Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New IIHS ratings show most headlights are lacking

A total 82 headlight combinations in 31 vehicles(2016) were rated (more coming later.) Although, the Rav4 was not rated, the 2016 Prius V with the LED projector lights with hi-beam assist was the only car rated as “good.” It looks to be very similar (if not the same system) to the headlights in the Rav4 Limited hybrid. One of the best features in my Rav4 Limited seems to be the headlight system. At night, these LED headlamps certainly illuminate the road well for a good distance. They help me feel much more comfortable driving at night as compared to my former 2010 Prius.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Since my RAV still has halogen headlamps, has Toyota actually designed a headlamp which does a better job of illumination than halogen, or other systems which supposedly illuminate better but have annoying glare for oncoming vehicle drivers? IIHS is run by insurance companies and I don't always accept what they have to say at face value.

Reactions: jlwatts

·
Registered
20 Posts
FWIW- I had a 2012 Prius 5 with LED headlights- IMO they were the best headlights I ever saw.
It was a big letdown when I got the 2012 PIP (non $5,000+ AT package) with halogen headlights.
I did upgrade the PIP to 55 watt Morimoto HID,s- but even those couldn't outshine the OEM Toyota LED's in the Prius 5.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
But the 2016 Prius V with halogen lights did not fare well.
The survey shows that the high price of acar does not equate to good light quality. It applies to any brand whether it is German, Japanese, ....

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Do we get a brownie point for the auto high beam feature?
The only brownie point I ever got was when my Mom pointed at me and yelled, "Who ate all the brownies?!!" :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm actually kind of happy this report came out.
For the last couple of years I've been complaining about poor lighting in the cars we own (two 3-Series BMW's, a Ford, a CRV, and a Volt) while at the same time the oncoming traffic is producing more 'in your face' light than in older cars.
The Prius 5 with it's LED headlights showed me how well lighting could be done, but it also shows you how bad your other vehicles are.

How's the RAV4 Hybrid optional LED headlights- are they getting good real world reviews by owners?

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is my 2nd car with LED headlights - I previously owned a Lexus CT200h. I can honestly say this is the best car I've ever owned for how good it's headlights are.

I'm actually kind of happy this report came out.
For the last couple of years I've been complaining about poor lighting in the cars we own (two 3-Series BMW's, a Ford, a CRV, and a Volt) while at the same time the oncoming traffic is producing more 'in your face' light than in older cars.
The Prius 5 with it's LED headlights showed me how well lighting could be done, but it also shows you how bad your other vehicles are.

How's the RAV4 Hybrid optional LED headlights- are they getting good real world reviews by owners?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love night driving with my new limited hybrid. The LED is every bright, but that could be a big problem if you drive behind a lower car/ on coming cars that think you're using a high beams... I have to flash my high beam just to show these guys I'm on my lower beams... So here is my tip, don't get too close to other cars with your led, or it will blind them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I love night driving with my new limited hybrid. The LED is every bright, but that could be a big problem if you drive behind a lower car/ on coming cars that think you're using a high beams... I have to flash my high beam just to show these guys I'm on my lower beams... So here is my tip, don't get too close to other cars with your led, or it will blind them!

Or have your headlights checked for proper alignment, I've done a LOT of night driving on 2-lane highways in my Limited Hybrid, and never been flashed. Heavy cargo weight or towing a trailer with high tongue weight will also impact how headlights affect other drivers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll get back to the dealer and have them check it out, but from what I read on other forums, it seems to be a common problem for LED headlight being way too bright.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It'll never happen, but I'd like to see them evaluate one of the 4.3s with the JDM HID swap. Out of curiosity, how do the current gen Prius LEDs compare to the previous gen Lexus HIDs?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can confirm Boldlygo's statement about these LED Headlights on the 2016 Limited, they are far and away the best headlights we have ever had, very white light. We live out in the country, there are no street lights and many deer, these headlights alone make the Limited worthwhile. The auto high beam system works well also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For everyone that has the LED headlights how often, if at all, do you get flashed by oncoming traffic? especially for example, going up or down a hill and you have cars coming in the opposite direction. To me it seems like going up hill the cutoff shoots up higher and blinds oncoming cars

·
Registered
44 Posts
For everyone that has the LED headlights how often, if at all, do you get flashed by oncoming traffic? especially for example, going up or down a hill and you have cars coming in the opposite direction. To me it seems like going up hill the cutoff shoots up higher and blinds oncoming cars

At one point I got flashed every night not only by the upcoming traffic but also from the one ahead of me. How? They'll just slow down and go behind me then high beam me right from behind... But I think it might my front tire having more air then the back tire... Because I haven't got high beamed yet since then. Not yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Alright well glad it is not just me. Even with just halogen projectors I get the high beams at times especially when going uphill and the car is going the opposite direction(downhill). Since they are projectors I assume many cars with led headlights and even HID oem headlights get flashed

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can confirm Boldlygo's statement about these LED Headlights on the 2016 Limited, they are far and away the best headlights we have ever had, very white light. We live out in the country, there are no street lights and many deer, these headlights alone make the Limited worthwhile. The auto high beam system works well also.
Agreed. I've never had a vehicle with headlights as good as the LED's. I still remember my first night in my last vehicle, a VW Passat and they were flat out dangerous at 35 mph on our darkened roads. I immediately brought the car back to the shop the next day and they showed me how they align headlights and the car was to VW spec.

I think I'm spoiled for life now!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts