Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, didn't old Prospector get lucky yesterday? I must be doing something right. On a whim I typed "RAV4" into local Craigslist and there was one entry, a factory Toyota RAV4 roof rack and a pair of roof rails, like new. And only 20 miles away from me. I picked them up this morning for $100, but here's the interesting part:

When I asked the salesman why this RAV4-L I was considering buying was in such good condition, he said that the original owners of it, who were from Auburn,IL, were an older couple who took great care of it, and when they bought the car they bought it loaded with most accessories offered by Toyota including the roof rails and roof rack, alarm system, CD stereo, etc., they never missed a service appointment, and kept it garaged most of the time. Once it turned ten years old they decided to trade it in on a new 2011 RAV4.

So the seller of the roof rack, located in Auburn, IL, owns a mini-storage warehouse and had a renter move away and leave a few things behind, including this roof rack assembly, when the seller asked him about it the renter said "It fit my old RAV4, but won't fit my new one, so go ahead and keep it. Green Toyota won't buy it back from me even though it's like new."

I bought my RAV4 used from Green Toyota in 2010. I can't confirm it, but I think I may have just bought my cars original roof rack. HAH! :D Ain't that a kick in the pants? What are the odds? I didn't even quibble about the price, I just handed him 5 twenty's. A red letter day in my play book. I'll add photos of it if anyone is interested...if I can figure out how to upload them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like new, I got three keys, every bracket and every nut and bolt, and both instruction / assembly sheets.

I don't forsee ever using the luggage rack, but the roof rails will carry plenty af plywood and lumber, that alone is a big relief to have that capability, so $50 per rail is worth it to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts