Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so has this happened to anyone else? I have a 2004 Rav 4 it was well maintained including oil changes all on time, infact just had one last week. On the way to work yesterday smoke filled the cabin and flames shot out from the hood. Anyone have any stories or info it would be greatly and desperatly appreciated. Especially since Toyota wanted nothing to do with me.

·
Registered
881 Posts
patty said:
Okay, so has this happened to anyone else? I have a 2004 RAV 4 it was well maintained including oil changes all on time, infact just had one last week. On the way to work yesterday smoke filled the cabin and flames shot out from the hood. Anyone have any stories or info it would be greatly and desperatly appreciated. Especially since Toyota wanted nothing to do with me.
Where do you get yor oil changes done? Most comon cause of fire is leaking oil from the filter area.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe it or not at the Toyota dealership service center I have free oil changes. It smelled like an electrical fire though does that sense? Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
881 Posts
patty said:
Believe it or not at the Toyota dealership service center I have free oil changes. It smelled like an electrical fire though does that sense? Thank you for your response.
Well it's a 2004 so obviously it is under warranty unless you've fitted a HID light system or other aftermarket part that is known to cause fires.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I am surprised that Toyota did not want anything to do with you after an engine fire on such a new Toyota. Shouldn't that be covered under warranty? Also, this is the first time I've heard it happening on such a new Toyota; especially a RAV4. :cry:

Have you opened under the hood and tried to locate the source of the fire? This would appear to be a major liablility for Toyota if you can prove that their workmanship was at fault. Good luck with solving your problem. Let us know how it turns out. :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure

I am pretty sure one of those moran's working on your car did something intentionally or Unintentionally causing some chain reaction and causing the fire. May be that is why Toyota wants to have nothing to do with it. Something was monkeyed around with in there. I am sure of it.

I have seen mechanics work when I used to go to NON-Toyota mechanics and they did things that were so stupid. CARELESSNESS is very common. Even at Toyota, I have one mechanic that I always take my cars for maintenance.

I am really sorry to hear about your problem and again I am sure something was screwed around with in there. You will probably never know.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I am pretty sure one of those moran's working on your car did something intentionally or Unintentionally causing some chain reaction and causing the fire. May be that is why Toyota wants to have nothing to do with it. Something was monkeyed around with in there. I am sure of it.
Hmmm... maybe the guy who did the oil change wasn't in a good mood and since it's free, he didn't really care. Who knows :?.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fire

They usually leave an old oily rag sitting on the exhaust manifold which ignites when you drive away.

Brian

·
Registered
875 Posts
wow, time to find a new place to get your maintenance done. This fire thing seems like a HUGE deal. So what's happened? Mine clueing us in on where you are now and how thigns are going with the rav4?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honda CR-V has past problems with engine fires caused by improper oil changes from double gaskets on the oil filter. Oil leaked down against the hot exhaust. Maybe you should contact NHTSA and file a report or even contact a lawyer if all else fails. A new car should not catch fire and someone can be killed from a car fire.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope this is not going to develop a pattern like CR-V.....Since you did the oil change at dealership, they should be liable if it was caused by oil change.

Hmmm....I just did my oil change at Wal-Mart....I may from now on take my car to dealership to do the oil change :roll: .

·
Registered
48 Posts
patty said:
Okay, so has this happened to anyone else? I have a 2004 RAV 4 it was well maintained including oil changes all on time, infact just had one last week. On the way to work yesterday smoke filled the cabin and flames shot out from the hood. Anyone have any stories or info it would be greatly and desperatly appreciated. Especially since Toyota wanted nothing to do with me.
If the car is under warranty and you haven't modified a thing in any way and have taken the vehicle to the same stealership that you bought it from I would inform them that they will be hearing from your lawyer.

Ask to be put in touch with their tech line or district manager or something to that extent. Every company has different names, but it is a representative from the car company, namely toyota, that would come to verify a warranty problem on your vehicle.

Along with threatening to get a lawyer, I would get a lawyer just so the dealership and toyota knows you are not going to get pushed around. Simply if you have not touched the car mechaincally or electrically in anyway, then it is the companies fault. It is either an error in workmanship upon assembly or a mistake due to repair. Either way you are not at fault. Either the dealership needs to give you a new vehicle (they have insurance for this kind of stuff, so its not like its coming out of their pocket) or Toyota needs to give you a new vehicle.

If they do not want to comply I would take them to court, and in addition sue for endangerment to your life in addition to mental anguish and time lost from work, pay due to not being able to get to work, dealing with this problem etc.

You have to play hardball with big companies otherwise they will ignore you until the problem goes away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts