Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've got a 2012 Limited with factory navigation. I called the local dealership about getting new map data, since it hasn't been updated since purchase (but the roads definitely have), and they said: A) they have to install it, and B) it's going to cost around $300. Does that sound right? Is there any alternative? It seems pricey, given that you can buy a new GPS unit with fresh map data for less.

I've updated the nav/stereo system software to 5.1.0, which is (I think) the latest.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hi all! I've got a 2012 Limited with factory navigation. I called the local dealership about getting new map data, since it hasn't been updated since purchase (but the roads definitely have), and they said: A) they have to install it, and B) it's going to cost around $300. Does that sound right? Is there any alternative? It seems pricey, given that you can buy a new GPS unit with fresh map data for less.

I've updated the nav/stereo system software to 5.1.0, which is (I think) the latest.
300 is not as bad as some others I've heard of, but that's the downside of a factory nav unit. I buy a new Garmin at Costco every few years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to replace the head unit to avoid this sort of gouging, but so far haven't been able to find one that has both A) iPod support (as a music storage device), and B) voice control for nav and music selection. (The lack of voice control in new units is particularly baffling – it's incredibly useful while driving and isn't exactly bleeding edge technology at this point.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the navigation update took 3.5 hours (rather than the 30 minutes they told me up front), but ended up costing a little less: $240.

Also I finally found a potential replacement head unit that has both voice control and iPod support – the Kenwood Excelon DNN992. Unfortunately the reviews for it seem on the dismal side, with a lot of people reporting really serious problems, so I'm still searching. Hopefully if Kenwood is including those features, someone else will as well, in a better quality deck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got a new car. >:D
Ford Edge, w/Sync 3 system. Quite a change from Entune.

I'm giving my Rav to my son.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts