Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy is it to get OEM style fender flares for a 2000 RAV4? I'm looking at getting a 2000 RAV4, but it has no fender flares and would prefer to have them. Also, how much $ am I looking at?

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's nearly impossible to get the Toyota OEM Fender Flares for 4.1 RAV4's. They have been discontinued sometime in last year in 2004. All North American Toyota wherehouses and Toyota Dealerships are completely out of stock. Furthermore, the Toyota parts system also states that they are discontinued and that no one has them in stock.

I had a set on my 1998 RAV for many years and got lucky in March 2005. I was rear-ended on my way to go skiing and when I returned from the trip to have the car fixed at a local auto body repair shop, I gave them part numbers to see if they can locate a set of the OEM Fender Flares for me. The reason why I wanted to replace them was because they started to fade and chip (basically sun damage over the years of use).

The body shop luckily located the last known set of OEM fender flares for 4.1 RAV4s and I paid a hefty price of $600 USD for the set. Back in the day when they were readily available, the price for the entire set was about $255 USD (which is the price I paid about 5 years ago).

I prefer to keep my cars looking new all the time. Spending $600 for a discontinued product was something I had to do. There are a few aftermarket fender flares out there but the Toyota OEM fender flares look and fit the best (in my opinion).

I wish you luck on trying to find a set. I'm almost positive I purchased the last available set in North America.

If you find them, let us know that you were successful!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking for something more bold, like the original styling:

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
toyotaworld.com (aka - Jay Marks Toyota Parts) lists the 4.1 OEM flares on their site. Maybe they still have them available :?:

http://www.toyotaworld.com/accessories/fender_flares.htm

If you contact them... ask for "Jeff" in parts. He used to be (or maybe still is?) a RAV4 owner. Tell him "Kelly from RAV4World sent you :) ) If they don't have them... tell "Jeff" he needs to UPDATE his website :roll:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I called Jay Marks Toyota and every known Toyota dealership (in USA and Canada) back in March 2005 that had a website and listed the factory fender flares. For confirmation, I asked all the dealerships that I contacted to check their national parts locator. That's how I found out that no one on North America has them in inventory.

If for some reason a Toyota dealership has them in stock or can get them from a Toyota parts warehouse, I recommend that you buy them immediately without hesitation (regardless of price).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are the EGR fenders the same size/shape as OEM flares? They don't look as wide as the ones pictured in the photos I posted. Who else makes an aftermarket fender flare?

·
Registered
682 Posts
The EGR flares are the OEM flares. There are 2 different styles of OEM flares...one is thinner (like the one installed on my blue RAV) and the other is thicker (like the one shown in the other pics).

·
Registered
392 Posts
PerformanceProducts.com offers their own fender flares for 4.1 RAV4's. I don't recall if they pictures on their website but I do recall that they offer their own brand...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sig228, they must have stopped making them recently. I checked about 3 months ago and they were still available...

For the 4.1 RAV4's, there were 2 types of OEM Fender Flares:

Type 1: (Reference the 3rd photo that sean18mb posted in this thread) These were the ones that were available on 4WD RAV4's with the AY package. These fender flares were only available with the AY package and were factory installed. They cannot be installed on any 4.1 RAV4 that didn't have the AY package (there has to be factory pre-made holes in the fenders for the fender flares to be installed properly) In addition, Toyota had a separate type of mudguards that can be installed on both front and rear with this type of fender flares.

Type 2: (Reference the 1st and 2nd photo that sean18mb posted in this thread) These were available as a add-on factory accessory installed by the dealer (or by the consumer). They don't have rubber gaskets to prevent scratching where the fender flares contact the paint on your fenders. They require drilling of 4 holes in the rear fenders for the rear fender flares to be installed properly. In addition, Toyota had made a different type of mudguard (rear only) to work with these fender flares. Also, front mudguards were not made fit with this type of fender flares.

NOTE: These 2 types of OEM fender flares are not cross compatible.

From my understanding, Toyota OEM fender flares vary from market to market, geographically speaking. For North America, the 2 types of OEM fender flares are different than what's available, let's say, in Australia. Toyota had different suppliers for different regions of the world. It's seems that Toyota of Australia uses EGR as the provider and manufacturer of the 4.1 RAV4 fender flares.

I recall seeing a set on Ebay about 4 years ago that was from South America and they had the same exact fender flares available as in North America.

·
Registered
650 Posts
phantomdg,

You've done your homework on the flares!

I see there are a couple of other sites that list the EGR's for the 4.1

·
Registered
392 Posts
One more thing, the Type 2 fender flares that I described above were made by a supplier in Brazil that Toyota chose to supply the 4.1 RAV4 fender flares to both the North and South American markets.

·
Registered
682 Posts
the aussie spec fender flares attach to existing holes in the body (ie. no drilling required) and have a rubber gasket on them which sits between the flare and the car's body. overall i'm very happy with my flares :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Looks good, Mohit!

I wish the Type 2 fender flares that I described above had the rubber gasket that you have on your fender flares...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Are those rubber gaskets (pads) made specifically to be used with fender flares? If so, I'll definitely get them! Please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
650 Posts
phantomdg said:
Are those rubber gaskets (pads) made specifically to be used with fender flares? If so, I'll definitely get them! Please let me know.

Thanks!
Check the link under the pic and read the write up.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts