Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Mothers Day :!: :cry: , my RAV4 failed to turn on. The key switch rotated to certain position, but not enough to turn the engine. Then I think the alarm went dead. Can this be a consequence of a new, more powerful battery? Well, tomorrow I'll take it to my nearest Toyota Dealer and have the electrical system check. What bothers me is that the key switch failed to let the key rotate pass the ACC position. It was locked. Can this be a defense of the alarm system? Does the computer have to be reset? Do i need a new alarm system? :shock: :?: :?: :?:

Does anyone know :?:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Mensagero...you probably forgot to wish your RAV a "Happy Mother's Day" before trying to start her up! :lol: Now she's cross at 'ya and will not start up until you buy her some flowers or chocolates or something. :D

Just kidding... Could the problem be the new Pivot Grounding Kit or Tri-Phase Module that you have recently installed. From what you have mentioned about your key not being able to turn pass the ACC setting, could the problem be a faulty ignition switch or lock cylinder? If you have a Haynes manual, it is in section 12-7; hope that helps.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Pivot Ground and the Tri-Phase are not installed...yet. The Ground kit is in Back Order. The Tri-Phase is still waiting for me to send them the Basic Module I have installed. :roll: I looked over the Hayes and this is a project. I would have to ininstall the Ignition switch :roll: etc, etc, etc. I'll take it to the Toyota dealer and let some of my ex-students work it out, piece of cake for them. Cost, well, I hoe it won't cost me an arm and a leg. They are already reserved :lol: Thanks Derek.

BTW, wish your wife a Happy mothers Day for me. 8)

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't think there is anything electrical in the ignition switch that would keep it from moving to the start position, at least as far as I know. It could be a bad cylinder/switch, or the steering wheel lock could be acting up. Did you try different keys?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did try different keys. I just took it to my local Toyota dealer. Told them the symptoms. And let them tell me what is going on. I rented a flatbed and i had to push it into the garage [of course they helped me :) ]. Lets wait and see what they'll say, I also told them to check the electrical system. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts