Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 2 door RAV4, 5 speed manual transmission with 103,000 miles. Sometimes when I start my car, it idles really low and would even die. I was told that it sometimes does that when I start and stop the engine too quickly the night before. Is this true?

On another, but somewhat similar note, sometimes, I'd be driving along and at a red light, I'd stop and my idling would have a nice little dance (up and down). I recognized that it only happens when I have my A/C on so when I turn it off, the car idles normally. Any ideas gang?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I know that this happens due to the poor engineering design (and the manufacturing) of the Idle Speed Control Valve. I have a 1998 RAV4, 5-speed manual, and my Idle Speed Control Valve has been replaced under warranty many times. I'm on my 6th one and it's acting up just like the previous 5 that I had. I average about 1 replacement Idle Speed Control Valve a year.

The one that I've had for over a year now hasn't gotten to the point of causing the motor to nearly die when stopping for stop signs or signal lights, but it will definitely get there. Sometimes, regardless of time of day, or temperature, when I start it up, the idle starts super low, roughly aroung 2000-3000 RPM, and seems like the engine is going to die and turn off. I give it a little gas and it's fine.

The thing is, it shouldn't do this. This is a known problem and Toyota has been more than willing to replace the part, even out of the warranty period. The 3SFE motors that are in the 4.1 RAV4's are the same motors used in older Camrys. This problem was evident over a decade ago and is still a known and acknowledged problem. That's probably why Toyota will replace it under warranty and also out of warranty period.

Toyota has advised me that they got a different manufacturer to make the part. Honestly, the last 2 replacements that I've had lasted longer than the earlier 4. However, the problem keeps coming back.

In addition to that, the location of the Idle Speed Control Valve is where air and dirt tend travel in the engine bay. The build of dust is a main contributor to the malfunction of the this valve.

Please keep in mind that the Toyota dealerships will charge about $150 - $180 for the labor to change it out if your RAV4 is out of thw basic warranty period. I guess that's better than paying nearly $800 just for the part alone.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's going to be something mechanical I would go for the ISC

However, when I've had this a couple of times it's gone with the next tank of fuel so I've allways put it down to poor fuel

Aircon will idle up when on

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look on this forum for a topic "Stalling at red lights..." from January 12, 2005. The last post gives excellent instructions for cleaning the idle valve. Worked for me.

Good luck,
cl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts