Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The extended warranty update thread has a lot of posts but seems to drop after the first page. Odd.

Contact recommendations for purchasing a Toyota extended warranty for a 12 Rav4 ?

I had read that in 2013 Toyota put an end to out of state dealers selling warranties by internet or phone. However there are still several quoting them.

Any idea what the story is?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Toyota is giving Jerry a hard time but other dealers such as Troy are still allowed to sell over the phone. I just hope you are not past your 36 months or miles limit.

Just contact Troy at

Factory Discount Warranty
or
[email protected]
Mail to:
Toyota of Greenfield
12 Olive Street
Greenfield, MA 01301

Attn: Troy Dietrich

Phone - (413) 772-0231 (Dealership)
Phone - (413) 772-0989 (direct line).
Fax - (413) 774-2247

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Call Toby, he will take care of you. You don't have to "purchase-in-person", you don't have to drive to Louisiana, and you won't pay any sales tax. Toyota's higher ups ruled that these warranties can't be sold on a web site. Toby doesn't use a web site, he uses a phone. Call him:

Toby Rivers
Lexus of Shreveport
1-800-335-3987
[email protected]

Toyota Extra Care, Platinum coverage with $0 deductible:
6 yr / 75K - $610.00
6 yr / 100K - $835.00
7 yr / 75K - $680.00
7 yr / 100K - $950.00
8 yr / 75K - $785.00
8 yr / 100K - $1050.00
8 yr / 125K - $1365.00

·
Registered
300 Posts
Purchased the Platinum 8yr / 125k / 0 ded from Toby for both the wife's RAV4 and my Tundra. Great prices and he was a pleasure to deal with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does this mean that Jerry @ Midwest is no longer selling extended warranties, or can he still do it via phone? An additional question: What happens if these guys stop selling due to pressure from Toyota (as mentioned in one post), or if for some other reason one of the other guys, like Toby or Troy, who sell these extended warranties (also mentioned in other posts), goes out of business? Does that put the extended warranties purchased by Rav4 owners in jeopardy?

·
Registered
300 Posts
.............What happens if these guys stop selling due to pressure from Toyota (as mentioned in one post), or if for some other reason one of the other guys, like Toby or Troy, who sell these extended warranties (also mentioned in other posts), goes out of business? Does that put the extended warranties purchased by Rav4 owners in jeopardy?

These are not third party warranties. They are honored at all Toyota dealerships direct from Toyota.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Yes, these are Toyota VSA's (Vehicle Service Agreement) honored by any Toyota dealer in the US and Canada. Mine almost paid for itself when my water pump went out and I was past the 5 year powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I recently bought a 2013 Rav4, and my 3 year warranty will be up in April. I just called Toby this morning, and he told me that he can't do these warranties over the phone anymore, Toyota won't let him do it. Any other ideas on where to get a good-priced one? The dealership wanted to charge me $2800, and I would much prefer something in the $800-$1000 range that Toby was previously offering. I am in Washington state, if that matters.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Hi - I recently bought a 2013 Rav4, and my 3 year warranty will be up in April. I just called Toby this morning, and he told me that he can't do these warranties over the phone anymore, Toyota won't let him do it. Any other ideas on where to get a good-priced one? The dealership wanted to charge me $2800, and I would much prefer something in the $800-$1000 range that Toby was previously offering. I am in Washington state, if that matters.

Any help is appreciated!

Toyota in its infinite commitment to customer service apparently has shut down online and other non-in person VSA ("extended warranty") sales, but maybe try this:

Originally Posted by samjg1
Do you have Troy Dietrich`s email address?
Thanks

tdietrich *at* fd-warranty.com

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've had bad experiences with extended warranties and the "fine print". I budget $100/month for repairs in a separate account for repairs. So far there is $3,700 in the account with no withdrawals so far. If nothing goes wrong I can spend the money on something else. I suppose it all depends on whether you are "feeling lucky".:smile

·
Registered
139 Posts
My Rav is an 09 and my wife has an 11 Camry, both from the same dealer. I got a notice saying her Camry was overdue for maintenance. I took it in and 20 minutes later, they said they found a problem! This car, although an 11, only has 16,000 miles on it. They said the water pump needed to be replaced because it had a leak. Funny, I had NO indication of any leak. The service guy said it was covered under warranty, so, there would be no charge, but they needed it for a full day. I scheduled yet another appointment and brought it in. Eight hours later, they still hadn't called, so I did. The guy said the mechanic was just finishing up because they found a SECOND problem!! They replaced the oil pan gasket because it too was leaking. Again, I saw no evidence of this one either. BTW, when I dropped the car off, I had to park in front of the showroom because of the construction going on as they DOUBLED their service section. Now, is Toyota reliability that bad that a car with 16,000 miles on it needed both of these items or is the service department somehow making out like a bandit? Can I trust a dealer that finds problems that I have no indication of? Granted, a customer is not going to argue about repairs that cost them nothing, but what the heck is going on there?
In a different situation, my Rav's CD player wouldn't take in a CD. I called and asked if it was covered under my extended warranty and they said yes. I took it in and they replaced it. Good thing it was under warranty because the crappy stock radio was $1400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to do my presets for stations because it was new. Two weeks later, at 6PM, they call me and want me to bring the Rav back because they "put in the wrong radio". I argued back and forth that it was fine and I didn't want to have to drive there for no good reason. The service guy insisted that I bring it back, so, I relented. I wasn't there more than 5 minutes and was told I was all set. REALLY? When I got in, all of my presets were as I set them. They did NOT put a new radio in, so, what exactly did they do and WHY?

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
I would be suspicious that the dealer may be billing Toyota under the extended VSA ("warranty") for services which the dealer isn't actually performing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts