Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First 5000 miles service... Advise needed..!

I am finally close to first 5000 miles on my 2015 RAV4 AWD Limited.
I saw the dealers website today to make an appointment and I saw the services being done for the 5000 miles, which are:

• Tire rotation
  • Inspect wiper blades
  • Fill fluids to proper level as needed
  • Reset oil replacement reminder light
  • Check tire pressure
  • Visually inspect brake
My main concern is according to listing they are Not doing Engine Oil & Filter Change.
Is this normal? From there website, it looks like the engine oil & oil filter change will be done at next 10000 miles, which is 15,000 miles in total.
Please advise, am I being paranoid?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
The fact that it says "reset oil replacement light" is a little strange given that they are not doing an oil change. I wonder if they automatically do the oil change and the listing just shows the extras to justify the $200 or whatever they will charge you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think this is the Maintanance Required Light and is probably set for 5000 miles and does not imply an oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The fact that it says "reset oil replacement light" is a little strange given that they are not doing an oil change. I wonder if they automatically do the oil change and the listing just shows the extras to justify the $200 or whatever they will charge you.
My out-of-service period 5,200 mile check included an oil change. Total cost $38.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I can see the Maintenance Required light on my dashboard when I turn on the engine.
The strange part is, for the 15K miles service, the website clearly states: OW20 Synthetic Engine Oil & Filter Change.
I guess I will give them a call and confirm what's going on.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If the service schedule is the same for a 2015 as the 2014 - oil and filter changes are done every 10k or 12 months. That's why I do my own services.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
I am finally close to first 5000 miles on my 2015 RAV4 AWD Limited.
I saw the dealers website today to make an appointment and I saw the services being done for the 5000 miles, which are:

• Tire rotation
  • Inspect wiper blades
  • Fill fluids to proper level as needed
  • Reset oil replacement reminder light
  • Check tire pressure
  • Visually inspect brake
My main concern is according to listing they are Not doing Engine Oil & Filter Change.
Is this normal? From there website, it looks like the engine oil & oil filter change will be done at next 10000 miles, which is 15,000 miles in total.
Please advise, am I being paranoid?

This service should be covered by the Toyota Care first 24-month, 36,000-mile service plan which came with the RAV. The dealer should do what is noted in the warranty and service interval booklet which should have been included with the owner's manual and other documents in the folder in the glove compartment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On my 2015 RAV, I paid for an oil change at 5000 miles, about 40 bucks. Next week, 10,000 service and oil change, no charge to me.
My car will get a 5k oil change either under free 24k as Toyota suggests or every 5000 that I pay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 0-20 oil change is every 10K miles, just had this done on my 2014 Rav XLE AWD at about 8,500 because the 6 month time was up. No charge and they washed the car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you don't know about the ToyotaCare deal then your salesman wasn't very thorough. You get 2 free oil changes at 10 & 20K and 4 tire rotations (at 6 months or 5K miles) and the other stuff. I couldn't go 10K on the factory fill so I changed oil at 5K myself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My dealership said they rotated my tires on my first 5,000 checkup. I asked them to explain how they did it - because... I had the locking lug nut 'key' in my pocket the whole time. That was an interesting, and very awkward, conversation for the technician to explain to everyone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When in doubt read the owner's manual. The dealer is generally willing to sell you services beyound those required by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There is no oil change scheduled at 5,000 miles. I did my own at 2,100 miles because I store the Rav for 6 months when I head south for the winter, I also changed the plastic oil filter housing with the aluminum one I purchased off Ebay. It was an exact fit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My dealership said they rotated my tires on my first 5,000 checkup. I asked them to explain how they did it - because... I had the locking lug nut 'key' in my pocket the whole time. That was an interesting, and very awkward, conversation for the technician to explain to everyone.
If the locking lugs are Toyota brand, service department has all of them available to them. There really just a few different shapes that Toyota sells.
Of course, it's completely different story if your lugs are after market...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nope - they were not Toyota/Lexus... and I also marked the tires with a silver Sharpie (LF/RF/LR/RR) just to see what happened. All the tires were magically in their original locations.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
My locking lug nuts are Toyota OEM, and my dealer has a complete set of keys for each variation, in addition to McGard locking lugs. And I know they rotate them because of the dirty fingerprints they leave all over the rims. :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts