Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 02 Generation RAVs are getting old yet the "faults and fixes" link still has very low attendance. Come on guys/gals, if this was a Ford ESCAPE site, that link would be VERY BUSY !!!! Can't you make up some problems.... :lol:

It is funny that the FEW Toyota owners that DO get a problem with their car, usually completely FREAK OUT because they don't expect a thing like that from their Toyota and are usually heard all over the place because they are mad...

At a Ford Escape forum, that would be an every day ritual so nothing would stand out..... :lol:

It is amazing talking to an owner of a GM/Ford late model car. They are usually talking about their vehicle and how much they love it and it has been a "reliable" car and very simply slip into the conversation that they had just one blown transmission and that did not cost much to replace. No big deal...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no faults

I have a 2002 RAV4 AUTO, and I am sorry to have to admit that nothing goes wrong with it, and it just keeps getting better and better. Its done 70000Km, and I just change the oil every 10000Km with Castrol R (5/30 syn) and that's about it.

It doesn't give me much to talk about, it would be better if something failed every week as I would be able to always announce something new had broken.

Brian

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RAV4EVR said:
It is amazing talking to an owner of a GM/Ford late model car. They are usually talking about their vehicle and how much they love it and it has been a "reliable" car and very simply slip into the conversation that they had just one blown transmission and that did not cost much to replace. No big deal...
I know what you mean. People always preach the merits of domestic trucks because of their apparent "toughness" and lower cost, compared to Japanese brands, and on the same breath talk about a leaking gasket, blown tranny, faulty radiator, etc. with their GM, Ford or Dodge/Jeep. Let's face it... Toyota's ain't perfect, but the reliability of Japanese cars (particularly the RAV4, built in Tahara, alongside the 4Runner and a couple of Lexus models) far surpasses the big three any day.

About a month ago, in Vancouver, I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Calvin "p*** on Toyota" sticker. I almost flipped out, but took a deep breath and thought to myself... maybe he is just mentally ill. :p Toyota started building off-road SUVs (the original FJ Land Cruisers) at around the same time AMC started producing the Jeep for the general public. 8)

Let's face it... Japanese cars are expensive to repair... but, frankly, how often does a Toyota (or Honda) need repair? :roll: My one-year-old RAV4 is virtually problem-free (except for ongoing FM reception issues).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understant 100% with you guys ... one of my good friends just passed away, but he was big in the whole Jeep club thing , he was the mechanic at my dads shop, about every weekend a new jeep was in the shop getting something fixed on it, my 2002 Rav4 has yet to encounter any problems except once there was something with emmissions on it or something ... it had to do with somewhere in the exaust ... but all mayjor components are keeping in tact ,

Keep to the ravin' , Jon

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EHinthe604 said:
About a month ago, in Vancouver, I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Calvin "p*** on Toyota" sticker. I almost flipped out, but took a deep breath and thought to myself... maybe he is just mentally ill. :p Toyota started building off-road SUVs (the original FJ Land Cruisers) at around the same time AMC started producing the Jeep for the general public. 8)
I used to look for those people on the road. Living in Detroit, I saw quiet a few of those. Once I saw a Ford 350 some crap with a trailer in the back and on the side a Calving peeing on Japanese cars. THAT DID IT FOR ME. I cut him off in my Honda Accord and SLAMMED ON MY BRAKES. If he had hit me, it was going to be his fault because a cat was crossing the road. Really!

I had a big sticker on the back of my Accord which read,
"250k ORIGINAL MILE CLUB".

I think I made my point there. I then took off and he was just seen cursing in his pickup and ofcourse could not catch me after that.

Now I have two kids and I also moved out of Detroit so lately things have been calm on the road for me. I hope it stays like that.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brakes, brakes, brakes!

jonathan_ravman said:
I understant 100% with you guys ... one of my good friends just passed away, but he was big in the whole Jeep club thing , he was the mechanic at my dads shop, about every weekend a new jeep was in the shop getting something fixed on it, my 2002 RAV4 has yet to encounter any problems except once there was something with emmissions on it or something ... it had to do with somewhere in the exaust ... but all mayjor components are keeping in tact ,

Keep to the ravin' , Jon
Another chronic maintenance (design?) issue with Japanese trucks, vans and SUVs is the brakes. I read that the earlier (2000 and 2001)Tundras had a lot of brake issues, i.e.: pads going with only a few thousand miles or km. Our family had a 1987 old school Toyota Van... trusty thing, but man, the brakes were an issue. Same with my dad's old 1990 Mazda MPV. However, notwithstanding brake issues, they were a charm mechanically... no transmission issues, no engine trouble, just the regular maintenance stuff. We drove them to California and back many times with both vans!

However, my dad's 2000 Honda CR-V is virtually problem-free, as with my 2004 RAV4.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RAV4EVR said:
I used to look for those people on the road. Living in Detroit, I saw quiet a few of those. Once I saw a Ford 350 some crap with a trailer in the back and on the side a Calving peeing on Japanese cars. THAT DID IT FOR ME. I cut him off in my Honda Accord and SLAMMED ON MY BRAKES. If he had hit me, it was going to be his fault because a cat was crossing the road. Really!
I almost took a picture of the sticker on that Cherokee (with my cell phone camera) to show on this site, but the driver was just getting out of his car to feed the parking meter (and I was on foot at the time, walking back to my RAV4 parked across the street). I didn't want to create a big stink with the driver by taking unauthorized pictures of his car. :p

OK, I don't understand this... if GM, Ford and Chrysler/Jeep are the only ones making good SUVs, then why do I see so many older Toyota 4Runners and old-school pickups (pre-Tacoma) on the road in Vancouver, especially ones that are raised for off-roading? Sure, I still see a few off-road customized older Explorers and Cherokees, but the Japanese models outnumber the big three.

I like the ads that I saw earlier this year on TV (seen in both Canada and the US, i think) about the new Tacoma, which went into detail about Toyota's rich (but often ignored) history of building trucks used around the world... "Everything we learned out there, we put in here." Another ad, seen only in Canada (I think) is one in which a Chev/GMC pickup gets stuck off-roading, but a RAV4 zips by, with the driver waving at the Chev/GMC driver. :lol:

It's either you pay extra for a more expensive Japanese car NOW, or pay later for extensive repair bills for a domestic. There is no nice way to put it. Sure, domestics look big and macho (wouldn't I look cool behind the wheel of a F-150 King Ranch Edition? :wink: hahahaha...), but man, when I pay a lot of money for a car, vanity is not a priority at all.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EHinthe604 said:
I like the ads that I saw earlier this year on TV (seen in both Canada and the US, i think) about the new Tacoma, which went into detail about Toyota's rich (but often ignored) history of building trucks used around the world... "Everything we learned out there, we put in here." Another ad, seen only in Canada (I think) is one in which a Chev/GMC pickup gets stuck off-roading, but a RAV4 zips by, with the driver waving at the Chev/GMC driver. :lol:

It's either you pay extra for a more expensive Japanese car NOW, or pay later for extensive repair bills for a domestic. There is no nice way to put it. Sure, domestics look big and macho (wouldn't I look cool behind the wheel of a F-150 King Ranch Edition? :wink: hahahaha...), but man, when I pay a lot of money for a car, vanity is not a priority at all.

That is one thing I have not been able to understand.. Toyota history is dating back to WWII but there is never any mention of it.

If it was a German or US automaker, that would be crammed in our heads in every advertisement. I am going to post a long article about that on toyotanation.com.....

Ranch Edition??? Check out the next Tundra concept.... It will redefine the "RANCH" meaning for us !

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RAV4EVR said:
That is one thing I have not been able to understand.. Toyota history is dating back to WWII but there is never any mention of it.

If it was a German or US automaker, that would be crammed in our heads in every advertisement. I am going to post a long article about that on toyotanation.com.....

Ranch Edition??? Check out the next Tundra concept.... It will redefine the "RANCH" meaning for us !
It's too bad that people think the truck market is pretty much a GM vs. Ford vs. DaimlmerChrysler (Dodge/Jeep) battle. When Toyota came out with the Tundra in 2000, everybody "redefined" the definition of a full-size truck, so that the Tundra wouldn't be considered a full-size. However, the new Tacoma is definitely a blockbuster truck for the compact/mid-size pickup class, in my frank opinion.

Too bad that the 2005 Tacoma ad isn't on TV anymore. I've been searching unsuccessfully for sites that would carry the commercial. It shows video clips of Toyota trucks in action at construction sites, in the jungle, in the desert and on the farm... old pickups, old Land Cruisers, etc. The catch-phrase was "Everything we learned out there, we put in here..." (as in the new Tacoma).

Happy RAVving... 8)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately, my 2004 RAV has had more problems than I ever thought it would. So far it's up to 8 defects in 13 months and now the tires are wearing uneven possibly pushing it to 9. I have to say the vehicle was poorly assembled and delivered with a loose ignition switch, visor clips and probably loose interior panels with all the squeaks and rattles going on. It sounds worse than the old van with 120,000 miles I replaced it with. I can't blame everything on the crew that built it since some parts that failed were probably outsourced, but so far it's fallen short of my expections and what I've heard about Toyota quality. My fear is that if I keep it's likely to turn into a money pit. If I add up the cost of all the work it's needed so far it's in the thousands of dollars and I'd hate to have that fall on me when the warranty is expired.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, like mine, 3 years old and never missed a beat. trouble with buying japanese i suppose...... :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stafford Meadow said:
Unfortunately, my 2004 RAV has had more problems than I ever thought it would. So far it's up to 8 defects in 13 months and now the tires are wearing uneven possibly pushing it to 9. I have to say the vehicle was poorly assembled and delivered with a loose ignition switch, visor clips and probably loose interior panels with all the squeaks and rattles going on. It sounds worse than the old van with 120,000 miles I replaced it with. I can't blame everything on the crew that built it since some parts that failed were probably outsourced, but so far it's fallen short of my expections and what I've heard about Toyota quality. My fear is that if I keep it's likely to turn into a money pit. If I add up the cost of all the work it's needed so far it's in the thousands of dollars and I'd hate to have that fall on me when the warranty is expired.

I see there is no "Meadow" for you when it comes to cars.. LOL!

Sorry dude.. every manufacturer has a few trouble cars and seems like you were the "chosen" one on this one. I hope things stabilize for your RAV soon...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EHinthe604 said:
However, the new Tacoma is definitely a blockbuster truck for the compact/mid-size pickup class, in my frank opinion.

Happy RAVving... 8)
Yeah.. I won't even mention the "erasing" of TOYOTA signs from back of pick up trucks for decades now because people don't want to "advertise"

I want to stop one of these on the roads and slap 'em silly for not having the gutts to admint/accept what they believe in.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RAV4EVR said:
Yeah.. I won't even mention the "erasing" of TOYOTA signs from back of pick up trucks for decades now because people don't want to "advertise"

I want to stop one of these on the roads and slap 'em silly for not having the gutts to admint/accept what they believe in.
Really? I didn't know that people rubbed out their Toyota signs from the back of their trucks merely due to embarrassment. If anything, I prefer to "flaunt" the fact that I drive a Toyota. :p

I don't get it. Some people prefer to pay for an inferior GM or Ford or Dodge pickup merely to maintain a macho image. Pardon my ignorance, but I just don't get it. Toyota trucks are as tough, if not more tough, than their big-three counterparts.

Here in Vancouver, as I said before, old school Toyota trucks are everywhere. Two weeks ago, when I attended a street festival (on the same street where I saw the Grand Cherokee with a Calvin p*** on Toyota sticker as I mentioned earlier on this thread), I saw lots of first-generation 4Runners with the hardtop removed (at least five in a one-hour period). There are lifted pickups and 4Runners all over Vancouver. I also saw an old Tercel 4WD station wagon with TRD stickers plastered all over.

I know this sounds funny, but seriously, one big disadvantage of driving a Toyota is finding enough excuses to sell it before it breaks down. When I traded in my 1995 Tercel last year, I really had to convince others that I really wanted a new car, since there weren't really any mechanical problems with the Tercel, other than the fact that I wanted something bigger to carry my bike.

I'll definitely hang on to my RAV4 for a while before I can afford a Highlander Hybird or a Lexus RX400h, or whatever hybrid SUVs Toyota Motors develops in the future... if I can muster the courage to sell or trade my RAV4. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts