Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a little slow here lately so I'll post this. We've been in Florida for 2 1/2 weeks. Doing almost all city driving (though quite a bit on US41 where the speed limit is mostly 45 mph). Temps have been very mild and it's pancake flat so lots of EV mode driving. The trip computer and the gas gauge tell the story: 400+ miles on 3/4 of a tank and an average of over 42 mpg. The fill-up took only 9.2 gallons which calculates to even more but I don't believe it since the trip computer is almost always optimistic (although I did let the auto shut-off on the gas pump shut off twice.)

Pretty cool.

For reference, my last all-city tank up north with mostly sub-freezing temps and very short hops was 28 mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not to disparage the new RAV4 Hybrid, which looks like a great car and which I hope to own someday, but my old 1994 Honda Civic (4 cyl gas engine, manual transmission) routinely got 42 mpg on the highway and around 34 in the city.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not to disparage the new RAV4 Hybrid, which looks like a great car and which I hope to own someday, but my old 1994 Honda Civic (4 cyl gas engine, manual transmission) routinely got 42 mpg on the highway and around 34 in the city.
Excellent point. I had a 1994 Saturn that got those numbers without effort. If you truly want to reduce costs and fuel consumption, buy a smaller car! I test drove a RAV Hybrid yesterday, and I could get the same mileage as a new Honda Civic. The real question is to ask is, do I really need an SUV?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was recently in this boat and I was thinking Accord and Civic too. The reason I stepped up to the SUV route was sitting up higher for a more commanding view of the road. I felt safer in rush hour and at night all the oncoming SUV and truck headlights were not at eye level anymore. I then went the Hybrid route because of the extra power and bonus of the gas mileage.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to disparage the new RAV4 Hybrid...but my old 1994 Honda Civic (4 cyl gas engine, manual transmission) routinely got 42 mpg on the highway and around 34 in the city.
Yes and I used to drive a go-cart and got 100 mpg! :wink

We're talking about a 4000# SUV, not a 2000# econobox. Great fuel economy on a very small car is expected. Not the case with a typical SUV.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looking forward to warmer temperatures so I can see higher MPG's again. Most I ever got was 40.5, but the terrain is hilly so that brings things down a bit. After seeing this though, I think it is definitely possible to get mid 40's in MPG in the right conditions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to admit I was a little dishearten when I drove my 2017 Limited hybrid off the lot with 80 miles. I drove 300 miles to get home from the dealership and the average after the drive was 26.4 miles. I've been averaging 29-30 on highway lately and definitely 34 in city but cannot get higher. That first trip though really screwed with me until I realized how to drive the car the most effective way.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the results of my Florida trip. It's a 1200 mile drive each way and we averaged 31.4 on the way south and 31.8 on the way north. Same route, just in reverse. Somewhat warmer temps on the return trip may have accounted for the higher mileage. While in Florida we drove about 1300 miles and averaged 39.1. All but about 300 will city/suburban driving. Flat terrain and warm temps really helped the mileage. These are all calculated numbers. For the entire trip, the calculated figure was 33.9 and the trip computer said 32.6, a rare occurrence of the trip computer giving a lower reading than the calculation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts