Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the rav4 hybrid still have a standard 12V battery that the accessories etc. run off of, or is there a step down converter from the hybrid system battery for that?
If there is a standard battery, how does it stay charged when the car isn't running most of the time?

Sitting in rush hour traffic the other day it took us half an hour in our gas model to travel a few blocks. I'm just curious how it, if there is a standard battery in the hybrid, would handle half an hour with lights on, wipers going and stereo turned and no alternator re-charging?

EDIT: Another question.....how does the a/c work when the engine isn't running? Lets say it's a hot day and car has been sitting for a while. I want to get in "start" the car and have the a/c come on. How does that happen if the engine isn't turning the compressor? Or does the engine run all the time when a/c is on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm only speaking from my personal experience, but even in traffic, if the battery reaches a low enough level, the gas engine kicks on automatically. This has happened to me a few times.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Does the rav4 hybrid still have a standard 12V battery that the accessories etc. run off of, or is there a step down converter from the hybrid system battery for that?
If there is a standard battery, how does it stay charged when the car isn't running most of the time?
Yes, there's a 12v system and small 12v battery. It is continuously charged by the hybrid system. They only real function it has is to boot the system when you start it, and of course to run lights and acc when the system is off.

Sitting in rush hour traffic the other day it took us half an hour in our gas model to travel a few blocks. I'm just curious how it, if there is a standard battery in the hybrid, would handle half an hour with lights on, wipers going and stereo turned and no alternator re-charging?
The entire hybrid system and traction battery act as your "alternator". Pretty much all systems run at low voltage, with only the traction motors and battery using higher voltage.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. That helps a lot.
I edited in this other question but figured I'd repost it down here too.

Another question.....how does the a/c work when the engine isn't running? Lets say it's a hot day and car has been sitting for a while. I want to get in "start" the car and have the a/c come on. How does that happen if the engine isn't turning the compressor? Or like my other scenario where you may be sitting in a long line of traffic without the engine running. Or does the engine run all the time when a/c is on?

·
Registered
124 Posts
If this is your first hybrid, you're going to be amazed at how different typical mechanical and electrical systems are when compared to a conventional vehicle. For example there's no engine driven alternator or air conditioner. They are both electrically operated off the hybrid synergy drive. So less stuff to wear out. Brakes are conventional but they're operated in conjunction with the electric motor/generators to apply most of your braking at moderate speeds and pedal applications by regenerative braking like a railroad engine. Instead of using the friction brakes to waste kinetic energy as heat, the motors generate electricity which charges the hybrid battery.

Once you get familiar with how the hybrid powertrain works, you'll never go back.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. It's so tempting to get a hybrid but I've got that angel/devil on my shoulders thing going on. On one hand, I have a perfectly good 2014 xle that's almost paid off. Then I'd be payment free. OR, I can upgrade to a limited hybrid which would be totally awesome but stuck with probably $20,000 loan again. Not to mention I'm not sure how worthwhile the hybrid will be where I live when it can be -35 degrees C for months at a time in the winter.
I think I'd be totally stupid to do it and I know that. I'm not known to shy away from doing stupid things though. Hmmm....

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I think I'd be totally stupid to do it and I know that. I'm not known to shy away from doing stupid things though. Hmmm....
There's nothing stupid about buying a new car on a whim, we all do it.
Don't buy it to save money (you won't). Buy it because is a newer and better made car with improved safety, and because its just a real cool ride.
Go drive a couple, but be prepared to love them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Not stupid but certainly not financially prudent. A better option would be pay off your current loan and then keep making the payments to an account to build a down payment for a newer Rav4 in a year or so.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not stupid but certainly not financially prudent. A better option would be pay off your current loan and then keep making the payments to an account to build a down payment for a newer Rav4 in a year or so.
Well, my current rav would be the down payment in for trade. But yeah, of course having mine FULLY paid off and having more to add would be beneficial.
What sucks is, I have remote start in mine, tint, Sub and amp etc that I would have to do over again.

I just keep tossing around the idea. Mostly cause I just really really want one. But of course keeping mine and driving it into the ground is the smartest financial option.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. It's so tempting to get a hybrid but I've got that angel/devil on my shoulders thing going on. On one hand, I have a perfectly good 2014 xle that's almost paid off. Then I'd be payment free. OR, I can upgrade to a limited hybrid which would be totally awesome but stuck with probably $20,000 loan again. Not to mention I'm not sure how worthwhile the hybrid will be where I live when it can be -35 degrees C for months at a time in the winter.
I hear you....I've been mulling over the same thing for a while. My 2014 Limited will be paid off in another year. My main reason for thinking about this is that I do not like the way the transmission shifts at highway speeds. I would think the CVT would be a much smoother transmission and the extra power and economy would be a bonus.

I'm afraid to test drive one for fear that I will like it too much, but I guess should soon. Another bonus would be that mine will need a new set of tires by the end of the summer and will be out of warranty soon

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. Stupid Toyota reliability. My wife says she's even ok with me upgrading, since we keep our cars and money separate other than joint expenses. But I get the impression it's one of those situations where "sure it's fine" actually means "you are a moron and I'll be secretly pissed if you do it". Lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently dealt with the same situation although my trade-in was a 2006 Sienna. My wife was wondering "why now, there are other things going on". It was just a good time for me and I'm happy with the decision. I figure between the Toyota reliability and the Toyota Hybrid technology and reduced wear item replacement from it this vehicle should be good for me for a bunch of years (8-10+). Even with gas prices as low as they are I figure I'm saving $50 a month vs. the Sienna. What are the chances gas prices stay this low for the life of my 2016 RAV4 Hybrid. I'm thinking I'll be ahead in the end and happy the whole time.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Don't go buying the RAV4 Hybrid only for the hybrid synergy drive technology (i.e. buying the XLE). Your gasoline prices in MB is slightly cheaper than here in GTA/Toronto so break even point is slightly longer and you have an almost fully paid for car.

Upgrade to the Hybrid if you want the Toyota Safety Sense package (in the tech package) for slightly more piece of mind for household members who may not be as experienced as you but I read that for 2017 models, most will Toyota's will come with the collision mitigation braking system, which seems to be the most useful safety technology of them all.

For the safety features, the nice things to have are the automatic emergency braking, blind spot monitors, and parking assist/sensors as my wife parks her RAV4 in the garage and there's but eight inches (front and back of the car) of clearance space and the sensors do help a lot (nice to be in EV mode though while in the garage. The bird's eye view is also helpful when backing into parking spots. I don't care much about the radar cruise control or the crappy JBL sound package though.

Not sure what new technology car makers are going to come up with to persuade me to upgrade except for an automatic emergency acceleration system (in conjunction with the automatic emergency braking system) if the rear sensors detect the possibility of getting rear ended.

If Toyota pursue's electric vehicles in the next few years, I may ask for my Tesla Model 3 reservation deposit back and go with an uglier but potentially a lot more reliable Toyota EV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Price point of view, using Costco's Auto Buying program, the prices were very close - Regular RAV4 XLE AWD W/Convenience Package was $27700 v/s RAV4 XLE AWD Hybrid w/Convenience Package $28600 - so $900/- is not bad at all. - Go HYBRID, YOU WON'T REGRET. I got 468 miles on my first tank of Gas which can hold only 12.5 Gallons (unlike my 2010 HONDA ODYSSEY Which gives me 280 ~ 300 MILES / 17 gallon Tank. in the CITY

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmm, ok - so I got about 31.62...

I'll see how it measures up on the second fill :laugh

I'm a bit surprised that I was almost at the "E" and It stopped off at only 12.5 gallons.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
From previous reports there are about 2-3 gallons left in the tank when the gauge is at E, fuel tank capacity is on page 596 of the owner's manual(pdf version). It doesn't really matter what the tank capacity is, for accurate MPG the amount of miles driven and fuel used at refill are used, preferably at the same pump each time since using different pumps and at different locations can change the refill level, then all refills averaged over multiple fill-ups. When I refill I only let the pump shut off once, I don't top off, overfilling can cause problems with the evap emissions system.

FYI: Be sure to read the manual on running out of gas, it's something you don't want to do with a Hybrid, it may require towing to the dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
■Running out of fuel
When the vehicle has run out of fuel and the hybrid system cannot be started,
refuel the vehicle with at least enough gasoline to make the low fuel level
warning light (P. 537) go off.
If there is only a small amount of fuel, the
hybrid system may not be able to start. (The standard amount of fuel is about
2.7 gal. [10.1 L, 2.2 Imp.gal.], when the vehicle is on a level surface. This
value may vary when the vehicle is on a slope. Add extra fuel when the vehicle
is inclined.)

I'm I missing the part about towing to the dealer somewhere else?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts