Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

driving at home tonight I found this to be one of the most amazing automobiles I have ever driven. It is really that well buttoned-down. The ride is incredibly smooth for an SUV and I have driven almost every one. (Japanese that is) the power is absolutely prodigious, the V-6 has more power than this vehicle could ever use. note the running boards. The dealer ended up throwing those in. I may be working with him to produce a deal for the members on this board.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I had posted earlier, I felt the dealer wasn't shooting strait with me when he stated he was selling it to me for $500 over invoice. So on D-Day I confront him. I told him if I multiply .92 X $24, 838 I get.... he interupts me and says" the retail of this unit is $25,338! So 5 days earlier I had checked the invenory of some East dealer and saw these cool looking running boards. They were also about $500 and when the dealer told me that this is what accounted for the difference in price I almost leaped out of my chair! according to the invoice I have, the running boards were added by GulfStates Toyota Inc. They are a port option which was added to the vehicle after it came to North America. I'm sure in the very near future you will be able to get them at the Toyota dealer. there is also aimed other type of running board which is tubular and made out of stainless steel. I believe the option designation for that one D-1. :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First (approximate since I don't know how many miles it had on it when the dealer filled up) MPG = 18.5 about 90% city. Friday we take a hwy trip and I will report on that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A birdie pooped on my window!

So here is this birdie flying all over the parking lot at Wal-Mart. It’s probably thinking to itself “I know I can hold it until I get to the nearest tree” there should be some very deserving cars there. Then he looks down and sees my vehicle. Wait a minute he says, Isn’t that one of the new Toyota Rav4s? And it is white, so no one will notice.”

He could least waited a week until some of the new wore off. :evil:

When we were leaving a restaurant of lady approached us as we were getting ready to drive off. She asked about my vehicle and a course I gave her the total sales pitch. She owned A BMW X-3. She lamented about the poor ride of her vehicle and was very impressed with mine. I’ve never had that happen to me before.

R

·
0 Posts
Re: A birdie pooped on my window!

Omega Man said:
So here is this birdie flying all over the parking lot at Wal-Mart. It’s probably thinking to itself “I know I can hold it until I get to the nearest tree” there should be some very deserving cars there. Then he looks down and sees my vehicle. Wait a minute he says, Isn’t that one of the new Toyota Rav4s? And it is white, so no one will notice.”

When we were leaving a restaurant of lady approached us as we were getting ready to drive off. She asked about my vehicle and a course I gave her the total sales pitch. She owned A BMW X-3. She lamented about the poor ride of her vehicle and was very impressed with mine. I’ve never had that happen to me before.
Congratulations on your new purchase!!...looks VERY nice!!

My RAV has been christened more than a few times already. The bad part of not having a garage, and living and working near an area known as "Birdville."

We have had some heads turn looking at the RAV...but, nobody has approached us...how neat that you did!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cool,
I learned something today!
You can get a vehicle with individual options spec'ed out...in other words you don't have to take Option package A or B...the Buildatoyota web site implies you have to have one of the option packages.

gimme yours without a couple things, add the tow pkg and I'd be set!

hope you enjoy it!
Joe

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Re: A birdie pooped on my window!

sometimes I hate birds! lol

Omega Man said:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took my first road trip today. I drove from Oklahoma City to McAllister Oklahoma. I visited a friend of mine there who owns a jewelry store, so my wife could clear out his display case. I can only say, it helps to have friends :)

It was very windy today and the traffic was pretty heavy on I 40 on the way out. The car handled extremely well, it was never pushed around by the wind. The ride was pretty smooth, except during the patches of broken pavement on parts of the highway that are in need of repair. The handling is great, it is very easy to make lane changes at high speeds. There were times when I was boxed in by a car in the left lane that refused to move over and a car in front of it in the right lane about 100 feet ahead. With the prodigious power available I was able to easily do an S.-maneuver around these vehicles. At one point I passed 5 18 wheeler's lined up in the right lane by barely pressing down on the gas pedal. The speedometer spun up to 85 mph without even downshifting to fourth gear! I filled up when I got back to Oklahoma City and averaged 25.3 miles per gallon based on 270 highway miles and 9 miles in town. When the gas needle gets down to a quarter tank indicated, you still have 5 gallons left.

The ergonomics continue to impress me. The lateral room available in the foot well area is very appreciated. A lot of cars these days have a dead foot platform on the left side and these make me very uncomfortable. I took a nap on the passenger side and the fully reclining position was extremely comfortable.

I would have to rate this as an excellent road car. I've driven literally hundreds of cars in my life as a car salesman (in a previous life) and this is one of the most impressive. I would rated pretty evenly with a Lexus RX 330 that I drove this past summer.

PostScript: I was surprised to see that it appears the seat covers have a zipper on the right rear side and therefore are removable.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Congrats Omega Man!!! And sorry about the little birdie incident... :?

Great to hear about the X3 lady -- that's just too funny!

Great observations! I'm posting some of my own in "my" thread... :wink: Hope too many aren't too repetitive cuz I'd never be able to read all the posts from the past couple months! :shock:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
unbelievable!

I decided to test a strictly in town gas mileage on my RAV4. I drove 121 miles, with only one of those miles being on the highway (this part of the test did not amuse my life, as I had to take her to the airport this morning). I filled up at the same 711 on both occasions. I left my vehicle idling in my driveway and at the 7-11 for a total of 15 minutes. I did not drive carefully or carelessly. When I filled up at the 7-11 the first click came at 4.83 gallons and I pushed it on up to 4.93 gallons or 24.5 miles per gallon in town with a V-6! During that time I have driven I have been pushing it pretty hard and had to break a little suddenly at a couple of yellow light's (I do not run yellow lights). So for the purposes of my testing so far I have gotten 24 1/2 miles per gallon in town and 25 miles per gallon on the highway. Maybe my vehicle has gotten a little bit better broken in or maybe I was pushing it too hard on the highway. It is difficult for me to discount the facts however. But all I can do is get 20 miles per gallon in town and 25 on the highway I will be very satisfied!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts