Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Feel gipped by payload capacity!

11K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  farmer17 
G
#1 ·
I just got my rav the other day, and I like the car. But I started reading here about the payload capacity on a rav4 without 3rd row seats and cant help feeling extremely disappointed. Perhaps I am making too much of this, but I got an SUV for the precise reason to be able to haul stuff/people around when I need to. I mean 825lbs is not much at all, and maybe its my fault for not understanding this better beforehand, but lets look at some basic real situations. if you have 5 adults at 166 lbs each, you have exceded payload. You go on a trip w ith 4 50lbs suitcases in the back and 4 passengers at 157 lbs each. Once again, your over payload capacity! In my opinion this makes the full capacity of the interior unusable!!! If I had realized this beforehand.. I would have gotten third row seats just for the added payload (especially seeing how its the cheapest option package!). You never see payload listed under specs (I guess you can do gross vehicle - curb or whatever), but I think they should be more upfront with this information as it seems like a pretty basic/important piece of information. Im praying, someone here who is knowledgable about these things can provide a few words of wisdom that can help justify this pathetic payload capacity. Please tell me something that Im missing to ease my disbelief towards this shortcoming.

I love everything else about the car tho

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you are overreacting. Im sure the Rav can haul all the weight you can throw at it just fine.. Just load it up and enjoy it. If I remmber correct someone here had their Rav loaded with 7 people + luggage and drive to disney.. and it was a 5 passenger Rav and he had no issues.

#3 ·
You should really look at the GVWR instead of payload rating if you consider passengers as payload. The GVWR for a I4 with no 3rd row seat is 1030 pounds and I am sure that is a conservative number. I am not sure about this but I think payload rating is for cargo in the back only. That rating may be limited by the weight that the cover for bin storage can withstand.

#4 ·
Where did you get the 825 pounds figure? The payload varies between 1023 and 1059 pounds for the 4 and 6 cylinder Ltd in 2 and 4wd models, calculated from Toyota's advertised curb and GVW ratings. The other models are similar. That gives a cargo capacity of about 400 pounds with four 160 pound passengers. Even adding a bunch of optional equipment like sunroof and dvd player won't bring that payload figure down by any where near 200 pounds.

In spite of the body design the RAV4 is a CAR not a real SUV. You can't expect it to ride like a car and carry heavy cargo in the back. If you want to beef up the capacity of your RAV4 consider an OME suspension when they become available. These kits usually ride a little firmer than stock and offer extra stability and considerably more load capacity. And also a couple of inches of lift for that rugged look.

http://www.arbusa.com/old_man_emu_suspension.htm

John Davies
Spokane WA

G
#5 ·
Perhaps I am over-reacting to the payload capacity, and as long as the axles dont snap (which Im sure they wont), Im sure itll be fine. But it did strike me as odd to hear such a low number. even just 1000 lbs would make me happy.

I got the 825 lbs figure from the user manual, which also instructs you to look at the label inside the driver side door. In both of these places it stresses not to go over the 825 lbs payload figure. Today Im sure all my coworkers will want to pile into my car for lunch. So I guarantee Ill be over 825 lbs. I just feel its odd that they can make the 3rd row seat car which rates at over 1000 lbs and the non 3rd row is rated at 300 lbs less! From what I understand, calculating the payload by subtracting curb weight from gvwr will give a +1000 lb number but it also seems from what Ive been reading this doesnt cover all "accessories", hence the 825 number.

Anyways, I love the car and Ill fill her up with some human cargo today! :p

#6 ·
We just had a lengthy discussion on the 5-passenger vs. 7-passenger payload rating.
Look for the following topic:
"payload difference 5-passenger vs. 7-passenger"

it's several lines down.

BTW, how one posts links to other topics?

G
#7 ·
flyingn said:
I think you are overreacting. Im sure the RAV can haul all the weight you can throw at it just fine.. Just load it up and enjoy it. If I remmber correct someone here had their RAV loaded with 7 people + luggage and drive to disney.. and it was a 5 passenger RAV and he had no issues.
I'd second this. Just load it up and go.

If you need to haul anything heavier than 7 full sized adults, rent a truck...

#8 ·
friendly_jacek said:
BTW, how one posts links to other topics?
Cut/Paste the address/url into the message. It will automaticly parse into a clickable link.

If the address you see is simply http://rav4world.com... RIGHT CLICK on a blank spot in the message and choose "Open Frame in New Window". (If you are choosing a message by viewing the topics list... hold down the SHIFT KEY, click on it, and it will open in a new window.) Then you can cut/paste the address.

FWIW... RAV4World is planning on doing away with FRAMES... in the near future :roll: 8)

G
#10 ·
Load capacity

I have the Limited V6 with 3rd row and I have twice loaded the vehicle with 1000 lbs of concrete for a short trip. The vehicle did not bottom out and did not have any issue with the weight. I probably would not have driven a long distance with this type of load. I feel the vehicle was not designed for this purpose. That being said, it did the job. I think you just have to be smart about what you are doing and you will be Ok. I did not push the vehicle with this amount of weight in the cargo bay nor did I make any sharp turns of stops. I never felt as if the vehicle could not handle the payload. Hope this helps.

#11 ·
i usually overload my rav4 although it say 825lbs and some information says up to 1130lbs for my 2009 model. thinkin' that there must be extra pounds that i can carry over the limit.

but after 2 years, i realized that i am overloading the rav. so, i make sure now, since this is out of warranty already to not to overload it. :-(

just want to lengthen my rav suspension's and/or powertrain's life. :)

plus, my oil change mileage interval has changed from 4-5k. or 4k then just replace the oil, then next 4k , replace oil filter and oil.

#13 ·
i actually did this 7.5-8k for the last 5 years.

oil is cheap just to take care the ravvy. yes, i am using 0w20 for 5.26$/liter for about 4.4L engine oil. and im doing the oil change.

old thread? that is why i put PLUS. :)

#14 ·
I just loaded 950 lbs of ceramic tile in my 2012 RAV 4 cyl and it did just fine cruising 75mph down the highway. With me and my tools that's over 1250 lbs and I accidentally went over some narly railroad tracks pretty fast and it never bottomed out. And the good news is.....when it was loaded down the little squeaky noise in the back went away! Bad news is.....when I offloaded the ceramic tile the squeak came back:(.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.