Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the dealer performed the latest oil change and inspection, their battery load test report showed my CCA at 405 for the 585 CCA rated battery. This is the original battery with 84,205 miles and about 5-1/4 years old. I had no symptoms of low battery power but I decided to change it anyway....I miss doing stuff to my car. According to Consumer Reports the Everstart Maxx battery is the highest rated for SUV/Truck category so I picked one up at Wal-Mart, $104.95.

Installed:

Tom

Reactions: JuneBug

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Wow, you got over 5 years from the original battery on a V6? Most of us only get about 2-3 years.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, you got over 5 years from the original battery on a V6? Most of us only get about 2-3 years.

Yep. I checked the water/acid level religiously and add distilled water as needed. I do a lot of highway driving and average 15k total miles/year. It's our only car so it sees a lot of city driving too. The original battery was starting the car ok but I was just being proactive. I used my new ChargeIt! portable battery to connect to the battery cables while changing the battery so I wouldn't loose any memory settings. Worked like a charm.

Tom

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is what I used to keep my car computer memory powered while I replaced my battery. It's a battery powered jump starter.

Tom

·
Registered
8,524 Posts

5 1/2 years on my OEM battery so far and it passes load tests with no problem. Maybe it's living on borrowed time but as long as it continues to pass load tests I'll otherwise leave it alone . . . .

:smile

·
Registered
268 Posts
My Rav had its third anniversary on Jan. 9th, still on original battery.

We've had some real cold weather and it starts right away.

After everything I've read here, and my experience with my 2008 Rav, I pay a lot of attention to the starting on a cold morning.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think my battery has seen it's days. It was -11C this morning and I couldn't get the engine to turn over, had to pull out the boost cables. It's been 5 years for the oem battery, guess I'll get the Maxx Everstart from walmart too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
looks like my battery was replaced recently, but i'll probably try a yellowtop myself once this one goes

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like my battery was replaced recently, but i'll probably try a yellowtop myself once this one goes
I put a red top Optima in my long gone 1998, V6 Caravan and it lasted one month short of 8 years before it failed suddenly.

Optimas are very high quality.

Tom

·
Registered
263 Posts
:thumbup: I'm thinking the deep discharge is more appropriate for our cars that have more than average electrical things running

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
I put a red top Optima in my long gone 1998, V6 Caravan and it lasted one month short of 8 years before it failed suddenly.

Optimas are very high quality.
Not my experience. Put a Yellow-top in my Accord hoping it would last more than the 2 years I was getting from conventional batteries, especially since it doesn't start the engine, the hybrid battery does. Didn't happen. Have had to keep a charger on it overnight for the last couple months and use a battery boost pack several times. Had to call the wife with the RAV4 & jumper cables once. Just sent it back under the 3-year free replacement but didn't put the new one back in the Accord. Will probably use it in the dyno somewhere taking advantage of the any-position feature.

Anyway, if you still want one the best price I found was here: www.streetsideauto.com

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not my experience. Put a Yellow-top in my Accord hoping it would last more than the 2 years I was getting from conventional batteries, especially since it doesn't start the engine, the hybrid battery does. Didn't happen. Have had to keep a charger on it overnight for the last couple months and use a battery boost pack several times. Had to call the wife with the RAV4 & jumper cables once. Just sent it back under the 3-year free replacement but didn't put the new one back in the Accord. Will probably use it in the dyno somewhere taking advantage of the any-position feature.

Anyway, if you still want one the best price I found was here: www.streetsideauto.com
Get yourself the ChargeIt! device I posted about previously. You will never need another vehicle to jump start your car. $50-$70 at Amazon.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Get yourself the ChargeIt! device I posted about previously.
I have a similar unit made by Stanley. I just used it too many times w/o recharging it so it didn't have enough left the time the RAV4 had to come to the rescue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just did replaced mine (Furukawa) V6 2008, 117000km with with Everstart, hope it will last another 8 years ! :)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
I just did replaced mine (Furukawa) V6 2008, 117000km with with Everstart, hope it will last another 8 years ! :)
It sounds like the Furukawa likes the cold of Quebec better than the summer heat of S. Louisiana!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts