Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My wife just bought a 2016 Rav4 FWD from a dealer in Virginia (Culpepper). They tried to sell us the extended warranty and it was too much. Since we have the 3yr/36000 manufacture warranty I thought I'd check if I can find a much cheaper warranty by looking around. (BTW looking at Toyota.com website it appears we have the 5yr/60,000 powertrain warranty on new cars, can anyone confirm that?)

So when I did a search for extended warranty for a Rav4 I was brought to this site and promptly register. It appears some fellow in KS by the name of Jerry can no longer offer the Toyota Warranty unless you walk in his shop and buy this. Obviously I am in VA and cannot do that.

So are there dealers in Virginia that offer Toyota extended warranties? Maybe someone has found a gem in VA but I kinda of doubt it as it seem no one is like this character Jerry :smile

We have a 2006 Honda Accord that has 248k miles and decided to get this Rav4 for my wife as I hate a broken down car for my wife and especially because we been going on vacations with this Accord and will start using the Rav.

So anyone know a dealer where you can walk in a get an extended warranty (hopefully from Toyota). If not what companies provide reliable support with extended warranty purchases and are trustworthy?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the Rav4 family ! I think it is too early to buy the extended warranty, you can buy it anytime before the standard 3/36 runs out. I would wait to see how the car runs over the next 1-2 yrs to see if it is a lemon.

As for buying a toyota extended warranty versus a third party warranty, it has been my experience that a toyota extended warranty is/should be a extension of the original warranty. Meaning it covers the electronics in the ATP, etc. I know that some 3rd party warranty extensions will not cover all that the original Toyota warranty covered, like anything with radar based systems, think BSM, RCC, RCTA, etc.

There is a person in Massachusetts that sells Toyota extended warranties for what I think are the best prices. He can sell to people in the New England/ Northeast area via phone and can sell to people outside that area but you have to drive to his office. I believe his price earlier this year for a Toyota PlatinumCare with $0 deductible 8yr / 125k miles was about $1365. I've heard some Toyota dealers want well over $2000 for that.

I haven't found a dealer in the Delmarva area that is like this person. If there is one I'd like to know too.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Toyota has banned the sale of extended VSAs across state lines to a state apart from any in which the dealership operates. If a buyer is in another state basically they have to present themselves and presumably their vehicle in person at the seller's dealership. This is one lead from a JuneBug post:

"Call Toby or send him an email. He's a really nice guy:

His email is [email protected]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Toby Rivers[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Lexus of Shreveport[/FONT]
800-335-3987
800-335-3987Â FREE TOLL FREE"

And another (apparently he works for a multi-state dealership in New England and Middle Atlantic states - from a 2007 post):

"Mail to:
Toyota of Greenfield
12 Olive Street
Greenfield, MA 01301

Attn: Troy Dietrich

Phone - (413) 772-0231
(413) 772-0231 (Dealership)
Phone - (413) 772-0989
(413) 772-0989 (My direct line).
Fax - (413) 774-2247 "

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
Uh, Blogson, Troy and Toby are not the same person.....

·
Registered
2010 Rav4 Base, 2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
16 Posts
Hello All,

My wife just bought a 2016 Rav4 FWD from a dealer in Virginia (Culpepper). They tried to sell us the extended warranty and it was too much. Since we have the 3yr/36000 manufacture warranty I thought I'd check if I can find a much cheaper warranty by looking around. (BTW looking at Toyota.com website it appears we have the 5yr/60,000 powertrain warranty on new cars, can anyone confirm that?)

So when I did a search for extended warranty for a Rav4 I was brought to this site and promptly register. It appears some fellow in KS by the name of Jerry can no longer offer the Toyota Warranty unless you walk in his shop and buy this. Obviously I am in VA and cannot do that.

So are there dealers in Virginia that offer Toyota extended warranties? Maybe someone has found a gem in VA but I kinda of doubt it as it seem no one is like this character Jerry :smile

We have a 2006 Honda Accord that has 248k miles and decided to get this Rav4 for my wife as I hate a broken down car for my wife and especially because we been going on vacations with this Accord and will start using the Rav.

So anyone know a dealer where you can walk in a get an extended warranty (hopefully from Toyota). If not what companies provide reliable support with extended warranty purchases and are trustworthy?

Thanks in advance.
I live in Virginia, and I bought a Toyota warranty from Jerry last month. So you may want to give him a call.

·
Registered
241 Posts
After dedicating an afternoon (or more) to test driving, negotiating, and completing a pile of paperwork for your shiny new car, don't be surprised if a bubble-bursting finance manager at the dealer gives a compelling pitch for an extended warranty. It is for your peace of mind, right? Well, not really.
The last-ditch effort to sell you a warranty, or various other unnecessary services, is the dealership's final assault on your checkbook before you tuck it securely away and drive off. Sure, the pitch is convincing: Should an expensive repair be necessary after the factory warranty ends, you'd be protected. No one wants a big, financial surprise, nor wishes to be stranded roadside. (Read "Watch for These Dealer Sales Pitches.")
But breathe deep and think this through. A survey conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center in late 2013 found that 55 percent of owners who purchased an extended warranty hadn’t used it for repairs during the lifetime of the policy. And, on average, those who did use it spent hundreds more for the coverage than they saved in repair costs.
Among survey participants who used their policy, the median out-of-pocket savings on repairs covered by extended warranties for all brands was $837. Based on a $1,214 average initial cost, that works out to a net loss of more than $375. Factoring those who didn’t use their policy, the median savings was zero. And that may have something to do with why satisfaction with auto*mobile extended warranties is among the lower rated of all products and services surveyed by Consumer Reports, and why only about a quarter of respondents said they would definitely get it again. - Copied.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Uh, Blogson, Troy and Toby are not the same person.....

I know that - is obvious because of two different names and locations. Was giving the OP a choice between two contacts who have offered discount VSA and seemingly are doing so. In Virginia they could decide which could still sell at a discount, and if both they could decide which they would wish to drive to if that is required.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts