Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has found a good externally accessible location on their Rav4 for hiding a spare battery for the remote key-fob (size is CR2032).

Apparently the key-fob is constantly receiving/transmitting so battery life is relatively short. When the battery dies you can't get into a locked vehicle. There is NO key anymore! From recent news stories this is apparently the #1 AAA service call.

Someone can please confirm that it is impossible to lock the key-fob inside the car. If so, I don't have to worry about hiding the spare key-fob on the vehicle.

My old 2001 Highlander had some frame plugs installed in which I was able to hide a spare key. I haven't spent any time under the Rav yet so was wondering if anything similar existed on the Rav.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Apparently the key-fob is constantly receiving/transmitting so battery life is relatively short. When the battery dies you can't get into a locked vehicle. There is NO key anymore! From recent news stories this is apparently the #1 AAA service call.
The battery should last for 1-2 years. The key is only receiving/transmitting when it is excited by an electromagnetic field. This occurs when it is within a few feet of the RAV4's doors, of if it is stored near any other device giving off electromagnetic radiation such as a TV, radio, or some other radio transmitting device.

I also believe that your RAV has a keyhole on the drivers side door????

Maybe you are not aware that you can use the key hidden inside the keyfob to unlock the door?

Also you cannot lock your keyfob inside the vehicle. Go ahead and give it a try. Leave a window rolled down just to set your mind at ease.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
You can deactivate the smartkey fob by holding the lock button and pressing the unlock button twice, the LED will blink 4 times indicating it's deactivated. Press a key to enable it. This works on my '16 Hybrid, doesn't work on my wife's '15 Prius, so it may not work on all models.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XSE Hybrid
127 Posts
I drove my last 2 Toyotas for 5 and 4 years respectively and never had to replace a Key FOB battery

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also believe that your RAV has a keyhole on the drivers side door????
Thanks for the info. Yes, it does but only the driver's door and nowhere else. Cost and weight savings?

Maybe you are not aware that you can use the key hidden inside the keyfob to unlock the door?
Tried this out today so this isn't as big an issue as I thought it was. You can still activate the fob by holding it near the on/off switch to start the car.

Also you cannot lock your keyfob inside the vehicle. Go ahead and give it a try. Leave a window rolled down just to set your mind at ease.
This was their design goal but the manual warns that it might be possible to lock the keys in if the fob happens to be closer to an external antenna in the door than one of the internal ones in the cabin ceiling.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can deactivate the smartkey fob by holding the lock button and pressing the unlock button twice, the LED will blink 4 times indicating it's deactivated. Press a key to enable it. This works on my '16 Hybrid, doesn't work on my wife's '15 Prius, so it may not work on all models.
This is good to know and it is mentioned in the 600+ page manual for my non-hybrid.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drove my last 2 Toyotas for 5 and 4 years respectively and never had to replace a Key FOB battery
Different systems. The old ones only used power when you pushed a button. The new systems have an active receiver all the time chewing on the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts