Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was disappointed with the materials and feel of the steering wheel on my Rav, so I looked into leather covers. I had used Wheelskins in the past, but never liked how they didn't play well with wide spoke steering wheels. I found this little gem on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4FKH6D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just got around to installing it today, since it was below 90 degrees for the first time in months! Was pretty labor intensive, but fairly straightforward. A little bunching around the spokes, but at a glance looks great. I'm going to like the feel of this MUCH better than the original!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
That's beautiful! It looks way better than the factory leather wheel on mine!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Looks great! I hated the plastic steering wheel in my 14 xle. I had a leather cover as well but nothing even close to that nice and well fitting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks great and better the oe one in my 2015 XLE.....Did you remove the plastic infotainment pieces from the wheel for the install?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great and better the oe one in my 2015 XLE.....Did you remove the plastic infotainment pieces from the wheel for the install?
No, I didn't...the kit comes with a crevice tool for shoving the leather bits in. Worked pretty well, just have to do it carefully, so that you don't tear the leather.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thumb up!! No wrinkle and very nice looking pattern.

Reactions: FramerKat

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, looks awesome. I wish I would have seen this before buying a cover. I bought this one for my wife's Rav4
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0714N86WC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looks good for a cover but I really like the oem look on yours. Looks great!
I tried one like that, but it just made the steering wheel too thick for me. So I figured some sort of leather "skin" was the way to go for me. I had no idea that there were such custom covers out there until I looked for this one though!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow, the color match & pattern looks like a factory-fit item which is nice.

Thinking of getting one for the RAV4.2 now that they've got a pattern for it (The vinyl coating on the spokes of my wheel had worn off from wear & tear too.). Still deciding between the genuine (Link here.) & artificial leather (Link here.) covers.

Few questions;

1. How long did it take to install... Err... Stitch it together?
2. As someone without any experience with sewing, is it still doable as a DIY?
3. The leather steering kits I looked at come with double sided tape. Did yours come with & did you have to use it?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Thinking of getting one for the RAV4.2 now that they've got a pattern for it (The vinyl coating on the spokes of my wheel had worn off from wear & tear too.). Still deciding between the genuine (Link here.) & artificial leather (Link here.) covers.
I've found that some of the artificial leather (sometimes called PU leather (PolyUrethane)) is really PU, in other words it stinks! It may eventually go away, but the PU tablet cases I ordered years ago still have that funky smell.

·
Registered
422 Posts
FramerKat: do you have loose material on the back of the spokes at 3 and 9 oclock?

Mine is near perfect but its not tight behind the spokes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FramerKat: do you have loose material on the back of the spokes at 3 and 9 oclock?

Mine is near perfect but its not tight behind the spokes.
Yup, it's a bit loose back there...I think just because the shape dips in those sections. I don't know if there would be a way to make it follow that contour. It bugs me a bit because I feel it while I'm driving, but I'm sure no one else would really notice. :wink

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, wanted to update as to the wearability after three months. I'm still loving this cover...it feels great and is such an improvement over the plastic steering wheel. It originally had a matte finish, which is worn to a bit of a sheen...which I figured would be the case. The ripples that I had originally noted from my installation have somewhat flattened...it's hardly even noticeable now that it's not an oem steering wheel.

2014 Toyota Rav4 custom leather steering wheel cover from Amazon by Kat, on Flickr

20180302_151330 by Kat, on Flickr

20180302_151317 by Kat, on Flickr

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sorry Toyota Freak, I totally missed your questions on this!

Few questions;

1. How long did it take to install... Err... Stitch it together?
2. As someone without any experience with sewing, is it still doable as a DIY?
3. The leather steering kits I looked at come with double sided tape. Did yours come with & did you have to use it?
1. I believe it took me about an hour if I recall correctly to get this stitched on.
2. I would say it's very doable if you have any hands on/creative type skills.
3. This came with the double sided tape which in hindsight I think would have been good to use if only to place the cover properly and keep it from shifting as I stitched it on (I didn't use any). As it was, I think it stretched/distorted a bit and I ended up a tad off center as you can see by the top seams on the left and right sides.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts