filter and looks to be extremely well made. Not sure about the filtration rate, but I believe it to be among the best. I am familiar with K&N's filters also (are they still made by Champion?) The nut on the end is a nice touch but I've never had a problem using a traditonal filter wrench. Again, I need to see where the actual filter is.

-kj-

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do the math

Lets do the math...

The cost savings cutting of out one oil change a year is like $50 a year on for a $25K RAV4. So you'll have save $250 in five years, or 1% of the car's initial value!

It just does not make sense to penny pinch it just to save 1% of the car's value, when you could be risking serious wear and tear on your engine by extending the oil changes way beyond what is recommended.

I'm using the best synthetic oil and filter I can buy, and changing it every 3750 miles or 4 months. I don't want to take any risks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good idea

I like your idea, kjarrett.
With such low miles in a year, 3-5k, a filter change every six months and syn oil change every twelve months makes sense.

It is more than money involved, it is convenience.
You'll love how easy it is to access the filter.

Also, your method puts less oil into the waste stream.

Only thing you need to be concerned about is voiding the warranty, or giving the dealer grounds to reject any problem.

RAV on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
VeroLAN said:
Why change the filter more often then the oil? I would think change the oil every 6 months and the filter yearly... I would think the oil would go before the filter got clogged.
The idea is that the filter has already trapped a bunch of crud, so get a fresh one in there before the filter becomes so clogged that it is no longer filtering, but rather it is allowing dirty oil to circulate.

The new filter then goes on, and begins to filter the existing oil. This approach is common with full synth applications.

IMHO; given the reasonable costs of excellent filters and dino oils (vs. more expensive synths) - IMHO - it is penny wise and pound foolish to not keep up with frequent changes.

All my other cars are at a "3K/3mo whichever occurs first" OCI. Even "dollar store" oil and FRAM filters can do their jobs at such an interval.
With the RAV, I'll go with the Toyota 5K intervals - but use a top shelf filter and synth blend.
JMHO.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Easy

Changing the oil filter on a RAV4 is a simple 5 minute do it yourself operation - with no mess. Remember you can do it without draining the oil. Try that on most other vehicles...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts