Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm looking to add a couple switches to my 2016 XLE Hybrid. There are many blanks spots(2 on either side of steering wheel and 3 on lower dash by the charging ports) where switches would go if you got options I didn't. There is just blanks there like what I am assuming everyone else has as well. Has anyone tried or know of switches that are on/off that fit in those blanks? I've done a search and found a couple on amazon that *might* fit. But I'm not sure. And i don't have a Micrometer to accurately measure them.

What I've found is this:
These are for Scions originally and work with other Toyotas

https://www.oznium.com/gsw-45

2 different sizes but very close to each other so a tape measure probably wouldn't cut it. These sizes are CLOSE but not the same as the spec on the Oznium switch above(I know the owner of the store personally and he owned a Tc for a while so I know that his switches fit what it says on his site as he pretty much made them so he could put them in his Tc. But he hasn't updated that site in forever so I don't know if they will fit the newer models or not.

MICTUNING [New] LED Push Button Switch with Connector Wire Kit for Toyota - Laser Etched LED LIGHT BAR Symbol -Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G1W80JI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_rcV4yb6NJY496

I'd be happy with a simple led or cool lettering like the amazon one to let me know that the switches are on/off. I'm more concerned with it fitting and looking nice. If not I will end up doing normal rocker switches drilled into those spots but I'd rather if I can it look perfect.

If no one has I will end up measuring it at work and taking the hit as the guinea pig on it and just going for it. I am very experience in electrical and car modification so that isn't an issue.

I have a set of led bars going under the dash and the front seats to light up all 4 areas(multicolor as well so my 3 year old can have fun telling me what color she wants that day) along with future upgrades I'd need switches for including more exterior and interior lighting, subwoofer which I would like a manual switch for, and what ever the future holds.

Thanks for your help and I will keep this updated with my finds.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try this thread:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/227818-oem-driving-light-push-push-off-switch.html#post2129929

The size of the recessed openings in the dash are 32.5 x 22 mm (1.28 x 0.87"). There may also be one in the glove compartment, depending on options ordered.
Thanks for the info! I actually ordered the one on amazon and it happened to be the exact size you just said. So I should be good. I get it tomorrow and at 10 bucks for a clean factory install its a good deal imo. The one I linked also has ones with dual USB and such that I plan on installing to take up the blank spots just to make it look more "finished"

So glad these will work I was really not looking forward to the look of a round switch in a "square" spot lol.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
So...I wonder if I took one of these on/off switches and replaced the momentary Sport switch if the Sport option would come on automatically and stay on as long as the switch was left in the On position?

Hmmmm...inquiring minds want to know!
You could test it by jamming a toothpick or small piece of paper in there to hold the switch down....

·
Registered
449 Posts
So...I wonder if I took one of these on/off switches and replaced the momentary Sport switch if the Sport option would come on automatically and stay on as long as the switch was left in the On position?

You're referring to the "drive mode"? I don't think so. Momentary switch usually activate a relay to latch on to function and disconnect when car is switched off. Now that relay could be in the ECU or a separate physical relay. Will be very costly to undo if changing to a SPST on-off switch damages operation.
I'm also eagerly waiting to hear that someone have figured out how to change the default setting from normal to sport.

·
Registered
132 Posts

I don't think that'd work. I'm willing to bet when the computer boots, it doesn't care about the position of the SPORT button and automatically defaults to OFF. This would prevent it from accidentally being turned on if you left your phone or junk pressed up against it.

Here's an idea: find some kind of 12VDC time delay relay. Wire it to 12VDC input side of the SPORT mode switch so when 12VDC becomes present at startup, the relay waits a few seconds then closes and reopens, activating SPORT mode automatically.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Need the zombie light switch, but confused by the ebay post. Looks like it is one switch with multiple face plates. Think I found my next project :D

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Rav4 LE AWD
62 Posts
I like the option that they left us to add multiple switches without cutting into or screwing a bracket onto anything. This way when the vehicle is sold it can go back to factory very easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i am also interested in adding buttons/switches there as well, can you guys help me out with steps on how to remove the plastic trim ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered these two kits from Amazon to remove trim, etc. - inexpensive and no marking and tearing up the trim. Just work carefully and you should be okay.

Youtube videos help as well to get the removal sequence correct as some part lay on top of others, etc.

Just repair the links so they work :)

www amazon com/gp/product/B00ZRLLY6Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

www amazon com/gp/product/B005NMCE04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
46 Posts
The one I linked also has ones with dual USB and such that I plan on installing to take up the blank spots just to make it look more "finished"
I'm looking for a factory-style plate with dual USB couplers to connect to the rear USB of my stereo receiver. Can you (or another like-minded individual) point me in the right direction.

The button options are encouraging!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm looking for a factory-style plate with dual USB couplers to connect to the rear USB of my stereo receiver. Can you (or another like-minded individual) point me in the right direction.

The button options are encouraging!

Thanks in advance.

This is what I have. If you can mod it to work with your stereo I am unsure as I didn't venture down that path. I just use it for power to charge phone when on my mount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F5LK0MG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
46 Posts
I found the following 33.0 x 22.5 mm format module that features two ports: one USB type A pass through to the head unit and one USB type A 3.1 amp charging port. I ordered a pair (as my head Unit has a port for Android and a port for Apple CarPlay). I’ll follow up with photos and review when I receive and install.

Cllena High Speed Dual Port USB Car Charger with Audio Socket for TOYOTA Series,USB charging for iPhone, iPad, Samsung and More (3.3A + Audio)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N12G8QY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8EU8BbNEN0J0F

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey OP, if you're looking for a factory switch site/OEM Toyota factory switch site then you have to check out https://www.toyotapartsprime.com/ . They have everything OEM Toyota at low prices. Just enter your VIN to view your vehicle's catalog and search through the categories for what you need. Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts