Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left for our annual east coast trip today. First significant amount of highway driving. First fillup at 395 miles (trip computer showed 55 miles remaining) and trip computer showed 36.6 mpg. Drove pretty much right at the speed limit, 70 mph, except in construction zones. AC was on about 75% of the time. Quite pleased with the first tank. Will report results from the entire trip, estimated to be 2500 miles, in about 10 days.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Sounds great. Getting ready for a road trip myself. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
35.9 mpg for 863 miles after day 2. Stuck in a construction zone today and went about 3 miles in 25 minutes. It was 90 outside so we kept the AC on which meant the engine ran at least half of those 25 minutes. Still happy with the mileage. ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thats actually pretty good for highway I have been averaging 35.2 mostly, except for a few 32.2 tanks. I'm passing those off as bad gasoline, but overall for the life of the car I've gone over 11,000 miles and averaging 35.8 MPG so I think you are right on. Enjoy the rest of your trip:smile

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's great! Especially for it being mostly highway driving. Is that with the A/C on, too?
A/C has been on at least 50% of the time. I was in Eco mode for the first 1000 or so miles then switched it off. Throttle response is better and didn't notice any real difference in gas mileage.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The radar cruise control is heaven-sent. I will probably want the feature in my next car.
Yes, it's pretty cool. I've found the middle distance setting to be the best. It is weird when someone pulls in front of you, slows down, and you decelerate without touching the brakes. That takes some getting used to.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Yes, it's pretty cool. I've found the middle distance setting to be the best. It is weird when someone pulls in front of you, slows down, and you decelerate without touching the brakes. That takes some getting used to.
Does it curse at them for you also? >:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
The radar cruise control is heaven-sent. I will probably want the feature in my next car.
This is an amazing option, I cannot believe how well it works, even when pulling out to pass it responds instantly and resumes the set speed and following distance. Long highway trips are less tiring.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I assume that it (radar CC) turns on the brake lights when it applies the brakes. Would be dangerous if it didn't.
Yes it does, following my wife I have seen it. If the brakes are applied by the vehicles computer the brake lights come on, it is as simple as that.

·
Registered
846 Posts
With the cruise control on, it seems the system knows how not to apply any form of braking when shifting lanes.

I noticed this because on two occasions, I shifted right after the cars on my left passed me by and there was no braking at least initially to bring back that set "distance".

Pretty smart system since I don't want the car behind me in the originally lane to brake all of a sudden if and when the RAV4 automatically brakes (which it doesn't) when shifting lanes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
With the cruise control on, it seems the system knows how not to apply any form of braking when shifting lanes.

I noticed this because on two occasions, I shifted right after the cars on my left passed me by and there was no braking at least initially to bring back that set "distance".

Pretty smart system since I don't want the car behind me in the originally lane to brake all of a sudden if and when the RAV4 automatically brakes (which it doesn't) when shifting lanes.
Exactly my experience, I wonder if the turn signal information is used for the computer to figure out that situation?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Exactly my experience, I wonder if the turn signal information is used for the computer to figure out that situation?
No clue but my guess is probably the steering wheel movement / position as the car can self steer if that feature in the Lane Departure system is enabled, though I kept that off.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I have noticed this also. The sensor tells the computer that the car in front going faster so it doesn't brake. If the car pulled in front and dropped to the same speed, I'm sure the brakes would apply.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts