Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it just me or is it a pain in the ass to fill up gas in the rav
the nozzle doesn't sit right...i have to hold it a little more up and i can't squeeze all the way or it will click no matter what gas station i fill up at

does my rav have a bent fuel tank pipe or are they all the same?

·
Registered
986 Posts
With my Rav, I insert the nozzle all the way, and then pull it out a little bit and let it sit. If you put the nozzle in all the way it will constantly click. Works for me...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I haven't had any problems with either of mine or the boss's '97.
I fill up every morning at the fastest it will pump. Some cars that are the same make and model fill up different than each other, strange isn't it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes, I have the same problem that you described. :cry: I've filled up gas with many different cars I've owned over the years, and this one is the most difficult. I've even recently had gas overflow from the nozzle onto my RAV and leg. :shock: I am sure the problem is not with me; I've filled up thousands of tanks full of gas. Maybe it is a design flaw :?:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i thought it was just my problem

i'm gonna try Jeff's solution
thnx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have exactly the same problem with our 95 RAV. Our Vitara isn't much better either, but you can get the nozzle further in and fill up at a more reasonable pace but on either you wouldn't dare rely on the pumps auto cut-off.

Not sure if the problem is with the design of the vehicle or of the fuel pump nozzles. Perhaps Toyota didn't do enough research or the pump nozzles are changing.

Mikey

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 99 does the same thing, I like to hook the gas cap into handle while pumping so that I can go up front and clean the windshield, unfortunetly because of the gas pump not always shutting off it is not possible :cry:

Oh Well a small price to pay

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've had a similar issue with my 1998 RAV4. I learned that the first 24 months that the pump will stop once it's "full". But that's not the case. I would have to pump in another $3-$4 to make sure that the tank is topped-off, meaning that it's really full.

I once asked about this problem with one of the Toyota dealerships in Southern California. What they told me is the RAV4, much like some of the Camrys, have a design in the tank that when you fill it with gas, the fumes build up enough to tell the pump to turn off early than expected (making the consumer think that they have filled the tank to the "full" level.

After hearing this information, that's when I experimented at the pump by testing how much more gas I can put in before it spills over. After a dozen tries at the pump (and yes that includes spilling over a few times), I've concluded that I can add another $3 to $4 (sometimes more) to make sure my tank is full!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thing is, nowadays with gas near $2.50 a gallon in the States, most pumps I've used have slowed the flow of fuel through the pump...guess they didn't want to give drivers a coronary seeing all those little $$$ flash by so fast!

But, if it's pumping slower, you should be able to get more gas in your tank before it cuts off...slower fume buildup, I would guess.

·
Registered
542 Posts
hmmmm... come to think of it, i've never had this problem.. i just watch the gas boy fill it for me & wash the windows at the same time.. they even washed the whole car once when i got a full tank!!

it's nice to have "service".. they don't even let you try to fill up yourself..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me it depends on the station. I do consistently have the problem described above about the gas fumes (I just thought my needle was broken). But, at certain stations It clicks constantly unless I seat it a little shallower. There seems to be a differece in spouts on certain ones. I have the constantly clicking with all japanese built cars I have owned (1990 Maxima, 1993 Camry, and the current, 1998 Rav4). Haven't done it yet to any of my parents domestic SUVs though. Sometimes I think it may be more the design of the pump than the car though. That or they just hate me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I get the same problem if i put the nozzle the whoe way in.

Like someone said, put it all tyhe way in, then bring it back a bit so it rests on the fule filler pipe..........cures the problem

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I've read, this is sort of a design flaw, but not exactly. Supposedly, the gas tank's shaped like an upside-down U, over/around the axle. Probably, the issue is that, if the nozzle isn't in there just perfect, one side fills up faster than the other, and gas has to flow over into the other side to fill it up... past the nozzle.

That'd mean that a higher flow rate from the nozzle would splash more up to the cutoff point as it moved past the end of the nozzle. Meanwhile, a lower flow rate wouldn't stir up the gas as much as it was being poured. The same goes for reseating the nozzle within the fill tube, since the same problem would occur as with fast filling, but without the nozzle being in the way.

I always top mine off manually anyway, regardless of where the automatic shutoff turns on, so it's not a problem for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts