Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Fancy Mudguards on the Side of Some Rav4.2s: Optional? Part Name? P/N?

549 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  1.8TTony
What is the name and p/n of the trim circled in yellow below? Can this be added to any second generation Rav4? Is there a certain sub-model that has this trim? I searched my favorite parts sites and cannot nail it.
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2020 Limited AWD
What is the name and p/n of the trim circled in yellow below? Can this be added to any second generation Rav4? Is there a certain sub-model that has this trim? I searched my favorite parts sites and cannot nail it. View attachment 190978
Oh the memories! When I purchased my first Rav4, a 2001 (with 1 mile on the ODO!), this was one of the OEM options that were available to me to purchase and have the dealer install.

I forget the exact name of this but it was more decorative if I recall. It was supposed to function similar to that little step rail that goes on trucks with high ground clearance, but the 4.2 didn't really need it (plus it actually lowered your ground clearance.)

I'll dig around and see if I can find my old sales brochure. I kept all of that stuff for the memories. I lost my beloved 4.2 in a car accident several years ago (I wasn't at fault). But I'm still salty as hell, because I loved that damn car.

EDIT: Found it! .... But my memory was wrong, it's not the sales brochure but the pocket owners manual. Wonder how much this would go for on eBay? 馃槀

Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

Registered
1998 Rav4, manual transmission, 2WD, 5-door, JDM engine installed in 2013
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect, WillRav4Tacos. Thank you. I am keeping an eye peeled for maybe a second Rav4, to add to my first generation Rav4. I love the look of this OEM option but the reduced clearance might be a dealbreaker for me.

Registered
Is that the part you are looking for?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, those are the mudguards(?) I have been admiring on a certain 2002 Rav4 in my neighborhood. My photo does not show all that your photo does. I guess there are some differences from one sub-model to another.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Elle__Rav4 Did you find a part number yet? Considering adding these running boards at some point after I do a lift
The best I could find is what looks like aftermarket running boards (a.k.a. step guards?) like these:
Kitchen utensil Font Metal Fashion accessory Automotive exterior

Ebay supposedly advertised these as follows "For Toyota RAV4 01-04 Iconic Accessories 3" Polished Round Tube Step Bars."

I would have thought they would be in the body section of toyota parts sites, like here:
www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_U_2002_TOYOTA_RAV4_ACA26L-AWMNKA_3.html . But nothing I have seen so far looks anything like what I see now and then on second generation Rav4s.

Maybe the problem is these running boards are options? I am not sure how "options" are presented at toyota parts sites.

Premium Member
2005 Toyota Rav4
The best I could find is what looks like aftermarket running boards (a.k.a. step guards?) like these:
View attachment 191343
Ebay supposedly advertised these as follows "For Toyota RAV4 01-04 Iconic Accessories 3" Polished Round Tube Step Bars."

I would have thought they would be in the body section of toyota parts sites, like here:
www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_U_2002_TOYOTA_RAV4_ACA26L-AWMNKA_3.html . But nothing I have seen so far looks anything like what I see now and then on second generation Rav4s.

Maybe the problem is these running boards are options? I am not sure how "options" are presented at toyota parts sites.
Okay thanks for the info! Update us if you decide to purchase them!

Registered
View attachment 191343

It seems to be the exact same step bars I have on my blue RAV4.

Reactions: Elle__Rav4

Registered
Is that the part you are looking for?

I used to have a pair of those for my Rav. Only thing I used them for was to kick mud/snow off my boots. They really got in the way when traversing mountain terrain.

I tossed them in the recycling bin years ago, and was happy to have them off my Rav........until I installed a cargo box on the roof. Now I wish I still had them. Oops.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Water Car Sky

Registered
I just bought the blue RAV4 about 2 months ago... and the step bars were already installed on it. I won't keep these exactly for off road ground clearance... but for now I'm still using my black RAV4. Put/remove things in my roof basket never was an issue for me. Ground clearance is my priority.

Registered
Another thing I'll mention regarding these side steps......they are mounted so close to the body of the car......if you stand on them you have to LITERALLY stand on your tippy toes to be on them. Maybe not a problem for people with smaller feet (where the majority of their feet can be placed upon these steps) but for people like myself with large feet...it's just uncomfortable standing on them. Compound this with wearing bulky steel-toe boots, no good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts