Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 Rav4 Limited with factory nav unit. It's non-jbl as far as I can tell. I'm just getting back to fixing the failed Pioneer install after several months of life getting in the way... Here's the issue. I power on the new stereo, speakers come to life then stop. Unit is still lit, connects to bluetooth, etc. but no sound. It seems there's some amp somewhere then starts then stops. Any ideas? If I put the factory unit back in there is no sound. This is driving me crazy. This is the third install I've done of this stereo, I have it in my other 2 cars. It should be a no-brainer but the wiring in this RAV is off the hook behind the dash compared to my other cars. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Whoops, looks like this is the wrong forum, mods, please move as appropriate.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,319 Posts
when you hooked it up did you use the correct wire harness adapters or did you cut wires?...do your door speaker grills have a little orange jbl emblem on them?...
And do you have a big subwoofer in the rear cargo door?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the late reply, but no and no. I am using the Metra 70-1761 Receiver Wiring Harness. I orig. x connected the illumination wire and that caused the dash fuse to pop but that has been remedied. It's odd that it powers up and works for a about 3 seconds but then the sound cuts out with no other visible issue with the stereo. I actually pulled the unit from the RAV and pulled the unit from my RAM and the Rav stereo works just fine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sounds like there is a direct short in the speaker wires that is causing the head unit to go into protection mode. RuNning new speaker wires will fix it. Or you disconnect the speaker wires after the harness and connect them one at a time and see which one causes the radio to cut out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.