Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
So I was considering getting another new car around the time my RAV turns 1.

Here is a few things:
It has to be family friendly (equal to or more than the RAV)
Fuel efficiency would be great, but not required
It'd probably be more my wifes car
The quickness is irrelevant, my wife was fine with her Toyota Paseo until 2001!

I'd love to get another rav, but it seems redundant, and boring to buy 2. Also I think the purpose would be to serve in diversifying our family's abilities.

So here is what I've considered, I'm looking for input on these cars, or any other recommendations. The order isn't relavent.

4 Door Tacoma
I like it, my wife likes the look. Mileage is ok, its quick...

Mazda5
The cheap family solution

2007 Tundra
Looks fun but expensive to run, and buy for what I'd want.

Sienna LE
Blah, but hey seating is awesome

Odyssey
Less blah, a lil more sexy

Matrix
Fun but underpowered? I hated driving my moms 06 sentra, i dont want to feel like im driving a peasant car (sorry).

Subaru Outback
I want to love the outback, I have rented them lots and seriously considered them before I bought the RAV, in fact for the week before I bought the rav I was on vacation in the snow and had a Outback. I didn't want to go back to driving my crappy taurus, so the day I brought my Outback back I bought a rav, lol.

Rav4 with third row
Just because It'd be nice to cart around our kids, and our friends.

Civic sedan
Its pretty sleek looking with killer mileage

Prius
But whats the point now that all the carpool stickers are gone? Save the environment, BLAH, 1.5 liters

Camry
The new one looks like DX es350, am i wrong?

I think my serious considerations are the rav4 basic 2x4 with 3rd row... the civic is quick for its mpg... and the tundra

I love the idea of the minivan, but mileage sucks, and it seems so wasteful, like all the chevy tahoes on the road..

By the way, did i mention BIG SUVs AND TRUCKS ARE WASTEFUL UNLESS YOU HAVE A REASON! Thats why i cant get the tundra, plus $$$

But I do like the tacoma, and it makes it nice, to pickup stuff from costco, etc.. Get a slide off cab or something, thatd be sweetness.

Anywho, thoughts?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
If you want a comfortable car for long trips that gets good mileage the Camry's are hard to beat. I have a 97' and I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
JM -
My vote is also for the Camry unless you need the extra room. I love my Outback as a second car, but unless you absolutely need the AWD as we do here in the NE Snow Belt, front will drive will do you fine, and you'll get better mileage.

Here's another alternative - how about a 4 cyl RAV to compliment your V6......that's what I'm considering next time around.
:)

·
Registered
953 Posts
About 2 weeks after purchasing the RAV, my wife needed a new car also and we got her a new Camry SE. Wow, is that thing nice. I would highly recommend the Camry and especially the SE.

D

·
0 Posts
Camry, but check out the Mazda CX7. Roomy, swoopy lines, and not too expensive.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Do you really need the utility of a second truck, van or SUV? A small to midsize car would be more economical, easier to park and maybe more comfortable. Personally I'd rather have a choice of two different types of vehicles instead of two of the same, but that's totally up to you.

I was lucky enough to get a 2007 Camry as a rental for a few days. I thought it would be a boring rental sedan but I actually liked it a lot. It was quiet and comfortable, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good everyday car. The Honda Civic would be a great choice too.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Next car

From the list you've started with IMO the Camry Sedan is the winner. If you can make do with smaller quarters the Civic Sedan is a fine car. The Mazdas are fun but I found them a tad rough around the edges with the attempt to make all their cars more sporting. And, reliability seems to have slipped a tad.

You didn't say what budget you were working with. The 3 Series BMW's would sting a bit but would bring up the zing factor. They are amongst the more reliable of the BMW's out there. And stepping down the list, the Infiniti G35 in front or AWD in a very nice package.

Last, but not least, the newest Hyundai Sonata has been getting good reviews with lots of "stuff" for the price. It's not as economical as the Toyota/Honda sedans but the price is right for a car with a 100,000 warranty.

Ahhhh a potpourri of autos -- so many choices ... so little time :roll:

M

·
0 Posts
Just a thought....

The new 2008 highlander is being called the Rav's bigger sibling.....they look pretty similar too!

·
Registered
239 Posts
We love our '07 Camry V6 XLE.
A lot of car for the money.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I voted for the Camry. That is what my wife currently drives along with my RAV4.

Interesting that you mention the 4 door Tacoma though, that will probably be my next vehicle if I do intend to sell the RAV. Every family needs at least 1 truck as a utility vehicle. There are always opportunities for hauling stuff; and it sure is a pain searching for family and friends to borrow their truck. :lol:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I voted for the Prius, cuz your list didn't include the Corvette. :lol:

/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=3705

We love both of our non-RAV4 vehicles. Although it's a terrific car that gets amazing gas mileage and drives well (with appropriate tires), we don't take the Prius on trips. The RAV4 and the Vette are just too much fun.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the camry, esp the 07, looks a lot like a lexus.

My wife says she doesnt want another sedan after our blah taurus.

The rav is a designated work vehicle, for tax purposes. And I have a 94 Passport I am not going to get rid of.

A g35 is on my list in about 10 years (or whatever the coolest sport sedan is at the time), when I don't have to work in much. Right now the rav is great with the false floor in the back, etc.

So I will get a g35, just maybe 2010 or after.

I think we probably should get a camry, i just have to get my wife behind the wheel of one so that she will change her mind. I hate engine options though, because I know I'll end up with the v6.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh and about the CX-7. Yes nice car, but I would have bought one of those instead of the rav, if I had liked it more than the rav.

It's exterior is more modernly styled than the rav, but I'm just not big on a psudo ford.

The 2008 highlander does look nice, a lot like the santa fe i must say. But I am not really in the market for another SUV, I already have 2.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have 91 max here in Cali, and I just prefer a toyota badge over a mazda, if all things are equal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You need a truck to go with your RAV. Get the incredibly versatile, durable, and smooth running Tacoma and forego the car. Why get a car when you can have a full-fledged 4x4 that gives you the versatility of a truck and enables you to use IT for the tough stuff instead of being forced to use the RAV for those things? It's always nice to have a truck bed handy. Always!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts