Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The paint on my RAV4 was terrible! Plus my wife doesn't like green. This is 2014 Hyundai purplely/blue:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I used a product called "Showroom New", which is no longer available. I have read that "Wipe New" is very similar to it, but I never used it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Great looking vehicle. Great paint job but why use Hyundai paint code when this RAV also came with this exact paint color. Doesn't matter I guess.

Did you paint in your own garage?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because it was wife's choice :). The color is actually different from RAV4 colors.

I prepped the car, but then had it painted at Maaco, their spray job is good, but prep work is terrible. So I have a system in place where I prep and they spray ;).

It isn't a $5000 paint job, but then, who would put a $5000 paint job on a $3000 car?

·
Registered
412 Posts
So how much did it cost you at the end if you don't mind me asking?

It looks really good.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Looks great, looks like you did an excellent prep. I've heard that before about Maaco.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maaco two stage paint job (base coat/clear coat), is around $1000. You save them some prep work by doing it yourself, but do not expect a discount, in fact, they tend to be a bit insulted by it (tough).

However, do not, for a second, think that I am endorsing Maaco paintjobs! If you have them do everything, your car will look the same from 15-20 feet away, but under 5 feet it will be UGLY and unmistakably "Maaco paintjob"!

Reactions: eodgator

·
Registered
731 Posts
I like how the "before" picture is well lit and in broad daylight
while the "after" picture is dark and overcast.
You don't understand - the new paint is taking the brilliance away from the sun!

:smile

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 16 year old is quite a photographer, he will not take "good pictures" in full sun, as it "ruins the shot". It is pretty obvious who took which photo :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts