Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I keep the Factory Head Unit if i want to upgrade with subs and an amp, or do i have to buy a new head unit?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sixiversoners said:
Can I keep the Factory Head Unit if i want to upgrade with subs and an amp, or do i have to buy a new head unit?
i was thinking of the same thing. im very sure that you can keep your original head unit and buy the extra harness for the subs and amp. Dont go to Best Buy they have kids working there and they will butcher your system. I have learned from the past. go to a Stereo place where they only concentrate on audio set up for cars!! I ALSO WANTED to get a new head unit the only BUT i have is will they have the same syle or can they make a frame around the new head unit that loks like a factory one??hmmmm cause when you put a new head unit i believe that the whole thing goes with it so your left with a big gaping hole in the center console. just my two sense.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A Line-Output Converter (a.k.a. PAC adapter) is all you need to hook an amp up to the factory headunit. It takes the speaker output and converts it into RCAs for the amp to use. Some amps actually come with speaker inputs already on them, saving you the trouble of the PAC adapter.

The downside is that your sound quality will suffer, especially if you like your music loud. Using either of these methods, the bass will only go up about halfway. The interior speakers will keep climbing, but the subs stay at the same level.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ChEcKmAtE said:
I ALSO WANTED to get a new head unit the only BUT i have is will they have the same syle or can they make a frame around the new head unit that loks like a factory one??hmmmm cause when you put a new head unit i believe that the whole thing goes with it so your left with a big gaping hole in the center console. just my two sense.
What you are looking for is called a dash kit. One poster has had one custom made, and another says that Scosche has one coming out sometime this summer, but there isn't one readily availible yet. I've seen far more complex radio setups than the RAV4 (the radio panel also holding vents, or buttons, or screens), so I don't think it will be a big deal. Just a matter of time.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so then once i hook up the amplifier i will be able to hook up subs with that right?....how much will my sound decline if i put 2 12's in my trunk?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you use a audio control lc8 or lc6 you can run amps post your factory headunit. this unit has a remote that you can buy that will adjust the level of the amplifier for the subs. or if you buy a amp with the same option that will take line level inputs. only problem is the stock unit has a fail safe built in to protect their crappy speakers. JL and alpine both have products designed to defeat these protection curves. only problem is, is that these devices are insanely expensive. you need a sumation device the lc6-lc8 at 200 bucks and their device at 300 to 400. get a dash kit and a hu for 200 bucks and it will sound the same. but you lose your steering wheel controls. if you decide on the sumation route I have a lc8 I am going to sell because I went that route but bought a dash kit from jeff in japan and I am going aftermarket HU and saying screw it to the steering wheel controls.

Good luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts