Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I ended up buying a 2020 XLE Hybrid, and happy with it so far! Now I'm being upsold pretty hard on warranty & service extension for 4 extra years. As it stands I have 2 y/25 mi service included (every 6 months), 3 y bumper-to-bumper & 5 y power train warranty.

Here's the deal: $3800 (pre tax) for 4 more years of service, and 4 more years of bumper-to-bumper warranty.

How much do you pay or expect to pay for service and/or repairs per year? I'm likely to keep the car for longer than the term of the extended warranty so transfers aren't really an issue. The sales dude keeps telling me hybrids are expensive to maintain, and can have really expensive computer repairs. Having never owned a hybrid, I defer to your wisdom.

Many thanks for your wisdom.
-b

·
Registered
Prime XSE Premium, Venza Limited
536 Posts
Do an advanced search out here for extended warranties, the price you were quoted is insane. You can get longer for much less.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The sales dude keeps telling me hybrids are expensive to maintain, and can have really expensive computer repairs.
The sales dude is a liar, plain and simple. The hybrid system components are warranted for 8 years, 100,000 miles, the battery for 10 years, 150,000 miles. Toyota is happy to do that because they know that the hybrid system rarely breaks down in those years.

My "other car" is an 11 Y.O. Prius with 100,000 miles. I have had zero problems other than some first year of production rattles that took some effort to track down. As far as electronics, all electronics (laptops, phones, vehicle electronics, etc.) tend to fail early or very late, not in years 2-7.

IMO, extended warranties buy you peace of mind and a big profit for the dealer, rarely return the cost to the buyer. I respect those who buy an extended warranty knowing that they are doing it for comfort but I wouldn't do it.

As far as service, look at the schedule. Pretty much oil and filter, tire rotation and multipoint inspection.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid
58 Posts
$3800!?!?! That’s insane! I agree with others, shop around if you need peace of mind, but I’ve never had problems with my Toyota Hybrid, so I think you’ll be better off without it if it’s for such a short time...

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
180 Posts
Consult your maintenance log that came with the RAV4. It will tell you what Toyota says is recommended, not dealers who are out to make money. that seems like way too much money on a vehicle that is hardly maintenance-intensive. Most of that maintenance would be oil changes and tire rotations. All of your major hybrid components are warrantied for 8 years/100k miles I believe.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,278 Posts
You also have up to three years or 36000 miles to make your decision for a Toyota Service Agreement. If my vehicle is still flawless around this time, I will forgo the extended. If there are a warranty repair or two, I will get the extended. So far, none of my past Toyotas would have used the extended warranty.

If you do opt for the warranty, make sure its a "Toyota Vehicle Service Agreement."

Also, realize that you have a 5 year/60000 mile powertrain warranty + a 10 year/150000 mile hybrid battery warranty so to me, the only Toyota warranty that makes sense if I were to get one is the Platinum, 10/125000 mile extended as I keep a car long term.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi all,

I ended up buying a 2020 XLE Hybrid, and happy with it so far! Now I'm being upsold pretty hard on warranty & service extension for 4 extra years. As it stands I have 2 y/25 mi service included (every 6 months), 3 y bumper-to-bumper & 5 y power train warranty.

Here's the deal: $3800 (pre tax) for 4 more years of service, and 4 more years of bumper-to-bumper warranty.

How much do you pay or expect to pay for service and/or repairs per year? I'm likely to keep the car for longer than the term of the extended warranty so transfers aren't really an issue. The sales dude keeps telling me hybrids are expensive to maintain, and can have really expensive computer repairs. Having never owned a hybrid, I defer to your wisdom.

-b
Hi all,

-b
Make a few phone calls to other area dealerships and ask them for their lowest price on a “Toyota” warranty, NOT A THIRD PARTY WARRANTY. They will tell you that theirs is better than the Toyota warranty, ya better for them to sell and make a profit.

You should be able to a 10yr/100,00mile/Zero Deductible for at most $1,600. That’s on the high end.

On my first call I would tell them I was told $1,600 from (pick an area dealers name) Joes Toyota and that seems too high, Can you give me a better price?

Make sure you are letting them know you want a Toyota warranty and NOT a third party.

If they give you a lower price, call another dealer and give them that number. You’ll spend an hour or so on the phone or emails but you will save a lot of money.

Lastly, you have 3 YEARS FROM THE TIME YOU PURCHASE THE VEHICLE TO BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,506 Posts
Look here hard enough and you'll find the names of salespeople who sell Toyota warranties and who will mail you a quote on all of the various time and miles choices. Search is your friend.

And put off buying until late in the full warranty period you got with the new car. You could see the car totaled before the end of the existing warranty or sell it and then where would you be.

·
Registered
178 Posts
4 years of service is just 4 oil changes and 4 tire rotation if you drive 10,000 miles a year. My dealership charges $60 for the change with rotation, so $240. Local tire shop charges $20 for rotation, which would be $80. If you're paying more than $320 for a service contract it's a rip off. That means the warranty is $3,500. I think it would be hard to have that much in repairs in 9 years honestly.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,506 Posts
$1,400 for 10/100 is quite easily obtainable.

·
Registered
683 Posts
4 years of service is just 4 oil changes and 4 tire rotation if you drive 10,000 miles a year. My dealership charges $60 for the change with rotation, so $240. Local tire shop charges $20 for rotation, which would be $80. If you're paying more than $320 for a service contract it's a rip off. That means the warranty is $3,500. I think it would be hard to have that much in repairs in 9 years honestly.
You are referencing regular maintenance that has nothing to do with extended warranty items.

·
Registered
178 Posts

-b
You are referencing regular maintenance that has nothing to do with extended warranty items.
You should change your name to confused.

·
Registered
178 Posts
^^^^ No, Vehicle Service Agreements (Extended Warranty plans, which is what this thread is about) do not cover regular maintenance. Prepaid Maintenance Plans do. See Which plan is right for me? | Toyota Financial
^^^^ Yes, this thread is about extended warranty plan AND 4 years of service. Did you not read the first post? Or how about the title of the post that you clicked on?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
^^^^ Yes, this thread is about extended warranty plan AND 4 years of service. Did you not read the first post? Or how about the title of the post that you clicked on?

Who is the provider of the Extended Warranty Plan and 4 years of service". Is it a third party or a Toyota plan?

Most people are replying as if it is the typical US Toyota plan. Have you received the legal documents for the Extended Service Plan which specifies all the services that are excluded?

·
Registered
27 Posts
WOW that is outrageous! I just got a 10yr platinum warranty for 1600 on my 2020rav4. Do a search and you will see Jerry Johnson has the best toyota warranty prices! Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson, KS. You can buy it over the phone.
If you already bought it, you can cancel and buy from this guy. I did on my first new toyota in 2012 when it cost about 1100 and used it for over 3k in parts/labor. It is well worth it! He can also do the extra toyota care years too. To me the toyota care isnt worth it because after a few years I get new tires at sams and get free rotations and usually get synthetic oil change deals at various places for 45 bucks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts