Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is addressed elsewhere, I apologize and ask for the link, but so far, I'm unable to search this info on this generation.

It's frustrating that we're at more than a year the 2019 has been on the market, and this isn't available yet. Has anyone tried installing the Firestone 4174 coil-rite kit? Are the rear coil springs the same inner diameter and length as previous years?

·
Registered
736 Posts
So, reviving an old thread. Anyone know about suspension airbags yet? When I loaded my Rav4 up over the holidays I would really have liked a little boost. I presume it will only get worse as the springs age.

This link claims they fit a 2019, but the installation instructions are for a chrysler minivan. I suppose its possible the springs are the same size? Toyota Rav4 Firestone Air Bags, Rav4 Suspension Air Bags

·
Registered
536 Posts
The only input I can add is that airbags are pretty universal for a given coil diameter, so it is likely the same kit will work on a variety ofmodels. Additionally, coil spacers for a 4th gen Rav also fit the rear of my 2019, which leads me to believe the coils have similar physical sizes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am glad that you revived this thread because we do need some method of "load leveling" for our RAVs.
However. I think you are slightly confused by that link listing the alternative model #4155 (2004-2019 Sienna) when you click on "details". That listing is at the bottom of the #4174 (2007-2018) RAV4, and labeled as "Customers who bought this product also purchased".
The question still remains whether the #4174 will fit our 2019-20 RAVs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I emailed Firestone and this is what they said:

The engineers have not released any info on the 2019 year. In most cases, if a kit is not in the catalog then we aren’t making a kit for it. Since we are working on all 2020 vehicles now then that more and likely is the case. We would have had a kit out by now.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Of note, I built custom spacers that lifted my rav ~5.8" in the rear. But, I run around with around 250lb of gear, including my hitch and bike rack, so it sits about 4.5" above stock now. As I've measured, every 200lb in the cargo area will sag the rear by about an inch. So, most leveling kits actually "pre-sag" the vehicle by 100-200lb worth of height, and if you throw a couple pieces of luggage in the back you are blinding everyone on the road.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's a goofy reply from Firestone. Does that mean that they won't have one for the 2020's (and beyond) too since they are the same generation as the 2019's? ?
I emailed Firestone and this is what they said:

·
Registered
736 Posts
The only input I can add is that airbags are pretty universal for a given coil diameter, so it is likely the same kit will work on a variety ofmodels. Additionally, coil spacers for a 4th gen Rav also fit the rear of my 2019, which leads me to believe the coils have similar physical sizes.
I am pretty sure I can find a bag that would fit by measuring the coils. However then you would need to custom machine the top and bottom spacers to fit. I am still hoping someone comes out with a kit. Given its popularity I am surprised they haven't already. I fully loaded my Rav at Christmas, and the suspension compressed a couple inches likely. Its only to get worse as the springs age.

·
Registered
536 Posts
There are kits that don't require custom mounts at all, no? They simply fit inside the coil and essentially rely on friction between the bag and coil (when pressure is added) to increase the effective spring rate. These are nearly universal and only segretated by coil ID and required length.

·
Registered
736 Posts
There are kits that don't require custom mounts at all, no? They simply fit inside the coil and essentially rely on friction between the bag and coil (when pressure is added) to increase the effective spring rate. These are nearly universal and only segretated by coil ID and required length.
I am pretty sure you need a flat spacer on the top and bottom for the air bag to have a flat surface to push against - at least all the kits I have seen have that. Although perhaps your right and they have the right size spacers for the bag either way? I may just give etrailer a call and ask if they have the dimenions of everything - or just order one for 87 bucks and see if it fits? 2007-2018 Toyota RAV4 - Firestone Coil-Rite Air Bag Helper Springs (NO-DRILL) [REAR] [4174] | $87.75 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

·
Registered
8 Posts
A guy i work with has air shocks on his ranger. They are just shocks that are a direct replacement for the oem ones, with a valve stem to add and remove air as needed. I believe that with a small electric air compressor and an air gauge would make a good set up. It should also be possible to add an auto level valve and a small air tank to keep the vehicle at a set height.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am pretty sure you need a flat spacer on the top and bottom for the air bag to have a flat surface to push against - at least all the kits I have seen have that. Although perhaps your right and they have the right size spacers for the bag either way? I may just give etrailer a call and ask if they have the dimenions of everything - or just order one for 87 bucks and see if it fits? 2007-2018 Toyota RAV4 - Firestone Coil-Rite Air Bag Helper Springs (NO-DRILL) [REAR] [4174] | $87.75 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts
I'm looking forward to hearing the outcome of you fitting these helper bags.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hum, so Australia now has a Firestone airbag that fits: Gen V Rav4 19-20 @ Airbagman.com.au
I've started searching, but so far can't find the part number, CR5163, on any Firestone sites, ARGH!

I sent them a quote request, we'll see what happens.
They have 2 parts numbers, with or without the Airbag Man sleaves.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hum, so Australia now has a Firestone airbag that fits: Gen V Rav4 19-20 @ Airbagman.com.au
I've started searching, but so far can't find the part number, CR5163, on any Firestone sites, ARGH!

I sent them a quote request, we'll see what happens.
They have 2 parts numbers, with or without the Airbag Man sleaves.
I have received an email reply from them asking for details such as year, model, and purpose for their product; e.g. load leveling, increased height, ride softening.
I've answered and will pass along the discussion details.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have received an email reply from them asking for details such as year, model, and purpose for their product; e.g. load leveling, increased height, ride softening.
I've answered and will pass along the discussion details.
That would be great.

Nothing posted on US firestone site yet.

I emailed SD truck springs about the Firestone bags I posted above, simply asking for the dimensions of the bags - and they haven't even bothered to respond.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That would be great.

I emailed SD truck springs about the Firestone bags I posted above, simply asking for the dimensions of the bags - and they haven't even bothered to respond.
Yeah, I've emailed Airbag Man twice now and no reply at all since the 1st request for more details. After I replied that I was in the US, silence from them!

It's almost like something/someone(Toyota USA perhaps) has put a lid on this. Very discouraging and it is ridiculous, but I kind of understand that there may be a Toyota drivern 3-year void of aftermarket stuff, so our warranties are expired before we start making major modifications.

As a side note, when I retrieved my RAV4 from the dealer after its 10k service yesterday, I quizzed my Service Rep. again about lift kits, coil springs, etc. Here were his latest replies:
  1. Q-What lift kits do they install? A-"Only Ready Lift". Q- So not Rough Country, Torq, etc."? A- "No, only what we carry, Ready Lift. But, any kits < 3" lift will not void the warranty". That's new info but I took it with a grain of salt as I've received conflicting info from him in the past.
  2. Q-Can I have the dealership install (heavier) coil springs from another RAV4, like maybe the Adventurer's springs? A-"Yes but the new springs will only carry a 1-year warranty and installing them would nullify my 3-year new car suspension warranty". HUM.........I didn't pursue this info any further.
  3. Trying to get info on load capacities and spring rates of the various sub-models I asked him this. Q-Which RAV4 has the most load-bearing coil springs if I decided to have them installed for me? A-"I'd have to talk to the Parts Department". Again, I didn't pursue further, yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That would be great.

I have ordered a set of those 4174 Coil-rites and my 1st impression is that they may not work because the black upper spacers are wrong, we don't have the bolt on the upper side, and the bags seem too short. I haven't gotten heavy into the install yet because they don't appear correct. Also, they look considerably shorter and wider than those CR5163's from Airbag Man and the black spacer is a different shape in the CR5163's.

Man, I'd bite the bullet and pay the higher price with shipping from Australia, if they'd sell them to me. All I can do is keep asking Airbag Man for a reply, maybe call them on Monday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have ordered a set of those 4174 Coil-rites and my 1st impression is that they may not work because the black upper spacers are wrong, we don't have the bolt on the upper side, and the bags seem too short. I haven't gotten heavy into the install yet because they don't appear correct. Also, they look considerably shorter and wider than those CR5163's from Airbag Man and the black spacer is a different shape in the CR5163's.

Man, I'd bite the bullet and pay the higher price with shipping from Australia, if they'd sell them to me. All I can do is keep asking Airbag Man for a reply, maybe call them on Monday.
If there was a group buy, I would do it!

Can you take measurements and pics for the 4174?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts