Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know I'm being a pain in the ass. Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to make an uninformed decision here. However, I'm so on the fence on a hybrid limited to replace my gas xle.

Where I live temps range from -35c to +35c(-31f to 100f). Each for many months straight. So as I understand it in cold weather, especially extreme cold, the ice will run pretty much constantly for the ice to provide heat. And in very hot weather, the ice runs almost constantly to recharge the battery from running the a/c etc. off the battery. Is that not correct? This is just what I'm finding in my online research.
So, is a hybrid worth it in my climate if there's only 4 months out of a year where the ice will actually shut off? Or are the ice running times exaggerated?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I live in Central Ontario - not as bad as you have it, but the ICE shuts off just fine when it can. Of course it will not shut off as much, which is why the mileage gets worse in the winter by 20% or so. But it's STILL much better than the non-hybrid version - and it's quicker!

Ok, I know I'm being a pain in the ass. Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to make an uninformed decision here. However, I'm so on the fence on a hybrid limited to replace my gas xle.

Where I live temps range from -35c to +35c(-31f to 100f). Each for many months straight. So as I understand it in cold weather, especially extreme cold, the ice will run pretty much constantly for the ice to provide heat. And in very hot weather, the ice runs almost constantly to recharge the battery from running the a/c etc. off the battery. Is that not correct? This is just what I'm finding in my online research.
So, is a hybrid worth it in my climate if there's only 4 months out of a year where the ice will actually shut off? Or are the ice running times exaggerated?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
And in very hot weather, the ice runs almost constantly to recharge the battery from running the a/c etc. off the battery. Is that not correct?
Not really. The A/C can sometimes increase the load on the ICE when its running - due to charging. But unless you're sitting still with the A/C on full blast, it won't discharge the battery enough to force an ICE start. The impact on MPG from the A/C is minimal, maybe 2 MPG when its running full blast most of the time. Once the car is cooled down and the A/C is running slower it doesn't impact MPG at all.

If you're looking for financial justification for getting a hybrid, forget it. But all the things that lower the MPG in a hybrid ALSO lower the MPG in a gas only model.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts