Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think I was actually going to start it today. Started out as 3 of those foam blocks from Michaels:

First I cut it roughly in the shape I wanted, was planning on test fitting but the headlight was in the way, so I took it out for the night.
Then I started sanding it down, making it rounded towards the top and making a rectangle at the mouth of the scoop. It took a while to get the shape right. It took even longer to get it to fit in without the headlight hitting it when I placed it in. But finally I got it, I ended up sticking the extra piece of intake over the end to make a perfect 3" circle.
Last, before I started fiberglassing, I wrapped it in plastic so my intake piece wont get ruined, and to slope it instead of a sharp cutoff right after the piece.
As of right now, this is where its at, about 15 minutes of drying when picture was taken, tomorrow it should be rock hard. All I'll have to do is add 2 more layers to the mouth part. This went ALOT smoother than I thought, just very time consuming.

I'll post pics on the progress.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Looks great, nice work. :D

Maybe you can use the existing mounting points of the metal trim that goes under the headlight? You would need to fashion a tab to be inserted into that hole and the other side can be screwed in, just like the factory trim piece.

Oh yeah, paint it the factory color with some clear coat; and it will look like OEM. :D Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm excited to see the progress and see it fitted on the car! I finally got around to taking off that small piece from under the headlight, and I drove wtih it off last night just to see if there was a difference.

If you peek through the slit, you can see the filter, so I've been thinking of ways to build a scoop through that area. I don't know anything about fiberglass so I was gonna wander Home Depot and see if I could find anything suitable to fabricate it with.

Good luck!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still no updates yet. One thing I didn't even think of was the plastic. Instead of absorbing all the extra resin I used, it just sat there until it could harden from the air. My friend is goign to let me borrow his dremel after I finish to make it nice and smooth :D . I guess I'll finish fiberglassing today, have to get a new measuring cup first though. :D

I'll update tonight

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put 3 more layers on and I didn't use extra resin so its already dry. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up my friends dremel, by then it should be even harder. Its firm enough to where you can squeeze it with it only giving in a little.
Total theres only 5-6 layers depending on the area, bigger things would get more layers. I'll take pictures before and after I shave it down. The only parts I plan on sanding on the body of the scoop is the parts sticking out, there are some stray fibers. The dremel is for making the edges flat mostly. I'm not sure if I'll paint it or not, it should look pretty cool just as fiberglass :wink:

Edit: Went outside and measured it up, since the end is 3" diameter, that would be 9.42 in2 and the mouth is 11.5" x 1.5" roughly (it wasn't a perfect rectangle, I left it bigger where I could fit more area in at, and smaller where I had to just squeeze through). That works out to 17.25 in2, a little less than twice the amount of area :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here it is!

Taking the extra part of the intake tube out was probably the hardest part, had to use pliers. but after that the foam popped right out, didn't mess up either. I was afraid the plastic would be stuck good and I would have to sand it off, but most of it peeled right off, it did leave the colors of the bag though (Note: use PLAIN bag).

Tomorrow I'm going to give it a good sanding. The inside some of the edges of the fiberglass sheet frayed and hardened, fixed with the dremel. That thing is CRAZY. My friend, when showing me what it could do, cut the metal off of a screwdriver. Anyways, It cut pretty good, and I'm very happy with the results. After the smoothing I'll be even happier. I might or might not paint it, I need to make sure everything fits nice and snug and figure out how I'm going to hold it in place before I decide anything on paint. I might also need to cut the top more at an angle so I dont block air :p

The area of the mouth is 17" over the regular 9". I guess with more air I need more fuel right? Would the ECU balance them out? I also need a sleeve to put over the ends of the filter and my scoop.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK its painted! I decided to also paint the mesh underneath my headlight while I was at it. Smoothing the inside was a pain, so its a little rough in there. As for coating it with something, I originally thought of that "plastidip" stuff from Lowes or HomeDepot, but it woudl be hard to apply it. I can always do that later if I want. It would be alot smoother and would look alot better, but hardly anybody will actually see this, besides you guys.

Primer:

Done!:

Not too shabby for a first completed fiberglass project 8)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great news, after many hours thinking how to apply the plastidip, I figured it out. But then I went to Lowes and PlastiDip has a spray version! It was also $3 cheaper. So I'm in the middle of spraying it, after one coat it already is looking smoother, I'll post hi res pics when its done (all the others have been with my phone).

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Looks great... report to us on performance gains. I had the impression that the scoop opening would be closer towards the outside body directly between the headlight and bumper. It appears that it is actually underneath the headlight. It should work all the same though.

What you might want to do is install everything in place then get a large fan and blow it directly at the front of your car. Place your hand near the exit of your scoop and see how much air is flowing through to your intake.

I performed this method to my underbumper scoop and it worked awesome. I got a lot of cool air blowing straight through to my enshrouded intake. :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
What was the point exactly, of going through the trouble of making the scoop if you're putting into the fender area? What gains will the "fanned-out" part make? I just installed a 3" pipe for added air flow vs. the stock 1 3/4 in the same area for 10 bucks.

In the beginning I thought you were planning on having it go to the outside somewhere. :?: Oh well, hope it works out for you. Great job on making it though, I know things like that are tedious to do. Hats off!

Later. M.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, theres a reason I put it pretty far back...water :evil: I live in florida where we get random rain storms or it will rain for a couple days straight. I figured if its close, the water that lands on the top of the bumper will slide right into the scoop, and would have nowhere else to go besides the filter, then my engine. This way the water will fall down, where the air will keep on going.

I went through the trouble of making it more out of boredom and wanting to try making something. The flared out area is almost the same width as the headlight, and more than an inch tall, so theres almost twice the amount of airflow, and with it all going into the scoop and its sealed off, its forced to go straight to the engine, nice cool air from outside.

I dont have any large fans :? But it sounds like a good idea. I actually electrial taped it to the filter pod to seal it, so if I can get my hands on a big fan I'll test it out. I haven't driven around that much in it, only went out for a little bit tonight, but I'll let you know in the next couple of days. The sucking noise the intake gives is only audible through the mesh now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts