Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

We just bought two new Toyota's Christmas Eve in Los Angeles (Thanks Santa). We bought a 2016 new Rav4 Hybrid Limited and a 2017 Tacoma TRD. I googled extended warranties and this forum came up. Was I ever so thankful!

Dealer we bought these from asked for $4,000+ each to add 7 year 100K platinum warranty and 5 year 75K service plan. Just over $8,400 for both vehicles for both options. I read the posts about Jerry from Midwest Toyota in Kansas and to contact him for a quote. I contacted him and he called back right away. He is awesome. I received the exact same thing for 50% off, it was $2215 for Tacoma for both plans and $2220 for the Rav4. So we basically got 2 for 1 over what dealer in CA charged. This was for Toyota Premium $0 deductible warranty and Toyota Care Service Plan. Jerry is at a Toyota dealership and is authorized to sell this. They track it by VIN. I will get our new warranty info in 3-4 weeks and he immediately sent us our order number and info in case we needed it. (We wont need either until year 3 of course).

I asked why there was such a huge price difference- he said each dealer is able to set their own price. Most do this 100% over cost. He does it for just over cost-- he makes a little and he counts on volume and internet referrals. He sells these a lot due to word of mouth. So, passing it on!

So, thank you, glad to join this forum and wanted to share our experience. Had I not googled I would have spent over $4,000 more than I needed to!

His info is
Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Hutchinson, KS 67502
His cell is 620-664-8844
[email protected] - all one email.

Thanks--- The Johnson's in LA (not related to him in any way!).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. I called Jerry and told him I lived in Los Angeles. Any Toyota dealer can sell warranty is my understanding. It is all by VIN. He said he sells warranties all over the country just by word of mouth. I will update in few weeks when we get the actual warranty but this couldn't have been easier. I gave my dealer a chance to match his price and they said their price was fixed so they couldn't come close.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand. We like having one and have used it before on other cars. The service plan is actually less than the true cost for the various service cost for years 3-5. $900 for it all. Peace of mind and we keep our cars for years. Not for everyone. We like Toyota service at our dealer. So post is for those who have desire to get one. I wouldn't have paid the dealer price quoted. We did the math and calculated our piece of mind and made our decision. Happy with service and price.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Its still a bad bet, at any price.
I got the 8 year/75,000 mile Toyota VSA extended warranty from Jerry for $659 just before my factory warranty was about to expire. It more than paid for itself when my water pump and steering shaft were replaced. My dealer wanted over double what I paid for the warranty when I bought the RAV4 new. A lot of people on here were like you and said it was a waste of money...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was offered both at $2000 total for my '17 Limited at a Bay Area dealer... but declined :D They didn't even try to push it very hard; admitted that almost nothing happens to these cars that a regular shop can't fix at much cheaper than the cost of an extended warranty...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was offered both at $2000 total for my '17 Limited at a Bay Area dealer... but declined :D They didn't even try to push it very hard; admitted that almost nothing happens to these cars that a regular shop can't fix at much cheaper than the cost of an extended warranty...
I don't think the business guy at our dealer ever got to the price. He laid it out nicely and I declined before he told me how much. He didn't push it either. We traded in two 12 year old Toyotas this year and the combined repair cost (excluding legitimate maintenance) for both for 190,000 combined miles was well under $1000. In our experience, extended warranties don't make sense for a Toyota.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good information for those interested. Bought this for my daughter when she bought her first new Toyota. She had moved to a new area and it provides her good peace of mind. She has only used the roadside assistance so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll be buying a 2017 Rav4 Hybrid in the next day or two. I've tried to find what a fair price for a vehicle service agreement (something like 8yr/100,000 miles), but either mentioning prices on the forums is forbidden or people are shy. I've seen people say you shouldn't pay more than about $800 all the way to quotes of $3200 by dealers. So, what are some real numbers that people are actually getting? By the way, I'm in Dallas if that matters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts