Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on getting some of these. I believe that the inner rear tire wear on my car is due to carrying load. The rear alignment toes out when the suspension sags. I might be taking a trip with 5 adults and gear for a couple of days and do not want to kill my tires.

I am searched and read almost every thread on this topic. My question where do people mount their air valves. One says he mounts them inside his gas door. Any other suggestions?

I run similar airbags on my truck and am well versed in their application. Just curious where a good place to mount the valves.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I installed mine in the floor compartment, with both sided connected together, then a pressure gauge with the fill valve after that, that way I always know how much pressure there is.

Reactions: MrPulldown

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed mine in the floor compartment, with both sided connected together, then a pressure gauge with the fill valve after that, that way I always know how much pressure there is.
I have 3rd row seats that fit into the compartment. but I think there is extra space. I will look into it.

i think that I might tie the R/L together too. I found that on my truck this is a bad idea for 4 wheeling as the downhill side will experience sudden loss of spring rate.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another question for those that have installed the bag. Etrailer shows this as the preferred routing for the air line. Seriously. Can I tuck the line inside the lower control arm, or does it need to make that gradual loop to avoid kinking. That line will get ripped off in no time.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
on mine, I routed them down and to the rear tied with zip ties to the arm, not enough room to route them directly to the side.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
on mine, I routed them down and to the rear tied with zip ties to the arm, not enough room to route them directly to the side.
Thanks. I would really like to tuck that hose in a safe location. Though I don't wheel the RAV very hard, there are plently of times when I am driving over brush or compacted snow (berms). Need it not to catch on anything.

I am receiving my bags today and will try to get them installed tonight. I will be heading up to Nakusp BC and will have 5 people and gear.

Another question how did you go route the hose into the cabin. Did you find a plug/grommet or did you drill a hole.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
lots of snow and ice where I live, and didn't have any problems yet ;-)

there are a couple of grommets in the back of the trunk, I just used the one in the middle

·
Registered
2 Posts
bear with me but how do you know how much air pressure is necessary? Also do you adjust air pressure from towing / not? Also how bad is the install assuming i don't have a lift or more than a few jacks/jackstands. Is this a good solution to help improve towing? We have an extremely lightweight camper but at times it can start bouncing and almost make you sea sick if the road is bad.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
bear with me but how do you know how much air pressure is necessary? Also do you adjust air pressure from towing / not? Also how bad is the install assuming i don't have a lift or more than a few jacks/jackstands. Is this a good solution to help improve towing? We have an extremely lightweight camper but at times it can start bouncing and almost make you sea sick if the road is bad.
I put 5psi when not loaded, and anywhere from 20 to 35psi when towing.

the hard part of the install is getting the bags in the springs, on one side I was able to slide it in, on the other I actually had to undo a suspension bolt to get more room.

what is the tongue weight of your trailer, if the weight is too light (<10% of trailer weight) it will bounce more easily.

Reactions: philliphair
1 - 12 of 12 Posts