Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a 2011 RAV4 base model with no additions/modifications. I drove it earlier today with no issues. Just went outside to get a book out of my car and when I hit the unlock button on my remote (I don't have the smartkey...I have the remote/key combo if that makes sense) it gave me extra beeps. So instead of the usual "beep beep" when unlocking, I got a "beepbeep beepbeep". Locked it and instead of one "beep" I got "beepbeep". Did this several times...then finally opened the door to get my book and tried it all again and everything seemed normal.

What does that mean? I can't find anything in my initial Googling. I didn't try to start the car though...should I have?

(I freaking LOVE this car and we're at 106000 happy roadtripping miles together! I don't want anything bad to happen to it now!)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
You know it's funny...I've heard the same thing but only in certain locations. For example, when I'm exiting the front door of my house, I can't see the RAV4 where it's parked, and if I push the button I hear the double beeps. But when I stand in front of it, the beeps are normal. Apparently it's an echo.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would say sticking key buttons. Open up the key as if you were to replace the battery, and you would see the 'crud' that accumulated on top and under the silicon skin that is the key pad. Cleaning that should remedy the problem, and change the battery while the key is open :wink

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...had no more beep problems until tonight. Beeped like normal on unlock, then refused to beep upon locking. Multiple times.

The doors actually locked (I heard the lock engage without delay, doors locked) but the first time I locked it I noticed the map lights stayed on inside the car as opposed to turning off immediately. Unlocked and locked several times and the map lights fixed themselves, but there was still no beep on lock.

Seriously hope this isn't indicative of an electrical gremlin that's about to pop up.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
It sounds like one of the door switches is getting intermittent. Especially with no beep and the interior lights staying on--that's a dead giveaway that the computer thinks one of the doors isn't shut all the way. The fun part is figuring out which door it is. Also, when this happens, you should get a door open light on the dash.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2010 Limited with the smart key, and notice whenever my wife & I both have our keys and are near the car at the same time we experience that extra beeping kind of reaction, like the locking system gets confused. The RAV4 will ultimately still open and start. Not sure given the difference between models means these situations are directly comparable, but it may be a clue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts