Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post and am looking for help on replacing the rear wheel arches that I bought from Toyota.

They are held on with several clips and some metal brackets that are riveted on to the plastic cover. How do I remove these rivets so I can mount the brackets onto the new pieces?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
you will have to drill out the rivets. i recomend using a UNIBIT, if you do not have one a regular drill bit will work just fine. becarful to go slow you will only need to remove the head of the rivet. once the head of the rivet is off take a pin pinch and a hammer and tap out the rest of the rivet. the reason i recommend this method is because if you do not use the correct size drill bit you can enlarge the hole and the new rivet will be loose. oh almost forgot make sure you get the new rivet from the dealer they are special. if you need more info you can message me.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drilled out the heads of the rivets with a regular drill bit and tapped the rest out.

To re-attach, I also used a regular riveting tool and had to drill the holes just slightly larger to accomadate the standard rivets becuase they are a hair larger than the Toyota ones.

I also used aluminum washers between the body panel and the rivet.

Thanks onikaze for the help.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im glad i could be of help. :D FYI - i have a secret to confess. i use to be a tech at a toyota dealer in So Cal. :oops:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts