Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just joined this forum as I've just purchased a 2000 RAV4 off Craigslist and the interior fan blower has 2 problems.
One of which is the fan speed does not correspond directly to the speed controller of it. It works properly on Low, the next notch up, and High, but the notch between High and the second notch is the same speed as Low. Any idea what could be the issue with that?
And secondly, while driving up a hill this morning in about 45°F the fan blower began making noise. The engine had just downshifted back to 2nd, I guessed that was a fan making the noise so I switched it off. Turning it on later in the day it sounded like a squeaky bearing. I don't want to run that without fixing the issue, does anyone have an idea of what to do? Thanks for the help, it's my first car and I don't wanna screw it up!

·
Registered
500 Posts
The first thing I would do is take the blower apart and inspect it for debris. I think it is a nice small project for a newbie. I was hearing noise from my Rav's blower last year and easily removed it. I found a huge, like a fist's-size or more, accumulation of small branches, dried grass, et cetera. I saw no signs of mice (as in blood, guts and a bad smell), but who knows? On most vehicles, the blower area is a favorite entry and nesting point for mice. I dumped all the debris out, gave the blower a good once over with some Simple Green cleaner (being careful not to get liquid in the motor area), re-installed it, and the noise was gone. The blower is in the passenger side, beneath the glovebox. Here are some photos showing the location more exactly:

Here's a youtube video on how to remove the blower:

You might want to look under the glovebox and see if the three bolts shown can be removed without taking off the glovebox. I do not remember having to take so much apart, but I could be mis-remembering. Still, even if you do have to take every step in the youtube video, I think it's pretty straightforward.

Once the bolts are removed, with a little gentle persuasion the blower should drop down. Spin it and see if the bearing sounds bad. One may purchase a new aftermarket blower on eBay for under $30. I also have found parts at rockauto.com to be competitively priced. For the blower, I would try aftermarket.

I will write more about the faulty blower speeds in the next post.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Regarding the fan speed being incorrect: I believe the symptoms you are seeing most likely indicate a bad switch in the HVAC control module. Some people have found these switches repairable. Some just replace the switch. Aftermarket switches sell for $40 to $80 on eBay. Rockauto may also have the switch.

Here are a couple of photos of an un-installed Rav4.1 HVAC control module to help a person get her/his bearings:

The following threads seem to have good advice on replacing the switch:

I have had the HVAC control module out (or partly out) a few times. It takes some patience but like the folks above indicate, it can be done. If you feel lost on how to get the module out, maybe go to a salvage yard and get some practice first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts